Disgusterous

Author Topic: Dialing from abroad  (Read 4242 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Dialing from abroad
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »
Miss Moose is going on her jolly holiday on Saturday and has asked me how she texts home.  lol:

Apparently, so Orange say like, you have to dial in +44 and then knock off the first zero.
Trouble is, there isn't a + on a mobile phone key pad, so what the hell are they rambling on about ey?
Is she best getting one of them pay as you nag foreign sim cards while she's over there too?

She's not even supposed to be taking her phone with her for some strange reason. confused:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Dialing from abroad
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
Miss Moose is going on her jolly holiday on Saturday and has asked me how she texts home.  lol:

Apparently, so Orange say like, you have to dial in +44 and then knock off the first zero.
Trouble is, there isn't a + on a mobile phone key pad, so what the hell are they rambling on about ey?
Is she best getting one of them pay as you nag foreign sim cards while she's over there too?

She's not even supposed to be taking her phone with her for some strange reason. confused:
The '+' is the International Dialing Code... generally it is '00'... so from here we dial 00 44 (then drop the leading zero)...

So to dial a number in Maidenhead (01628 code) we'd dial 00 44 1628 6xxxxx

OK?

Roaming charges are often extortionate so she would be better buying a PAYG local SIM
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »

The '+' is the International Dialing Code... generally it is '00'... so from here we dial 00 44 (then drop the leading zero)...

OK?

Roaming charges are often extortionate so she would be better buying a PAYG local SIM

So why don't they just say that instead of saying +44, bloody useless pillocks.
Caused mucho agitatation here tonight it has. ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »

OK?

So why don't they just say that instead of saying +44, bloody useless pillocks.
Caused mucho agitatation here tonight it has. ::)
In the olden days there used to be a key on telex machines that did the '+' thing for international um, telexes...

I think that is the reason, it has just hung on....

I used to be the Whizz on the telex!  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »
0044 then knock off the zero in front of your number.

The reason for them not wanting her to take it is probably two fold.
1) Theft possibilities
2) The whacking great bill they could run up.

If this is a school holiday and they've said no mobs and she is found with it it will most likely be confiscated. And if she is out searching for a local PAYG sim then they will find out. Plus some uk phones are locked to a network and even a payg sim on the same network abroad won't work with them.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
0044 then knock off the zero in front of your number.

The reason for them not wanting her to take it is probably two fold.
1) Theft possibilities
2) The whacking great bill they could run up.

If this is a school holiday and they've said no mobs and she is found with it it will most likely be confiscated. And if she is out searching for a local PAYG sim then they will find out. Plus some uk phones are locked to a network and even a payg sim on the same network abroad won't work with them.

Oh. I'll tell her. She'll be most delighted....NOT.

She wants to take her phone as she feels it'll be some sort of comfort knowing she can text us, and Mrs Growler likewise back, that's all.
First time she'll have been way from home on her own, so she's obviously a bit pensive.

As for the phone gettin' nicked, well if that's all that's nicked we'll be 'appy, considering some of the more expensive clobber she's taking.
Someone suggested it might be in case of an accident to one of the other kids, thus preventing them from ringing home with exagerated stories of death and destruction. ::)

There's going to be a bitter sweet atmosphere around Growler Towers from Saturday onwards.
Mrs G is losing her best friend and support for the ongoing war against me whilst I'll be basking in the delight of not falling over all of her shite for 9 days! happy088

Meanwhile, Growler Jnr is planning a party in celebration of her departure, and sincerley hopes she doesn't come back. eeek:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »
I can totally understand why she would want to take it. I would have done on school trips if I'd had a mobile too. It is certainly worth trying the payg sim thing but it is in no way guaranteed, but her best bet is to try to get the same network as her phone is on.

Failing that get her a phone card. It basically links to your home bill and sort of works as reverse charge calling. She can call home every night then if needs be.

