Author Topic: Mr Nick is a very naughty boy  (Read 14315 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Mr Nick is a very naughty boy
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:48 PM »
Roll on 2011!  Banghead

I am in a marginally better frame of mind, partly thanks to you lot. Still got the court to go to. And Mrs Nick to contend with, of course.  noooo:

As I've said many times Nick, it's best to get these things off your chest rather than keep them bottled up.
Whilst not wishing to condone drink/driving, it REALLY isn't the end of the world for you getting nicked. Bloody inconvienient yes, but you'll get through it.
If you'd relied on the car for werk, now that would have been a different scenario. That's why if I do have a alcholic drink in the pub, which is very rare now, I'll make sure I've had some scran first, and then only have 1 pint. No licence will mean no job and probably loss of Growler Towers too. Just too damned risky, apart from the moral side of things.

I reckon a 12 month ban...not sure about the rehab course tbh...and a £250 fine.

Learn from it...as I'm sure you already have like... and start drinking J2O's like I do now when I go the boozer. ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:12:45 PM by GROWLER »

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
In the good old days they would have transported  him to Australia  eyes:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 06:33:18 AM »
In the good old days they wouldn't have 'trapped' him and put him through it all...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 06:39:17 AM »
Ay, true BM and a good morning to you Sir.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »

Think I'd rather 'ave THAT than have to face the wroth of Mrs Nick tbh. scared2:

He is a bearded mouse mind you. ::)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
Think I'd rather 'ave THAT than have to face the wroth of Mrs Nick tbh. scared2:

But surely even Mrs Nick (once the initial mushroom cloud has disappeared) will realise that Nick is just as upset about this situation as she is. Recriminations serve no purpose now.

We all make mistakes and errors of judgement. Some have consequences , others we get away with. The ability to learn from these is what we would expect, and should judge people on if they continue to repeat the same behaviours or attitudes. I don't believe this is a mistake Nick will make again (hopefully) . I think most of us when hearing about your situation have thought how easily it could have been any of us at some point .

x

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:21:56 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
Trouble is though MD, she's a wumman, and wimmin tend to harp on about our misdemeanors long long after any indescretion that may befall upon us alledged inferior males.

My drunken rampage damage from 8 years ago still gets dragged up to this day when it suits Mrs G. ::)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »
Trouble is though MD, she's a wumman, and wimmin tend to harp on about our misdemeanors long long after any indescretion that may befall upon us alledged inferior males.

My drunken rampage damage from 8 years ago still gets dragged up to this day when it suits Mrs G. ::)

This is true and inevitable I'm afraid - we really should learn to let things go  noooo:
Skubber

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »

This is true and inevitable I'm afraid - we really should learn to let things go  noooo:

Well don't just sit there gassing about it wumman, start a revolution! Banghead

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »

But surely even Mrs Nick (once the initial mushroom cloud has disappeared) will realise that Nick is just as upset about this situation as she is. Recriminations serve no purpose now.

We all make mistakes and errors of judgement. Some have consequences , others we get away with. The ability to learn from these is what we would expect, and should judge people on if they continue to repeat the same behaviours or attitudes. I don't believe this is a mistake Nick will make again (hopefully) . I think most of us when hearing about your situation have thought how easily it could have been any of us at some point .

x

We are making the assumption that we are dealing with a reasonable person here. Yes Nick had drunk the wine and should not have been driving BUT Mrs Nick had committed to picking up The Boy and then, at the last minute, decided that she would not be able to, leaving Nick in the position of having to take a chance that he would be OK.
What else could he have done? His first thought was that he didn't want The Boy hanging around, after dark, wondering where his promised lift was. I cannot help but wonder if the rage of Mrs Nick is not allied to a feeling of guilt because she was the one who broke the carefully constructed plan setting in train the sequence of events that end up with poor old Nick being .......... errrrrrrrr ......... Nicked!

Anyway 'tis done now and needs to be mended AND that is not going to be done by throwing a prolonged strop about it. The man needs support not anger from those nearest to him.

An afterthought: Knowing The Boy, as I am privileged to do, I'm willing to bet that this has placed Nick upon his pantheon of heroes. Pulled by the rozzers, carted off to the gaol, held in the cells etc. My two are really impressed although they do see the downside of the lack of a car and I have explained all about the horrors (?) of drinking and driving. whistle:

As for Growler's point ~ My ex wife is still banging on about my alleged failings (whenever she sees our daughter) and we divorced in 1986! BTW her "new" husband (who I refer to as "My Husband in Law") to whom she has now been married for 18 years is just as bad ~ apparently.

