Author Topic: Welsh church in Surrey?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Welsh church in Surrey?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »
Why would it worry you?
People build hundreds of chapels and churches in the 1800's. My great, great Grandfather was a founding member of one such in Southampton. Many of these old buildings have no congregation these days but the buildings are often listed and may not be demolished. Slowly they are being converted to other uses but the external appearance often may not be changed because of their listed status. Many are still standing on "consecrated" ground, there may even be some graves to be considered.

If you really want to know about it ask at you local planning office, they will have details of any listings etc and will probably know who currently owns the property and what, if any plans, they have for its future.

IMHO far too many of these wonderful old buildings have been allowed to vanish. They are part of our heritage and whether you are religious or of the "you won't catch me worshipping sky pixies" brigade, these buildings and those that built them are our history and are what once made this country great. My recommendation would be that you simply enjoy the history and architecture that goes with it and remember that it was built by people as an expression of their faith with money raised from their own pockets over a great many years. Governments do not build such places, neither do rate payers. The old congregation will have purchased the land, all the materials and done the work with no help from anyone and often in the face of opposition from the "established" church.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »
Well it is listed here but not speaking/reading welsh I have no idea what it says.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
Well it is listed here but not speaking/reading welsh I have no idea what it says.

ASK

MR

WENCH

THEN

wimmin  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »

Listed where?

RTFM

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:09 PM »

http://www.anoeth.demon.co.uk/egach.html

redface:

Mr Wench

neither

speaks

nor

reads

Welsh!

Offline Nick

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »
'here' it would seem. I have no idea what she is on about either.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
Why would it worry you?
People build hundreds of chapels and churches in the 1800's. My great, great Grandfather was a founding member of one such in Southampton. Many of these old buildings have no congregation these days but the buildings are often listed and may not be demolished. Slowly they are being converted to other uses but the external appearance often may not be changed because of their listed status. Many are still standing on "consecrated" ground, there may even be some graves to be considered.

If you really want to know about it ask at you local planning office, they will have details of any listings etc and will probably know who currently owns the property and what, if any plans, they have for its future.

IMHO far too many of these wonderful old buildings have been allowed to vanish. They are part of our heritage and whether you are religious or of the "you won't catch me worshipping sky pixies" brigade, these buildings and those that built them are our history and are what once made this country great. My recommendation would be that you simply enjoy the history and architecture that goes with it and remember that it was built by people as an expression of their faith with money raised from their own pockets over a great many years. Governments do not build such places, neither do rate payers. The old congregation will have purchased the land, all the materials and done the work with no help from anyone and often in the face of opposition from the "established" church.

I am curious as to how a Welsh church came to be built in a mainly Irish area, the pub was always Irish when I was a kid, got take there by my grandfather.
I know of no other Welsh connection in this area, I think I have only ever known 3 Welsh people that lived around here.
Puzzling - who let them in?

RTFM

Offline Nick

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

http://www.anoeth.demon.co.uk/egach.html

redface:

Mr Wench

neither

speaks

nor

reads

Welsh!

He should learn. He must have Welsh genes

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
Why would it worry you?

I am curious as to how a Welsh church came to be built in a mainly Irish area, the pub was always Irish when I was a kid, got take there by my grandfather.
I know of no other Welsh connection in this area, I think I have only ever known 3 Welsh people that lived around here.

There has been a Welsh population in Sutton for a while. For instance Mr Wench's Grandfather's second wife has an awful lot of family in the area. Think they moved here initially in the 30s and given what Nana is like I can't imagine they would have done it unless there was a community there.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »
Why would it worry you?

Pikeys prolly nicked it and left it there...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »

ASK

MR

WENCH

THEN

wimmin  noooo:

Errrrr ~ He doesn't speak or read Welsh ~ in fact only about 10% of Welsh people do. Of the 1900 residents of this village the only Welsh speakers are the children who study it at school, some twenty native Welsh and a dozen or so incomers from England (and one Yank) who have learnt the language. The majority of Natives can neither read nor speak the language Welsh is a very difficult language  as, like Breton, it follows none of the usual rules. BTW the incomers who have learned the language are the most rabid when it comes to Welsh culture etc. They are the cottage burners. Real Wesh people are too busy taking money off the tourists to be bothered with such things. Even our local Paid Cymru member is English but has changed his name to seem Welsh.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »
I have never heard of a Welsh "community" around here - do they live underground or something?

Lotsa Irish and some Scots, but Welsh?

I think that there is one who goes to our local.

RTFM

Offline Nick

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »
do they live underground or somet

They are mining under your foundations as we speak. It's like a hobby!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:03 PM »
do they live underground or somet

They are mining under your foundations as we speak. It's like a hobby!

Like a Hobbit surely?

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 01:55:25 PM »
I have never heard of a Welsh "community" around here - do they live underground or something?

Lotsa Irish and some Scots, but Welsh?

I think that there is one who goes to our local.

Point him out to me... evil:

And yes, they do live underground - here's a picture of some Welshers yesterday...