Mr Wench also says another reason that mobs/phone calls home are "discouraged" is because they can actually make homesick kids worse. They experimented last year with disallowing home contact until the day before they came home and the kids were either far more robust of the theory did actually work. Of course if there was an actual need for the kids to call their parents they would be allowed. And the one child who did wake up in the night badly homesick was given permission to use Mr Wench's mob.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:14 PM »
Errrrr...

There is a + on the phone keyboard and as far as I know you do have to use it for international dialling.

I always have.

On my Nokia you press the bottom left (*) key twice.

I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:32 PM »
I can totally understand why she would want to take it. I would have done on school trips if I'd had a mobile too. It is certainly worth trying the payg sim thing but it is in no way guaranteed, but her best bet is to try to get the same network as her phone is on.

Failing that get her a phone card. It basically links to your home bill and sort of works as reverse charge calling. She can call home every night then if needs be.

Mr Wench also says another reason that mobs/phone calls home are "discouraged" is because they can actually make homesick kids worse. They experimented last year with disallowing home contact until the day before they came home and the kids were either far more robust of the theory did actually work. Of course if there was an actual need for the kids to call their parents they would be allowed. And the one child who did wake up in the night badly homesick was given permission to use Mr Wench's mob.

I can see his point there tbh. I'll have a werd, but fear Mrs G has instilled it into her now that it's ok. ::)

I'm quite looking forward to receiving the 'come and get me now' call.
Always wanted an excuse to drive around the Alps in the snow. cloud9:

Sorry my little one, it could take me several days to reach you, but I am on me way....ish. lol:

"On days like these,... lah lah, de dah, de lah de lah." cloud9:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:01:07 PM »
Errrrr...

There is a + on the phone keyboard and as far as I know you do have to use it for international dialling.

I always have.

On my Nokia you press the bottom left (*) key twice.

Ey up smart arse. You're correct! redface:
# is first with a tiny + underneath it. Press twice quickly and it werks.
Well on my phone it does, but Miss Moose's phone it doesn't do it. ::)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
Wenchy is right ~ all the trips that my kids have been on (France, Cub Camps etc) mobiles have been banned for the reasons of (i) security of the child who may be mugged if seen using a mobile (ii) to prevent home sickness and (iii) because kids with mobiles are a fecking nuisance.

All trips have a designated phone carrier (usually a teacher or group leader) and the number is given to parents who may need reassurance that they can get in touch in an emergency. Rest assured if anything is wrong they will get in touch with you very promptly.

Tell Mrs Growler that she is in danger of becoming what is known in the trade as a "Helicopter Parent" because they are forever hovering over the kids instead of allowing them to develop on their own.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
Wenchy is right ~ all the trips that my kids have been on (France, Cub Camps etc) mobiles have been banned for the reasons of (i) security of the child who may be mugged if seen using a mobile (ii) to prevent home sickness and (iii) because kids with mobiles are a fecking nuisance.

All trips have a designated phone carrier (usually a teacher or group leader) and the number is given to parents who may need reassurance that they can get in touch in an emergency. Rest assured if anything is wrong they will get in touch with you very promptly.

Tell Mrs Growler that she is in danger of becoming what is known in the trade as a "Helicopter Parent" because they are forever hovering over the kids instead of allowing them to develop on their own.

I'll pm our phone number, and you can tell her yourself like.  whistle:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
So why does she think that encouraging the child to break school rules is a good idea ~ given that the one thing we all agree on is the lack of discipline in the young is what is wrong with our society?

Rules are there for a reason and if you really disagree then you don't let the child go on the trip. Allowing her to go says that you accept the rules. (By you I mean Mrs G)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

Mr Wench had two of those at parents evening yesterday.  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »
So why does she think that encouraging the child to break school rules is a good idea ~ given that the one thing we all agree on is the lack of discipline in the young is what is wrong with our society?

Rules are there for a reason and if you really disagree then you don't let the child go on the trip. Allowing her to go says that you accept the rules. (By you I mean Mrs G)
Excellent points well made IMHO Snoops!  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs: