Author Topic: Which laptop?  (Read 11272 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Which laptop?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
I have sent one for 299.Beat that
Is it an auction then...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
Good grief  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 12:13:33 PM »
I know virtually zilch about laptops, but have decided to buy a couple for Growlers jnr. so they can do all their course work without hogging this thing all night long.
Too cold in here for them anyway....as i like it.

What should I be looking for, and where from?
 Nowt flash or expensive, but capable of this 'wireless' internet thingy which is something else I know absolutely nowt about. confused:
How much are you prepared to spend like...?  rubschin:
£5-600 for a pair. Must be identical, or ther'll be accusations of favouritism. ::)
Need to be able to use them wirelessy too I suppose?
Will they be able to link up with my current server, or will they have to be used via some other provider?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »
If you have wireless set up in the house they will be able to link to it with little effort (by them ~ you need do nothing). If you do not have wireless setup in the house then they obviously will only be able to use their wireless laptops in McDonalds or similar.

Try http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/?adnetwork=af

But remember to check that VAT is included in the price as they show both with and without VAT

This should do them ~ if they don't overload with games and music. If they do then get them an external hard drive each. They're only £20 or so from Amazon.
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4535

Then again it is not wireless so they would need USB Wireless adapters (£16 each from Amazon)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:30:56 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 12:34:06 PM »
If you have wireless set up in the house they will be able to link to it with llittle effort (by them ~ you need do nothing). If you do not have wireless setup in the house then they obviously will only be able to use their wireless laptops in McDonalds or similar.

Try http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/?adnetwork=af

But remeber to check theat VAT is included in the price as they show both with and without VAT

This should do them ~ if they don't overload with games and music. If they do then get them an external hard drive each. They're only £20 or so from Amazon.
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4535

No. Haven't got 'wireless' here.
Is this just another expression for 'remote'? Bit like my mouse is 'wireless'?

All sounds very duanting and time consuming. Growler jnr will have the task of setup, with interfering know it all (but knows nowt in all honesty) little sister in close attendance. Rows will surely follow...guaranteed. ::)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »
Those Viking laptops sound good Nick....not that I'd know any different like. ::)

Mrs Growler is now twittering about them being unsafe to actually use on you lap now ffs! Banghead
She reads and listens to far too much shite. ::)

Online Nick

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 12:39:14 PM »
She scould stick needled in them first.Callme, you tit!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »
Mrs G is right ~ Laptops do get very hot when in use and can cause blistering to thighs if used for lengthy periods without something to rest them on. You can buy special trays or alternatively sit at a table/desk. Some batteries have been known to "burst into flames" but that was more a design fault than anything.
Wireless connection means that you don't have to plug into the telephone line and more than one person at a time can be connected. You need a Wireless Hub attached to the phone line. You can use the phone at the same time as both Growler's and Mrs G are on line. It is nothing like your wireless mouse because the "hub" does need to be connected to the mains as well.

Best to get are without doubt Netscape (around £45)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »
Mrs G is right ~ Laptops do get very hot when in use and can cause blistering to thighs if used for lengthy periods without something to rest them on. You can buy special trays or alternatively sit at a table/desk. Some batteries have been known to "burst into flames" but that was more a design fault than anything.
Wireless connection means that you don't have to plug into the telephone line and more than one person at a time can be connected. You need a Wireless Hub attached to the phone line. You can use the phone at the same time as both Growler's and Mrs G are on line. It is nothing like your wireless mouse because the "hub" does need to be connected to the mains as well.

Cheers again Snoop.
No, Mrs Growler is rambling on about then radiating harmful rays that can cause cancer or summat. Bit like all this todge about mobile phones. ::)

EVERYTHING is bad for our health ffs wumman.
She won't listen to me though. Banghead

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »

Cheers again Snoop.
No, Mrs Growler is rambling on about then radiating harmful rays that can cause cancer or summat. Bit like all this todge about mobile phones. ::)

EVERYTHING is bad for our health ffs wumman.
She won't listen to me though. Banghead

Wimmin think everything will cause cancer of one sort or another.

I figure we all gotta die of sometime. If your name is on it then too bad, if it ain't you will die of something else.

Oh and if you have Broadband (which you must have for wireless to work) DON'T tell your IP that you are going wireless or they will start whittering on about limits and fvck knows what else. What they don't know won't hurt them. My provider wanted me to only use their equipment, wanted me to restrict to only one hub and one wireless machine etc etc. I said bollox and bought a Netscape hub that sometimes runs up to 4 laptops at a time + my PC. They do not know.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:00:52 PM by Snoopy »

Online Nick

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »
Shouldn't this be simple?  rubschin:

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
Oh and if you have Broadband (which you must have for wireless to work) DON'T tell your IP that you are going wireless or they will start whittering on about limits and fvck knows what else. What they don't know won't hurt them. My provider wanted me to only use their equipment, wanted me to restrict to only one hub and one wireless machine etc etc. I said bollox and bought a Netscape hub that sometimes runs up to 4 laptops at a time + my PC. They do not know.

Never even crossed my mind to tell them.

I have a Belkin modem/router - easy to set up and works perfectly.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »
I'd get the bt router, easiest set up in the world even MILFH managed it with only one call to Chez Wench.

The heat thing, yes they get hot. Don't use them in bed on the duvet as NO air at all can get in. We use laptrays for ours or use them on the table.

Online Nick

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
Don't use them in bed on the duvet as NO air at all can get in

Methane  noooo:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster