Disgusterous

Author Topic: Fear of Dentists  (Read 488 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Fear of Dentists
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:52:25 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7892062.stm

An eight-year-old girl starved to death because of an apparently severe dental phobia. Sophie was already scared of dentists when one of her milk teeth became loose. Her parents were later to tell the inquest into the schoolgirl's death that it had developed at the age of four, when her tongue was nicked during a routine check-up. 

Refusing to eat or talk, she was sent to hospital to have the wobbly tooth removed under general anaesthetic. Doctors took the opportunity to remove several teeth but following the operation, Sophie was so traumatised she refused to open her mouth and continued her fast.

Childhood memories are the source of most people's worries

Now I can understand this little girls fear. I hate dentists more so than I do clowns  scared2: The Brats's dad needs to take her and I am also not able to go if left to me (normally a friend will frogmarch me there )

I know where this originates from - when I was 7 I had to have 4 teeth taken out. This was done by a butcher in a white coat  evil:.  I had to have 'gas' at the time and woke up some time later to having a mouth full of blood, blocked up with swabs. I was choking , trying to be sick and very disorienated. It hurt like hell and I couldn't eat for a week

However what I found astounding about this case is that the little girl was in hospital for a  month and they failed to detect that she was dying of starvation and dehydration - how is that possible  evil:

As for dentists trying to create a more positive image - that may work on the next generatin but not for me  scared2:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:55:33 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: Fear of Dentists
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »
I also cannot understand how the hospital let this happen.

While Sophie grew weaker, the severity of her condition was not realised by the hospital. She died the month after the operation from the effects of starvation and dehydration.

Most odd.

rubschin:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
This is awful when you realise she was in the care of a hospital when she died.  noooo:

I am unable to resist pointing out the dreadful quality of jounalistic construction.

. . .her tongue was nicked during a routine check-up.  . .

More like the Liverpool Echo than the BBC.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline barmisspah?

• Fool Member
    • Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »
I also cannot understand how the hospital let this happen.

While Sophie grew weaker, the severity of her condition was not realised by the hospital. She died the month after the operation from the effects of starvation and dehydration.

Most odd.

rubschin:

Ditto to your comments Uncle, but where the hell were her parents while she was starving herself to death. The nurses have several if not many patients to take care of, the parents only had their daughter to pay attention to. If that had been one of mine I would have kicked up stink long before she got to that stage.
I couldn't ask for better friends. I could ask for more NORMAL friends, but not better ones.

ATB

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »
Now I can understand this little girls fear. I hate dentists more so than I do clowns  scared2:

Clowns are evil. Imagine if clowns started practising dentistry!!! Dental Clowns! The pink drink being dispersed via a flower on their white coat, an oversize drill that makes a horn sound, the white expressionless face failing to mask an almost homicidal depression and severe psychological problems...

scared2:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
I like the line of argument.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster