Author Topic: Kids. Eldest causes explosion  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Kids. Eldest causes explosion
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:00:10 AM »
Is an earring really worth a huge family row?  scared2:

Probably not BUT a man has a right to expect some respect from his son. If the boy/man wishes to wear an earing that is his affair but why flaunt it to his father? Why not take the damn thing out when he visits if he knows it is going to upset the old man? That is what annoys ~ the obviously deliberate attempt to stick two fingers up to his father's known feelings on the matter. He might just as well tell his father to fvck off and have done with it. Fathers have always expressed their feelings, which I grant are not always reasonable prejudices, about the way their children dress/behave etc. Our ideals are from an older generation and, in a teenager, we expect some rebellion against them but at 31 this son clearly has no respect for his father's feelings and is certainly old enough to know better.
Personally I would make it clear that he is not welcome in my company unless he agrees to compromise and take the earing out ~ but don't listen to me, my eldest is 40 and I haven't seen him for many years ~ since in fact I told him what I thought of him and his attitudes. No earing was involved but the principle remains. If he cannot take your feelings into account than tell him so go away and grow up. In my case it probably helps that I do not live with his mother so don't have the worry about her feelings on the subject. I don't know if this is also the case with Growler ~ if not it does make matters a bit trickier but frankly if he won't listen then simply leave the house when he visits. It certainly is not worth getting yourself wound up about. If his earing and grinning upsets you then, as he arrives, leave and go into the garage, down the pub or for a walk. The message will soon get through ~ at least it did with my boy. I have no wish to see him and am frankly happier not to.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
I didn't know about the flaunting! I agree that is a totally different kettle of fish. I remember when I had my navel pierced just before going home for Christmas. Rather than getting off the plane wearing a full length jumper, I arrived in a crop top and open cardigan. Rubbing it in.  redface: In hindsight not the best of plans to start off a peaceful Christmas with Father Wench.  noooo:

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
On a less contentious note, I unearthed a crumled scrap of paper the other day which revealed that today is 'Non Uniform Day' at school. Arrangements were made.

At 8.37 this morning The Boy announced that 'Miss Dibbin' had decreed children should go in today dressed as 'Victorian Street Urchins'  evil:

In that case he could go as normal  evil:

Why wait until 13 minutes before school time to reveal this idiocy?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Nick

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
I didn't know about the flaunting! I agree that is a totally different kettle of fish. I remember when I had my navel pierced just before going home for Christmas. Rather than getting off the plane wearing a full length jumper, I arrived in a crop top and open cardigan. Rubbing it in.  redface: In hindsight not the best of plans to start off a peaceful Christmas with Father Wench.  noooo:

Yup. It's deliberately provocative behaviour. (How did they find your navel?)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »
I was 18 and had been a starving student for four months. Couldn't afford food.  noooo:

Online Nick

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »
So it would be more of a hunt these days?

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Well who looks exactly the same at 30 as they did as a teenager!?!? It wouldn't be that bad!

Online Nick

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 09:27:16 AM »
Of course, of course

char048

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »
Is an earring really worth a huge family row?  scared2:

Probably not BUT a man has a right to expect some respect from his son. If the boy/man wishes to wear an earing that is his affair but why flaunt it to his father? Why not take the damn thing out when he visits if he knows it is going to upset the old man? That is what annoys ~ the obviously deliberate attempt to stick two fingers up to his father's known feelings on the matter. He might just as well tell his father to fvck off and have done with it. Fathers have always expressed their feelings, which I grant are not always reasonable prejudices, about the way their children dress/behave etc. Our ideals are from an older generation and, in a teenager, we expect some rebellion against them but at 31 this son clearly has no respect for his father's feelings and is certainly old enough to know better.
Personally I would make it clear that he is not welcome in my company unless he agrees to compromise and take the earing out ~ but don't listen to me, my eldest is 40 and I haven't seen him for many years ~ since in fact I told him what I thought of him and his attitudes. No earing was involved but the principle remains. If he cannot take your feelings into account than tell him so go away and grow up. In my case it probably helps that I do not live with his mother so don't have the worry about her feelings on the subject. I don't know if this is also the case with Growler ~ if not it does make matters a bit trickier but frankly if he won't listen then simply leave the house when he visits. It certainly is not worth getting yourself wound up about. If his earing and grinning upsets you then, as he arrives, leave and go into the garage, down the pub or for a walk. The message will soon get through ~ at least it did with my boy. I have no wish to see him and am frankly happier not to.

Spot on Snoops'. happy088
Worded with p'raps a bit more reason understanding and calmness than me though, granted. redface:
So glad you're in here. You understand. cloud9:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 09:38:49 AM »
Meanwhile, the never ending search for the 'hidden gems' of Mrs Growlers jewellery collection continue unabated amidst much mutterings of "oh how stupid am I"?
I'm merely looking on, suggesting possible ridiculous hiding places with much sarcasm and agreement, which in essence, probably isn't helping her increasingly darkening mood. lol:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »
Meanwhile, the never ending search for the 'hidden gems' of Mrs Growlers jewellery collection continue unabated amidst much mutterings of "oh how stupid am I"?
I'm merely looking on, suggesting possible ridiculous hiding places with much sarcasm and agreement, which in essence, probably isn't helping her increasingly darkening mood. lol:

Satisfying, isn't it.  whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
On a less contentious note, I unearthed a crumled scrap of paper the other day which revealed that today is 'Non Uniform Day' at school. Arrangements were made.

At 8.37 this morning The Boy announced that 'Miss Dibbin' had decreed children should go in today dressed as 'Victorian Street Urchins'  evil:

In that case he could go as normal  evil:

Why wait until 13 minutes before school time to reveal this idiocy?

The answer is to ask him nightly for all letters etc. Alternatively ask the school sec to post all such letters to you, provide her with stamped envelopes for the purpose. It worked for me. One thing I can tell you is that no child will ever bring home all notes, letters etc issued by the school and put them in your anticipatory hand on the day they were issued. You have to get smarter and be one step, at least, in front of him. You know that these letters are issued all the time and he has a track record (as do my three) of failing to hand them over until the last minute. I went to the school about it and asked what sort of trained and experienced teacher could honestly say that they believed a child would remember such things. I got a lot of bulls hit about giving the child responsibility and showing trust in them. My laughter caused some offence but I got my own way and letters come directly to me. Children have many much more important things on their minds than being used as unpaid postmen.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »

Satisfying, isn't it.  whistle:

Most DS, most! lol:

Making me feel all warm and cosy inside. cloud9:
Earings problems are fast fading. Unfortunately I have got to visit Growler jnr/snr's household later on today to collect a car seat.
I SHALL remain calm.....ish, probably/hopefully/maybe. rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »

I assume you have asked her if the boy's earing matches any of the missing items ~ I am not suggesting he would have nicked them but it might be worth making a point ~ what harm can it do to rub it in? ..... just as you leave the house would be best I feel. whistle:

Online Nick

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »

At least she admits guilt!