My comment to said daughter when told this was "Perhaps she should ask herself how come she picked so unwisely TWICE?" was duly reported back and the feedback is unprintable. "It is not her fault" about sums up the tirade.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:44:51 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »

I don't work weekends  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »

I don't work weekends  noooo:

No ~ her weekend hobby is cleaning the house, tidying the child's room, washing and ironing, baking, cooking, mending anything broken during the week, driving daughter to and from various urgent meetings with little friends and, if she is really lucky, she may even find time for a cup of coffee. ~ well that's what my wife tells me anyway  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
Can I open this up a bit...?  rubschin:

When I started driving getting pissed and driving your car was de rigueur, people would always boast about how much they'd drunk and still driven home. Or they'd driven home because they were too pissed to walk... A teacher at my old school was caught completely paralytic, driving the wrong way around a roundabout with his hazard warning lights flashing. How we laughed when he told us that he had them on 'because he was a hazard'. Needless to say he was not banned... 

Clearly that situation couldn't continue and I'm sure that many lives were lost because of that attitude.

However, now I feel we've gone too far the other way... drinking drivers have been demonised by PR campaigns and programmes like Road Wars which always show drunks driving across pavements, running down school children etc. followed by the inevitable 'statistics' about how many deaths/accidents are caused as a result of drink...

As a result the Sheeple gladly accept that the drinking limit should be reduced and applaud 'sting' operations like that which apparently caused Nick's arrest (taking down the number plates over everybody parked outside the pub)...

But can we believe the government statistics on all this? On balance and past experience I suspect that the statistics on drinking and driving are as reliable as a twenty year old Skoda - you can't believe anything this lot says...  noooo:

I'll bet that the majority of accidents 'involving alcohol' are caused by regular offenders who have alcohol issues - they've probably been banned already but persist in drinking and driving (I know people that fall into this category). Or alcohol is attributed to the cause of an 'accident' which would have happened anyway...

I'll bet that the majority of people that are banned from driving while under the influence of alcohol are people like Nick who have just had a couple of drinks and are perfectly capable of controlling their car. At least his car was taxed and insured and he had a valid driving licence.

I know it is proven that alcohol affects your abilities and the speed of response but lets face it, I reckon even under the influence I can drive a damn site better than the majority of motorists on the road who are too arrogant or simply unable to control their vehicle to drive safely.

Personally, I think the police should be out arresting those that drive without a licence or tax or insurance or in wrecks without MoTs. And obviously anybody who is unable to control their vehicle in an appropriate manner be that through inability, arrogance or the influence of alcohol...

When every car and everybody on the road is legal and all the fuckwits that can't or won't drive within the law are taken off the road (jailed if necessary) and when all the repeat offenders are locked-up then lets look at the statistics and see if there is a reason for arresting otherwise law abiding citizens like Nick who quite frankly have done nothing wrong IMHO.

That is all...  redface:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »
Agreed!

At any and every accident the "Blow in this tube" business takes place. If a "positive" is obtained it makes no difference that the other party was on the wrong side of the road, driving at twice the speed limit whilst having a row with his wife. The poor old sod toddling home from a small sherry at the vicarage is the one who will end up in court. AND that is how they get their statistics.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:40:45 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Nick

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
WHat have I started?

I fooked up and have to live with the consequences. We can talk about all kind of pros and cons, and yes, the rozzers do set out to trap people, and do it regularly round here. I have spoken to a number of folks int eh village, all of whom have been 'done' at one time or another and the response is sympathetic, not least because at the other end of the borough (Growler knows where) the streets are alive with violence and untaxed cars. THis place is a soft target.

I know a lot of people who, over the years, have said @I can't recall how I got home.' We have all heard it. My mate S drives daily from pub to pub and Mr G knows another one who does likewise. Both have said to me 'There burt for the grace of god....'

I have regularly driven over the speed limit (on motorways) but never been caught. This time I was targetted.

I have done some research, taken some legal advice, decided on my course of action. Main consequence now will be some continuing GBH Of the earhole, expense on taxis and a lot of inconveninece which I will doubtless find ways around (online shopping being one of them). Public transport hereabouts is crap, so I may have to walk more, or find my old bike  noooo:

Thanks again for all your knind words. Watch this space for developments. D Day is Feb 18th, so I have another month of mobility which I shall make maximum use of.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile