Disgusterous

Author Topic: Cook books  (Read 3531 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Cook books
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
Mrs GROWLER was given a Jamie Oliver cook book for her burfday last week. She'd asked for it I believe, with the idea in mind that we're all going to eat a healthier diet...apparently, so she says like. ::)

Last night, she took it upon herself to try a recipe out, involving mince, onions, garlic, tomato, a few mushrooms and a stack of boiled rice.
It took her over 2 hours, during which time I started eating the sofa I was that hungry.
When it was finally served up at 7:30, it was absolute shite. sick2:

Left most of it and came in here to gorge marzipan filled chocolates and a fag or two. Proper heathens fodder. cloud9:

Tonight I'M cookin proper grub cus she's at werk.
Pie chips and a bit of mixed veg, with lashings of gravy. happy088

Jamie Oliver. You're a tosser. I'd rather die happy and well fed rather than forced to eat your so called healthy shite. ::)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: Cook books
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »
The new book? The Ministry of Food or some such nonsense? Meant to be easy food for the culinary challenged? I watched the programme, some of it looked repulsive.  sick2:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
The new book? The Ministry of Food or some such nonsense? Meant to be easy food for the culinary challenged? I watched the programme, some of it looked repulsive.  sick2:

That's the one, yes! ::)

Even the brothers wife has come up with some idea from it, that when they come up just before crimbo, we've all got to take the Ministry challenge or summat, meaning we've ALL got to cook a seperate dish for tea.
She suggested I do a salad.
I suggested she talk muchonian shiteymost, and I simply go to the chinky take away.
Sorted. happy088

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »
 eeek:

I would simply off to get takeaway for all.

eeek:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:21:21 AM »
eeek:

I would simply off to get takeaway for all.

eeek:

I quite like you Wenchy. You're 'tuned in' to my way of thinking. eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »
Jamie Oliver ~ nice lad, foul mouth, lovely wife, funny ideas about food these days ~ better when he was starting out with the idea of stripping away all the fancy crap and simply cooking decent grub.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall ~ he can't help his name. Does some damned good recipes and can actually cook (I've eaten his stuff). I like the idea of cooking seasonal foods and love the idea of free food. We make all our jams, pickles, chutneys etc from his recipes (with a little help from the WI book of preserving circa 1955)

Antony Worral Thompson ~ again the name is not his fault. Cooks like an angel (I ate in "Wozzas" when he used to do all the cooking). Like me he hates "Cheffy" food and all that faffing about. Wozza is particularly good at diabetic diets, low GI foods etc.

River Cafe Bints ~ can't remember their names. Ate there once ~ bloody awful

Most other celeb chefs I wouldn't give you thank you for although a night with Nigella would not be refused ~ whether we ate first or not.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Day-Bill-Granger/dp/1740458583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228220517&sr=8-1

I'm asking for this this year. I've watched his programme a lot and he seems to be all about basic food, no fancy bollocks and a lot of it seems to be food people would actually eat and not faffy in the ingredients department.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indian-Food-Made-Anjum-Anand/dp/1844005712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228220593&sr=1-1

She seems to be all the rage this year too. And having watched a couple of her programmes it also seems to be fairly low faff for what is inherently quite a difficult area of cooking.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »
A quick count reveals 80 cookery books on the shelf in the dining room including a note book of my Mother's hand written recipes from WWII and one called "The Vulcan Cook Book" by a Mrs D. D. Cottington Taylor (Director of the Good Housekeeping Institute) that was published in 1936 and came free with a Gas Stove made by the Vulcan Stove Co. Ltd. of Exeter. Some splendid  pre-war recipes in that.

Another that I acquired from a second hand book sale dates from 1905 and is called "The Classic Cookery of Baron Brisse"
It contains a menu for three meals a day for 366 days of the year and includes the recipes to make all the dishes.
An example that Nick might try (let's face it he might!)
Larks Cutlets
Bone your larks, flatten them out as much as possible to the shape of a cutlet (nowadays we would say "butterfly" them), fill all holes with forcemeat, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook in butter over a quick fire; when done dish up and cover with any sauce that may be fancied.

The rest of that meal for December 12th is:

Rice Soup
Braised leg of Mutton
Lark Cutlets
Lobsters a la bordelaise
Spinach with veloute sauce
Vanilla ice

By golly ~ they knew how to live

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
I can't stand the fat tongued mockeney - I'd give him a good shoeing given half a chance....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »
I can't stand the fat tongued mockeney - I'd give him a good shoeing given half a chance....  noooo:

He can't help his disability ~ and I expect he puts a non slip mat under his ladder  whistle:

Mind you he can irritate me too.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »

He can't help his disability ~ and I expect he puts a non slip mat under his ladder  whistle:

Well he's really pissed me off now anyway. Some wimmen take what he says as gospel, whereas in reality, most of it's shite, and it's ME that's suffering as a consequence now. cussing:
Bloody cook books....devils words. eveilgrin:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »
Jamie Oliver is alright. Is he irritating, yes totally, holier than thou, absolutely, has he got worse as the years pass, undoubtedly. However, leaving his latest programme aside, he does do some good work. And seems to believe in what he does 100%. I know he makes money out of his endeavours but he's done a lot of good too.

Whilst a lot of what he says may seem common sense to us there are people to whom it doesn't and thanks to Jamie Oliver an awful lot of kids get an occasional home cooked meal which wouldn't have happened before.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »

Well he's really pissed me off now anyway. Some wimmen take what he says as gospel, whereas in reality, most of it's shite, and it's ME that's suffering as a consequence now. cussing:

Best pla(i)ce for you my lad is ~ down the chip shop.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »

Best pla(i)ce for you my lad is ~ down the chip shop.

I'm not adverse to a bit of home cooking....prefer to do my 'stuff' outdoors mind....but not overly complicated fancy gunge, just straight forward wholesome filling hot and tasty stuff, no frills, basic like.
Called 'Buffalo grub' when I cook. All honest, hits the spot, and earthy like. cloud9:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
Is that coz you drop it in the mud?  rubschin: