Disgusterous

Author Topic: Confession  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Confession
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
I have done a "Nick"

Provided Minimus recently with a new PC. Gave him my 15inch nearly new complete with speakers flat screen to (i) save on bedroom space and (ii) because he wanted one like Dad's rather than the old "Cathode" style clonking great bit of kit with a 12 inch screen with separate speakers that he had.
I bought via the internet a new 19 inch flat screen for myself. It is an Acer v193 and was described as "The Ideal Screen for Gamers". I am not a gamer but the mention of gaming convinced me that it would have (a) good sound quality (b) crystal sharp picture quality (c) good colour and contrast definitions(d) fast start up speed.
When it arrived I was surprised that it had no lead to connect to the speaker outlet on my tower and no apparent place to plug in such a lead at the back of the screen. I consulted the handbook (I know I know "Instructions are for people who don't know what they are doing") and it said the single lead enclosed (which was there) would, if no sound lead supplied, carry both picture and sound so I finished unpacking the bits and pieces and assembled the screen and stand, then connected all to my tower.
No bloody sound
Tried all buttons (and there are many) on the screen housing and got nowhere so back to the manual. That confirmed that the one lead should carry both sound and vision. Turned the new screen upside down and looked for speakers. Can't actually see any but nevertheless there are a lot of vents in the housing surrounding the whole of the screen at the back so thought that the speakers would be behind these.
Finally after two days contacted the suppliers help desk
"My purchase order number was XXXX/1234567890/zzzz/0000/YYYY but the sound does not seem to work"
"Hold on ~ I'll put you through to Tech Support"
"Herrow, Tech Support here, how can I help you"
Me ~ repeats story above
Tech Support (Clearly not English) "Ah ~ Give me model number"
Me, turning screen over "333/?????/****/000000000001"
Tech Support "Riss screen no come with sound"
Me "So why did it not tell me that in the description on your web site?"
Tech Support "It no say it come wiv sound therefore no sound"
Me "It does say Ideal for Gamers ~ what games come without sound?"
Tech Support "What games you want?"
Me "I don't play games"
Tech Support "So why you want gamer's screen?"
Me "I didn't want a gamer's screen but the suggestion by your website that this was an ideal screen for gamers, good colour, fast start-up etc implied to me that it would have decent sound ~ surely an integral part of a gamer's kit"
Tech Support "Well that no say it has speaker do it?"
Me "Put me back to Customer Services"
Tech Support "No can transfer calls from here. You redial"

So I redialed Customer Support:
Told them my tale and they said "I'll transfer you to Tech Support"
Me "NOoooooooooooooooo! ~ give me your manager instead"
Manager, after a five minute wait on an 0870 number "What seems to be the problem?"
Me "I feel I have been misled by your description on the web site of product number etc, serial number etc ~ the flat screen has no speakers yet the instruction manual suggest that it should PLUS a screen described as "Ideal for Gamers" would surely have sound capabilities"
Manager "You didn't read the technical spec did you?"
Me "Only to the point where I knew I did not understand it all then I gave up and relied upon your idiots guide in the general description"
Manager "Ah well then you can't blame us can you?"
Me "I am not blaming anyone ~ I am telling you that your description misled me into buying the wrong item which I would now like to return and swap for one with integral speakers, any additional costs of postage or difference in price to be paid by me"
Manager "Sorry we don't do swaps. You got what you ordered"
Me "I shall never deal with you again"
Manager (And I kid you not) "Do I look bothered? Ha Ha Ha" and the bastard put the phone down.
Moral: (i) Read the spec in full and (ii) Do not deal with Misco ever ~ any of you

OK techies I know how to deal with the problem and I have now connected the clunky old speakers from Minimus' old machine and will buy myself some really smart little ones the next time I am near PC World but that is not the point.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Confession
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:31:26 PM »
Misco...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:34:23 PM »
Confession  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:10:49 AM »
I know ~ the shame of it all ~ I'd smash the bloody thing and buy one that fulfills my needs but why waste the money. I could try selling this one on via ebay but can't be arsed ~ I shall just have to live with it as a reminder that my generous impulse towards Minimus led me into behaving foolishly.

Actually speakers apart it is a cracking good screen. Now if only it would go wrong within the warranty period  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
I know ~ the shame of it all ~ I'd smash the bloody thing and buy one that fulfills my needs but why waste the money. I could try selling this one on via ebay but can't be arsed ~ I shall just have to live with it as a reminder that my generous impulse towards Minimus led me into behaving foolishly.

Actually speakers apart it is a cracking good screen. Now if only it would go wrong within the warranty period  rubschin:
Knowing Misco you'd be stuck with a broken one...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:18:36 AM »

Knowing Misco you'd be stuck with a broken one...  whistle:

Ah ~ You've come across them before ~ I hadn't.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:06 AM »
Looking on the positive side I could by a decent set of speakers and have really good sound in my office like.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:29:23 AM »
Looking on the positive side I could by a decent set of speakers and have really good sound in my office like.  whistle:
I think that would be better... try Amazon this time tho...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 05:38:47 AM »
Whoops another typo ~ That should have been "Buy" ~ perhaps a new keyboard while I'm at it.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:40:02 AM »
Whoops another typo ~ That should have been "Buy" ~ perhaps a new keyboard while I'm at it.  whistle:
No worries - I don't do pedantry...  noooo:

Not at this time of the morning anyway...  sleep017
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
Just reinforces my never ending rants and hatred about purchasing anything on the internet.
Go to a shop, ask the questions, and if they give you duff info you can take it back. Simple.

THAT however, does not excuse the so called 'manager' laughing at you, and in essence telling you to get piss off. noooo:
I'd personally have emptied the contents of my white hot bladder all over him....verbally, being on the phone like.
Did you get his name per chance? I certainly wouldn't let this drop. I'd have that company director by the bollox now. I feel your anger. Absolute bastards. Angry9:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:21:06 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »
Too late now to do much about it ~ except learn the lesson. I would, of course, given him some verbal had he not hung up. I considered writing to the MD and then realised that I had no name to "report" and, for all I know, I could have been passed to the next person along the line in their call centre and not to a manager at all. So what was I going to say that would do me any good. Best to tell everyone I know not to deal with MISCO. That way I feel I get a little revenge.

In fact they were right in that when I finally calmed down and read the full technical spec it did not say that the screen had integral speakers. Most of the others they advertised did state that they did have speakers. Now that doesn't mean that those that do not mention speakers do not have them which was my orignal moan. I feel they should make it clear by stating the fact and not simply relying on "implication".

However what's done is done and frankly it is not worth the blood pressure increase it would cause to try to seek recompense (and I am not really entitled to any). My plan is to now turn this to my advantage and purchase some super mini speakers that will enhance my listening pleasure in the office. Let's face it most integral speakers are pretty crap anyway.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 08:54:48 AM »

However what's done is done and frankly it is not worth the blood pressure increase it would cause to try to seek recompense (and I am not really entitled to any). My plan is to now turn this to my advantage and purchase some super mini speakers that will enhance my listening pleasure in the office. Let's face it most integral speakers are pretty crap anyway.

Maybe not, but there is something called customer service and satisfaction that springs to mind. Seems to have eluded them somehow.
Sorry Snoops, but I personally wouldn't let this drop. Once the Bear gets angry, he has to get even. Pass the details over to me. cussing:

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »
My pocket is full of rancid bacon
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »