Author Topic: Proxy settings  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Proxy settings
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »
If your firewall is blocking access then adding MSN to the list of accepted programs should solve the problem.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
Peculiar.  rubschin:

It appears to forward but the mail does not arrive.  noooo:
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
I have just viewed my Hotmail In-box using the Google browser which is standard with Firefox.
I then forwarded a message using Gmail to myself at my business email address (which is not web based) and accessed it via Windows Mail.
No problemo. whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »
Just me then. To be honest, doesn't bother me. I don't use hotmail anymore, it was only when Mr Wench was trying to use my laptop.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
Just me then. To be honest, doesn't bother me. I don't use hotmail anymore, it was only when Mr Wench was trying to use my laptop.

That would be the DELL laptop with the installed by DELL software would it?  whistle:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:57 PM »
Thats simple to fix though hound. Fdisk the laptop and then reinstall the Operating system from scratch. No more useless Dell software.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
Thats simple to fix though hound. Fdisk the laptop and then reinstall the Operating system from scratch. No more useless Dell software.

True but you have to then buy the Software. DELL do not give you the installation discs when you buy one of their machines. They give you only a copy of the DELL installation discs licenced to them by M/Soft.
I had one remember and it was sh*te.

When I tried to do what you have suggested I was quoted £159 for the discs (at PC World)
Now I am sure I could (or YOU) could have found them cheaper but when the system is down, completely non-functioning and you don't have the dubious advantage of being able to steal computer time from an employer you have little choice. I elected to bin the DELL and start again with something better.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:14:25 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »

That would be the DELL laptop with the installed by DELL software would it?  whistle:

No and no! I didn't get the dell in the end.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »

So you can sit down without pain then?
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 01:25:03 PM »

shocked003 Sense at last ~ and you talked BM into buying one <snigger> ...... You're even worse than me  eveilgrin:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »

True but you have to then buy the Software. DELL do not give you the installation discs when you buy one of their machines. They give you only a copy of the DELL installation discs licenced to them by M/Soft.

When I tried to do what you have suggested I was quoted £159 for the discs (at PC World)
Now I am sure I could (or YOU) could have found them cheaper but when the system is down, completely non-functioning and you don't have the dubious advantage of being able to steal computer time from an employer you have little choice. I elected to bin the DELL and start again with something better.

Technically there is a way around it. While you dont get the software you do get the windows serial number so if you know anyone else with a copy of the same version of Windows use their disks with your number.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

Technically there is a way around it. While you dont get the software you do get the windows serial number so if you know anyone else with a copy of the same version of Windows use their disks with your number.

Yes but that solution lacked the satisfaction of heaving the DELL into the skip at the council tip.  eveilgrin:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
I can't really talk seeing as i'm hoping to snag one of the old Dell laptops when the company does its upgrade next year.  redface:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »
I'd have had the dell if they had it in stock.  redface:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »