Author Topic: Any British Gas customers here?  (Read 570 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Any British Gas customers here?
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »
Let me get this straight, British Gas are charging a customer because she has made her home as energy efficient as she she can and as far as they are concerned she isnt using enough electricity? Then they offer to talk to her about further energy efficiency measures?? Are BG taking the pi$$?

An energy-conscious pensioner claims she is being "fined" by British Gas for using too little electricity.

Margaret Pracy, from Brighton, who has a pre-payment meter, made her home as energy efficient as possible and uses only about £5 of power a week.

Now British Gas is to charge her 54p extra a week, because her consumption has fallen below the minimum threshold.

It said it would speak to Mrs Pracy to explain the charges, which applied to a "very small number" of customers.

Brighton and Hove Green Party said Mrs Pracy's bill fell below the £9 threshold after she made improvements under the government's Warm Front initiative.

"It's complete madness and makes a mockery of insulation programmes," said Councillor Bill Randall.

'Incremental charge'

Mrs Pracy said British Gas was undermining the government's attempts to save the planet.

"If I follow all the government's suggestions on saving energy, which we need to save, then I will be fined by my energy provider," she said.

British Gas said it had reduced its tariff for prepayment customers in November 2008.

"However, a very small number of customers who use very little electricity experienced a small incremental charge of 54p per week," it said.

"We will speak to Mrs Pracy to explain these charges and discuss any other energy efficiency measures for which she may be eligible."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Any British Gas customers here?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
They are stoopid. They keep calling us to ask us to convert to their dual fuel thingy. Everytime they do this I have to explain to htem that we are already customers and have been so for 6 years
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »
Stupid question Nick but are you actually on their diual fuel tariff?
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
We recently switched suppliers (I do this annually to get the best fixed deals) and surprisingly BG turned out to be the cheapest for Electricity for me.
Since becoming one of their customers I have been bombarded with "Why don't you buy your gas from us and save even more money?" letters and phone calls.
The reason, as I have tired of explaning, is that there is no fecking gas main in this village!

We are now in dispute because they say if I accept their dual fuel offer I will receive a "discount" of £50 pa. I have said I am willing to sign up for this deal but they are now refusing to give me the £50 pa discount because I do not buy gas from them. I argue that I am willing to buy their gas ~ if they can find a way to deliver it  eveilgrin:

Long standing readers of my posts will recall I went though this performance with Scottish Power some three years ago ~ I won then and I shall win again.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Stupid question Nick but are you actually on their diual fuel tariff?

Yes  ::)

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
We recently switched suppliers (I do this annually to get the best fixed deals) and surprisingly BG turned out to be the cheapest for Electricity for me.
Since becoming one of their customers I have been bombarded with "Why don't you buy your gas from us and save even more money?" letters and phone calls.
The reason, as I have tired of explaning, is that there is no fecking gas main in this village!

We are now in dispute because they say if I accept their dual fuel offer I will receive a "discount" of £50 pa. I have said I am willing to sign up for this deal but they are now refusing to give me the £50 pa discount because I do not buy gas from them. I argue that I am willing to buy their gas ~ if they can find a way to deliver it  eveilgrin:

Long standing readers of my posts will recall I went though this performance with Scottish Power some three years ago ~ I won then and I shall win again.

I like those kind of fights. It's impossible to lose!!

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
Yes, and I am on the 2006 tariff for dual fuel until 2010. I will then scarper to a another provider eyes:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:27:05 PM by grumpyoldsoldier »