Author Topic: Which laptop?  (Read 11279 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Which laptop?
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
 noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »
 shutup:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
A sodden Mrs Growler has just returned, armed with a piece of paper from nice Mr independent computer man in Chester...apparently, so she says. confused:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2727, 2 of, with wireless router thingy, all supplied and fitted by himself for £768, less a bit of dissy for purchasing two. Probably means a tenner then ey? ::)

How's that sound, cus I have no idea. Don't understand all these technical specs tbh, and nor does Nick apparently. That makes me feel marginally 'not alone' then.
Get him to install and configure a wireless router too and you'll be all sorted won't you...?  happy088

Argos sell them at £293.61 each. I note that they only have 1GB RAM, even for Vista Home Basic I'd want 2GB.

Still 2 x £293.61 plus a modem router at about £60 then he's charging about £100 installation ~ not bad.

You serious or being sarcastic? I really don't know. noooo:

£384 for the pair all up and running. Could save a great deal of mither and heartache.
Can the memorys be increased easily enough from 1 to 2 GB's? Just a matter of slotting a new board in or summat isn't it...for a price obviously. ::)

Laptop memory can be expanded but if memory serves me correctly its more expensive and a little more fiddly than upgrading it on a desktop.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:11 AM »
A sodden Mrs Growler has just returned, armed with a piece of paper from nice Mr independent computer man in Chester...apparently, so she says. confused:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2727, 2 of, with wireless router thingy, all supplied and fitted by himself for £768, less a bit of dissy for purchasing two. Probably means a tenner then ey? ::)

How's that sound, cus I have no idea. Don't understand all these technical specs tbh, and nor does Nick apparently. That makes me feel marginally 'not alone' then.
Get him to install and configure a wireless router too and you'll be all sorted won't you...?  happy088

Argos sell them at £293.61 each. I note that they only have 1GB RAM, even for Vista Home Basic I'd want 2GB.

Still 2 x £293.61 plus a modem router at about £60 then he's charging about £100 installation ~ not bad.

You serious or being sarcastic? I really don't know. noooo:

£384 for the pair all up and running. Could save a great deal of mither and heartache.
Can the memorys be increased easily enough from 1 to 2 GB's? Just a matter of slotting a new board in or summat isn't it...for a price obviously. ::)

Laptop memory can be expanded but if memory serves me correctly its more expensive and a little more fiddly than upgrading it on a desktop.
Laptop memory used to always be bespoke for different manufacturers... However I was pleasantly supriised to find mine had a 'standard' chip and I could buy an extra 1G in PC World the last time I was over for buttons...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
Reading customer reports on this model last night. Generally ok, and good vfm in their opinions, but very noisy fan apparently.
Someone said it actually hasd a button to quieten it down!  eeek:

The more expensive versions didn't fare so well.

Dunno. The Beano and Bunty annuals are a much cheaper option. whistle:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »
Put it this way. At least if it has a loud fan you will know when they are using them.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »

Someone said it actually has a button to quieten it down!  eeek:

Just thought.
Off switch! lol:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:11 AM »
Put it this way. At least if it has a loud fan you will know when they are using them.

That'll be virtually continuous then. ::)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2008, 11:17:51 PM »
Whosa difference between these 'notebooks' I keep seeing advertised and a lap top then? confused:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:58 PM »
Whosa difference between these 'notebooks' I keep seeing advertised and a lap top then? confused:
Notebooks can't dance
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »
Notebooks can't dance

Oh very droll Mr DS, very droll. ::)

You Nick's replacement for shite talk for a week then ey? lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 04:11:25 AM »
Notebook = smaller
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
And I also believe with less memory? I could have that wrong though. I've sort of viewed notebooks as fine for browsing but not for anything else.  rubschin:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
Notebook = smaller

Oh, that was simple enough then. eeek:

Smaller = fiddlier then I suppose?
No particular advantages other than size.

Good joib Nick's not here to answer that one. ::)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
So I bought Mrs TMR (to be) a laptop for Christmas - a HP G60. Very nice it is too. This morning, a fairly innocuous request - "TMR, how do you operate the built-in webcam?"

Two hours later, after finally downloading god knows how many patches and "You Cam" software, we have it going...

It would be far too easy to simply have the right bloody software installed in the first place, wouldn't it  cussing: