Disgusterous

Author Topic: Collectors and their obligations  (Read 6522 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Collectors and their obligations
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:09:58 AM »
Thats why I qualified the suggestion with 'depending on what the pendulim is made of' BM. Having said that even if the weights and pendulum aren't magnetic odds are enough of the inner workings may be (not that I've done anything similar in the past like)  whistle:
Anyhoo... It seems unlikely that Miss D has gone away with a huge electro-magnet in her luggage... noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
I can't sleep without a ticking clock somewhere in the house. The chimes never bother me either ~ unless they go beyond 13. We have an old clock in the room beneath our bedroom. It was my Grandfather's and when he moved into a home for retired soldiers he gve it to my mother. The day he died it struck 27 times at about the time of death ~ frit mother halfway to death herself when an hour later she received a telegram telling her that her father had passed away. Anywhooo she stopped the chimes and until she died it never chimed again although it ticked merrily on for another 40 odd years. Come her death the clock passed into my hands and I wound up the chimes and set it ticking. As it reached the first hour it chimed 27 times  eeek: Then it settled into a normal chime on the half hour and the appropriate number of chimes to mark each hour.
When I had my bypass operation (at about 7 in the evening) and they stopped my heart and allowed the heart/lung machine to take over the task Mrs S#2 tells me the clock struck 13 times. It has on several occasions since struck 27 times and on each occasion we have subsequently heard of a death in the family. Mrs S#2 will not now permit me to wind up the chimes.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »
I can't sleep without a ticking clock somewhere in the house. The chimes never bother me either ~ unless they go beyond 13. We have an old clock in the room beneath our bedroom. It was my Grandfather's and when he moved into a home for retired soldiers he gve it to my mother. The day he died it struck 27 times at about the time of death ~ frit mother halfway to death herself when an hour later she received a telegram telling her that her father had passed away. Anywhooo she stopped the chimes and until she died it never chimed again although it ticked merrily on for another 40 odd years. Come her death the clock passed into my hands and I wound up the chimes and set it ticking. As it reached the first hour it chimed 27 times  eeek: Then it settled into a normal chime on the half hour and the appropriate number of chimes to mark each hour.
When I had my bypass operation (at about 7 in the evening) and they stopped my heart and allowed the heart/lung machine to take over the task Mrs S#2 tells me the clock struck 13 times. It has on several occasions since struck 27 times and on each occasion we have subsequently heard of a death in the family. Mrs S#2 will not now permit me to wind up the chimes.
eeek:

Spooky - isn't there a song about that...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »
Thats why I qualified the suggestion with 'depending on what the pendulim is made of' BM. Having said that even if the weights and pendulum aren't magnetic odds are enough of the inner workings may be (not that I've done anything similar in the past like)  whistle:
Anyhoo... It seems unlikely that Miss D has gone away with a huge electro-magnet in her luggage... noooo:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/

whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
eeek:

Spooky - isn't there a song about that...?  rubschin:

You are perhaps thinking of "My Grandfather's Clock"

Which starts with the lines

"My Grandfathers clock was too big for the shelf
So it spent all it's life on the floor"

Hang on and I'll Google the rest of the lyric if you really want.

My particular Grandfather's clock is not a "Grandfather Clock" but a mantle clock that chimes ~ OK?
It is, in fact, of American manufacture and he bought it when at sea in his younger days before WWI so it isn''t even an heirloom as such. Just an old clock.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
I can't sleep in a room with a ticking clock.

If I am sleeping somewhere other than home and there is a clock in the room, it will be buried under cushions or removed from the room.

RTFM

Offline Nick

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
You could just shoot the clock, gently like
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
I am tempted to use that expanding foam stuff.

RTFM

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
I've just bought a big tube of that.... haven't found an appropriate use for it yet!  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »
Send it to MIss D
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »
Send it to MIss D
She can buy her own expandy-stuff....  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »
I've just bought a big tube of that.... haven't found an appropriate use for it yet!  eveilgrin:

How about filling in holes in the wall/floor/ceiling?  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »

How about filling in holes in the wall/floor/ceiling?  whistle:
happy001

evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »

Twilght Zone-Episode 27

Author: S. Noopy.  scared2:
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
As you are now in the country, even if you stopped all the clocks you would probably be awoken at first light by a cock.

You need either to wear earmuffs or have a large malty drink before bed. I favour the latter.

Don't even get me started on that - there is a cockerel  whistle: in the rear field to my mothers house.

Doesn't evolution suggest that animals evolve and get rid of physical features, characteristics that are no longer necessary. So why the feck does the blasted creature persist in hollering for about 3 friggin hours in the morning. Surely one call should be sufficient - saying hey guys guess what I can see -then shut the heck up  evil: evil:
Skubber