Author Topic: The postie just came  (Read 776 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
The postie just came
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:05:33 PM »
And I have a letter from the "Interim Corporate Director : Lifelong Learning" (sic)

It contains four punctuation errors, five spelling mistakes and so many gramatical errors that it is almost incomprehensible.

The letter is to inform all parents of a change to the registration of sickness absences.

I made sense of it when I read the signature and read the letter again, out loud, in a Peter Sellers "Goodness Gracious Me" accent.  Banghead

Christ knows how the Welsh will cope if his English is this bad. (The letter is in dual language format as per usual)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Re: The postie just came
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
You can imagine how many language variants there are on council material down here  ::)

And, since you mention it, what time is this for the postie to turn up? It's the same here... 2 or 3 o'clock these days  evil:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
All our official stuff is in Greek and English with the English being quite good...

Stuff from the village office that has been translated is quite amusing tho...  razz:

We don't get post delivered...  noooo:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
You can imagine how many language variants there are on council material down here  ::)

And, since you mention it, what time is this for the postie to turn up? It's the same here... 2 or 3 o'clock these days  evil:

Post times here have always been mid afternoon ~ well at least for the last 7.5 years that we have lived here. Rural Delivery see boyo.

When the PO announced this once a day delivery and that it would be from mid morning to mid afternoon a lot of businesses complained to us on Post Watch. The daftest being one guy who moaned that he would have to wait until the afternoons to get the cheques from his customers. Silly arse didn't seem to understand that whenever he got them the banks would still take three days to clear them.
One suggestion I did make at a meeting of small businesses was that they simply hold the  post over from Monday afternoon until Tuesday Morning before opening it. Do this everyday and you are getting your post early in the morning. ~ Fools couldn't work that out either. I even pointed out that most of them don't open on Saturdays so they already had a start with Sat's mail on Monday. Leave Monday's pm delivery until Tuesday Morning and away you go.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:42:24 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:39:20 PM »

Post times here have always been mid afternoon ~ well at least for the last 7.5 years that we have lived here. Rural Delivery see boyo.
He prolly has to milk cows and stuff in the mornings like...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »
When I first moved here, some 11 years ago, the postie was a really nice guy, Mike. He used to deliver between 9 and 10am, was chatty, friendly and most of the people round here knew him.
About three years later he was mugged doing his round and quite seriously hurt. After he recovered he decided he didn't really fancy doing the walks any more and I don't blame him. He went back to the sorting office. Since then we've had any number of posties, some ok, some downright useless.
The timing has slipped progressively from 9am to now around 2pm. The incidents of wrongly delivered mail have increased and I'm fed up with writing complaint letters each time and getting the same old "We're looking into it" guff. They once sent me a book of stamps as compensation  ::)

Years ago I had a friend who had a business in Genoa. He told me that one of his business expenses was a bung to the local Mafia to ensure that his post was delivered. How long before that happens here, eh?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:56:04 PM »
We have to be nice to Andreas the 'postman' (he sorts the mail and puts it into the boxes in the village) to ensure we get ours...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
When I first moved here, some 11 years ago, the postie was a really nice guy, Mike. He used to deliver between 9 and 10am, was chatty, friendly and most of the people round here knew him.
About three years later he was mugged doing his round and quite seriously hurt. After he recovered he decided he didn't really fancy doing the walks any more and I don't blame him. He went back to the sorting office. Since then we've had any number of posties, some ok, some downright useless.
The timing has slipped progressively from 9am to now around 2pm. The incidents of wrongly delivered mail have increased and I'm fed up with writing complaint letters each time and getting the same old "We're looking into it" guff. They once sent me a book of stamps as compensation  ::)

Years ago I had a friend who had a business in Genoa. He told me that one of his business expenses was a bung to the local Mafia to ensure that his post was delivered. How long before that happens here, eh?

Tafia round here look you. Only a tenner at Christmas.  whistle:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »

A tenner you say?  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »

doh:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

No I said a tenner ~ round here what you show is known as a big headed, self opinionated Twat!

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 04:18:43 PM »
No I said a tenner ~ round here what you show is known as a big headed, self opinionated Twat!

I can believe that. I've only seen him once and he was in fact very good in performance. Outside of that, well  ::)