Disgusterous

Author Topic: Gah!! Compo-chasers and skin-flints.  (Read 1712 times)

DDD

Gah!! Compo-chasers and skin-flints.
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:19:55 PM »
Myself and the Significant Spender are trying to scratch a living here in Cyprus.  The credit crunch saw our dreams of a retail empire scuppered, so we are working the markets, like.

Five weeks ago, I spent all of twelve seconds flogging a Valentines card to a disinterested individual who was going through the motions in order to keep her-in-doors happy.  It was his choice of lovers-card and although he begrudged the concept of it all, I felt I had served another satisfied punter.

Two minutes after he left, the Significant Spender realised that I had flogged said card, but without the accompanying envelope.  As instructed, I toured the market, looking for the envelope-less individual.  Sadly, he had vacated the retail hedonism and I was left to accept the wrath of SS for being 'so stupid'!

Today, I had the pleasure of meeting the Gentleman again.

G: 'You sold me a fec*in card with no envelope you bstard'

Me: 'I'm so sorry sir, we realised the mistake just after you left our stall - I did go round the market to look for you, but alas you could not be found'.

G: 'My wife gave me fec*in grief all day 'cos of you, you bstard.  There was no fec*in envelope!'

Me: 'Once again, Sir, I can only offer my apologies.  I'm not sure what you paid, because we only keep a record of numbers sold and then we tally our takings at the end of the day, but I do know that we don't sell *any* cards for more than €3, so if I refund you that amount, will that be acceptable?'

G: 'No it fec*in wont! My missus is givin' me grief and it's your fec*in fault. '

Me: 'I accept that the problem was as a result of our error and I am offering you a refund. ' (Politely and seriously I also said:) 'Along with the refund, I can also give you the envelope - maybe you could make use of the card next year?'

G: 'Fe*k you, you fe*ker - you need to pay me for the grief I've fec*in had before I come round there and stuff your fec*in cards up your fec*in arse!'

Me: (Agitated by now) 'What, you want the shirt off my back? Take the car mate, take the stall, take the f*ckin lot.  Want the missus? Take her, take everything.  Tell you what mate, take yourself and F*CK OFF before I F*CKIN kill you!

Oops! All hell broke loose.  Perhaps my sales technique is not what it once was, but I was *genuinely* trying to help and to appease the situation *before* he became totally un-reasonable.  This idiot is demanding compo for something that we might have been responsible for, but nevertheless tried our hardest to rectify.

Feck 'im.

An hour later, the SS was spending quality time with a lady who wanted a 'nice' card for her daughters wedding.  After spending the best part of 10 minutes (assisted by SS) choosing the correct one and oozing comments such as 'That's nice, ooh I like that, this one is pretty' etc, she chose a card from the 'value range'.  As SS was bagging it, doting-daughter-loving-woman enquired of the price.

€1. 50 announced SS.

'That's expensive', she said, and fec*ed off!!

Sorry, but I HATE YOU ALL - every single one of you!

We got up at 5. 00am to go to this frickin market.  We took €26. 25. 

After taking off the pitch fee (€10), stock cost, VAT (Yep, we do business properly unlike the rest of you chavs here on the market) and our petrol, we made the grand sum of €5 for 14 hours work.  (2 of us X 7hrs)

Oh, and then I nearly gave you your frickin refund. . . .

It's really not been the best day! Sympathy may be required, like.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: Gah!! Compo-chasers and skin-flints.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:53 AM »
Cyprus you say... This bloke, was he bald and had scarred shins?  rubschin:

(Welcome to the asylum Virtual Pub)
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

DDD

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:31:22 AM »
That's the one!

I think during his tirade of abuse that there was a small mention of bar duties.  .  .  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:33:23 AM by DDD »

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:40:09 AM »
Welcome DDD   8)

The Cypriot Support Group is gaining momentum  ;D

Coming here looking for sympathy could be a dangerous strategy - they are a heartless bunch  ( only joking ) eeek:

However they will share your pain and put you right I'm sure.

As for the envelope -  it will all have been the wimmin's fault - just you wait and see  noooo: noooo: noooo:

Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »
That's the one!

I think during his tirade of abuse that there was a small mention of bar duties.  .  .  
eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Welcome DDD, despite what Miss D says we're not heartless, just realists  ;)

€1.50 for a card ~ I just wish Clinton Cards charged as little. (although they will point out if the envelope is missing  whistle:)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
Welcome DDD, despite what Miss D says we're not heartless, just realists  ;)

€1.50 for a card ~ I just wish Clinton Cards charged as little. (although they will point out if the envelope is missing  whistle:)

I said I was only joking Uncle M  cry:

You are the loveliest bunch of people I don't know  whacky115
Skubber

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
Sorry Miss D, I'm sure you're one of the loveliest people I don't know either.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
Sorry Miss D, I'm sure you're one of the loveliest people I don't know either.

I'm not.  whistle:

Welcome DDD anyway.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
Welcome ~ I hadn't realised that BM's Cyprus cinema was equiped with 3D ~ will we all have to wear cardboard specs with one red and one green lens to read your posts?

Having worked the markets myself ~ during a temporary blip in the change over from self to paid employment I know exactly what you mean.
Still ~ there are compensations ....... and given time I'm sure I shall remember what they were.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »
Welcome DDD. If a strange man approaches trying to interest you in the purchase of some special beer DO NOT BY
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
Welcome DDD. If a strange man approaches trying to interest you in the purchase of some special beer DO NOT BY

In fact do not even BUY  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
 Banghead
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

DDD

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »
I just wish Clinton Cards charged as little.

They should - it's their ex-stock that I'm importing, for pennies.   ;)

Having worked the markets myself ~ during a temporary blip in the change over from self to paid employment I know exactly what you mean.

I sold out from a profitable businesses years ago because of the headaches and hassles from miserable customers and then disappeared to Cyprus to get away from them all.  When I decided that we ought to earn a few Euro's rather than sitting on our arses from summer to summer, I deliberately chose something that I thought wouldn't give us any grief.  How wrong I was.

How can anyone get so wound up over a sodding envelope?

Anyhow, thanks for all your welcomes, and warnings.   ;D

I'll now just check this post for spelling and grammar - I don't wish to fall foul of Snoops.   angel1