Disgusterous

Author Topic: The Final Taxation Straw  (Read 980 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
The Final Taxation Straw
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:11:14 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7938282.stm

A Scottish GP has called for chocolate to be taxed in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes  .... They also need to moderate their chocolate intake and this tax would help them do that."

What a blithering idiot ........ evil: evil: evil:

Raising taxes on cigarettes and alcohol has obviously worked so well they though they'd expand their repertoire. Get this man a life somebody - complete ferking judgemental killjoy  evil:
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: The Final Taxation Straw
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7938282.stm

A Scottish GP has called for chocolate to be taxed in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes  .... They also need to moderate their chocolate intake and this tax would help them do that."

What a blithering idiot ........ evil: evil: evil:

Raising taxes on cigarettes and alcohol has obviously worked so well they though they'd expand their repertoire. Get this man a life somebody - complete ferking judgemental killjoy  evil:

I take it you would find that particular tax unbearable?  whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:22 AM »
I will be ruined  sad24:

I don't have a car, I don't smoke  ( ok ....I may have a drink or ten  occassionally  redface: )  but start fecking taxing my chocolate intake and I will have no pleasure  left in my world  cry: cry: cry:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »
I will be ruined  sad24:

I don't have a car, I don't smoke  ( ok ....I may have a drink or ten  occassionally  redface: )  but start fecking taxing my chocolate intake and I will have no pleasure  left in my world  cry: cry: cry:
None...?  eyes:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »
Doctors, like policiticians, always feel the need to pontificate upon things about which they know little.

It is an interesting fact that the vast majority of GPs, from the time of qualification at about the age of 24 to 26 need undertake no further training from then until their retirement and in fact the majority only keep "up to date" with the information they may glean from reading the Lancet or from listening to the sales pitch of pharmaceutical company sales reps*.

*Source: Dr Vernon Coleman "How to stop your doctor from killing you"  ISBN: 1 898947 14 7

As for this call to tax chocolate. It is proven that chocolate, in moderation, does more good than harm. As with all things excess is not beneficial but to increase prices by taxation would have no effect whatsoever on the incidence of diabetes (Type 2, because you are born with Type 1) or obesity. I do not eat chocolate, sweets or any sugar added products. Never have (well not since childhood) so how does this arse explain that I am Type 2 Diabetic and overweight? Well the diabetes is inherited and the weight problem is caused, as my consultant will confirm, by the medication to control the diabetes.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
I will be ruined  sad24:

None...?  eyes:

I will just need to access my archived memory files for a direct comparison  rubschin:
Skubber

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:40:51 AM »
As for this call to tax chocolate. It is proven that chocolate, in moderation, does more good than harm. As with all things excess is not beneficial but to increase prices by taxation would have no effect whatsoever on the incidence of diabetes (Type 2, because you are born with Type 1) or obesity. I do not eat chocolate, sweets or any sugar added products. Never have (well not since childhood) so how does this arse explain that I am Type 2 Diabetic and overweight? Well the diabetes is inherited and the weight problem is caused, as my consultant will confirm, by the medication to control the diabetes.

Exactly Snoops  cloud9:

I do not have an excessive character disorder and also don't have an addictive personality - therefore my need for chocloate on a daily basis ( or else all hell will break lose ) should not be a matter ( justified by medical reasons or not ) to taxation .

Don't let me have to go down and speak to them 'personally ' about this  evil: evil: evil:

Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
I will be ruined  sad24:

None...?  eyes:

I will just need to access my archived memory files for a direct comparison  rubschin:

BM keeps all his on a floppy.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »
 evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:14 PM »
I will be ruined  sad24:

None...?  eyes:

BM keeps all his on a floppy.

One of those 3 1/2" ones?  whistle:

To be honest I can see the government doing this. Not because of any spuuosed health benefits, but because, if Dispatches is correct then under a new EU law, the true cost of all those PFI partnerships will have to be declared on the books from next month. When that happens I can see these buggers grabbing every possible penny in tax to try and get it back down before we lynch them.

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
They've lost the next three elections at least and they know it. Nothing they can do will save them now.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
Scorched earth policy, I fear

See also: http://www.order-order.com/2009/03/knives-are-out-harman.html

Deluded woman
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Scorched earth will be an understatement once the PFI figures are made public I fear. I have a nasty feeling that the amount ploughed into that farce will at least equal the bank bail out fund.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »
The Public Sector pension thing is starting to go awry too!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »
I just have an image of Wenchy in blue war paint..

"They may take our lives, but they'll never take............OUR WISPA'S!!!!!!'

whistle: