Disgusterous

Author Topic: Let sleeping teenagers lie  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Let sleeping teenagers lie
« on: March 10, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7932950.stm

Just been watching this on the news this morning  - so has the Brat  noooo:

There's a biological predisposition for going to bed late and getting up late.Teen body clocks start later, for reasons unknown, although it could be hormonal ....Head urges lie-ins for teenagers  - By delaying the start of school by one hour, and moving more demanding subjects to later in the day, then absenteeism and depression will fall

It is a mammoth enough task every morning to get the morning monster out of it's pit. The process normally involves the initial tap at the door when hearing her alarm clock go off and shut down far too quickly without any further movement taking place. Then going into the room (contrary to the DO Not Enter signs  noooo: ) , flinging the curtains wide open and turning the lights on to stun mode. Also have to be really cheerful as that annoys her into a state of consciousness.

Then this is reinforced at 5 minute intervals with have you got , have you done , do you need questions by which time she is in a frenzy of fury and stomps out of bed.

But it's no longer her fault this morning - it's science  evil: evil: evil:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Let sleeping teenagers lie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:38:16 AM »
Here you go!

Quote from: Leg Iron
An idiot headmaster thinks school should start at eleven in the morning because the poor dear teenagers can't cope with getting up early. *cough* unemployable *cough*. He's a tit. If kids have to get up at nine, they go to bed at three. If they have to get up at eleven, they'll go to bed at five. That's what teenagers do.

That's the main point of the article but tucked away at the bottom is this little gem.

Last year, Dr Kelley carried out a trial at Monkseaton High that found pupils scored up to 90 per cent in a GCSE science paper after one session involving three 20-minute bursts interspersed with ten-minute breaks for physical activity.

The pupils had not covered any part of the GCSE science syllabus before the lessons.

He hails it as a great success for his twenty-minute sessions but fails to see the obvious. They scored NINETY PERCENT in the exam without studying ONE WORD of the science course. That should not be possible under any circumstances at all.

Except one. The circumstance in which the exam doesn't cover science. It covers social engineering that's been fed to them through school and TV for years.

Obo has links to the exams. Read them and weep.

Oh, and don't even think of employing them. Aside from knowing nothing, they won't turn up until lunchtime if this cretin gets his way. I used to teach the produce of our schools in degree-level microbiology. These exams explain an awful lot.

Source

See? Not science at all...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:15:06 AM »
I find a bath sponge steeped in cold water and squeezed over the sleeping head works quite well  eveilgrin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »

I saw these exams yesterday. I wept.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »
And people still ask me "Why have you taken your two boys out of school?"

"Because I am trying to do what's best for them" 

Unfotunately we woke up too late to save the THW who is said to be likely to gain straight As in her 10 GCSE's and thus have a wonderful future ahead of her ~ she knows the square root of sweet FA but is a wizard at multiple choice tick boxes and the regulation gibberish. Banghead

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:12 AM »

I saw these exams yesterday. I wept.

Ye gods  noooo:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:31:09 AM »
I find a bath sponge steeped in cold water and squeezed over the sleeping head works quite well  eveilgrin:

For many circumstances I would imagine  ;)
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »

For many circumstances I would imagine  ;)

It certainly gets her out of her pit. Her mood isn't very good tho' ~ you'd think she would realise I am doing her a favour and be grateful, if she doesn't get up she will be late for skool  ~ I, on the other hand, don't actually need to get up at all if I don't feel like it. See how selfless I am. angel1

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »
When The Boy starts secondary school he will have to be up by 7 at latest. Generally at present it is 8.35 (for 8.30 departure  evil:). We are starting a training regime  eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

DDD

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
Generally at present it is 8.35 (for 8.30 departure).

Gah! The SS does this to me every market day. The evening before we set out and agree (note we *agree*) the time we need to leave the following morning. Every time, I stipulate that we need to be away *on time*. And every bloody morning we leave 5-10 minutes late while she faffs around looking for her handbag, specs, lipstick, mobile etc, etc.

It winds the f**K out of me. And then she has the audacity to ask me why I'm grumpy in the mornings.

6.30am is just that. Not 6.37am or 6.39am - it's 6 bloody 30!! I'm always up first and always ready to go on time, while her (admittedly gorgeous arse) remains stuck to the mattress for 7-9 minutes longer than it should. I'm happy and lovely and a delight to be around when we wake up. That 7-9 minutes will turn me into a steaming monster for the rest of the morning.

Why the hell does she insist on doing it?  Banghead

Be warned - it's not just teenagers who do it!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 04:49:41 AM »
The Teenage Hormone Wreck has just realised that as from September she will have to catch the bus to college as opposed to the bus to school. Living in a rural part of North Wales the bus for school currently leaves the village at 0830. We struggle to get her up, washed, fed, hair washed, bags and books collected together and out of the door by 0829 each morning. The college bus leaves the village at 0718   eveilgrin:

Whilst I find a drive to the school and back at 0835 not an unwelcome diversion occasionally I have no intention of making a regular round trip of 60 fecking miles to the college just because she will cannot will not get up.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 04:59:02 AM »
Generally at present it is 8.35 (for 8.30 departure).

Gah! The SS does this to me every market day. The evening before we set out and agree (note we *agree*) the time we need to leave the following morning. Every time, I stipulate that we need to be away *on time*. And every bloody morning we leave 5-10 minutes late while she faffs around looking for her handbag, specs, lipstick, mobile etc, etc.

It winds the f**K out of me. And then she has the audacity to ask me why I'm grumpy in the mornings.

6.30am is just that. Not 6.37am or 6.39am - it's 6 bloody 30!! I'm always up first and always ready to go on time, while her (admittedly gorgeous arse) remains stuck to the mattress for 7-9 minutes longer than it should. I'm happy and lovely and a delight to be around when we wake up. That 7-9 minutes will turn me into a steaming monster for the rest of the morning.

Welcome to my world like...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »

Ahhh the age old why can't women get ready on time when men are perfect scenario  ::)

For the sake of another 10 minutes max is it really worth blowing a gasket over ....... what's the worse that can happen ?

Get back in bed with her  - she'll soon get up  lol:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »
 evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »

Ahhh the age old why can't women get ready on time when men are perfect scenario  ::)

For the sake of another 10 minutes max is it really worth blowing a gasket over ....... what's the worse that can happen ?

Get back in bed with her  - she'll soon get up  lol:

Exactly how I used to get my ex-wife out of bed in the mornings. Lean over, stroke her thigh and whisper endearments. She'd be out of bed, showered and downstairs fully dressed in three minutes flat. lol: