Author Topic: Inventive punishments for The Boy  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Inventive punishments for The Boy
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »
I find myself drawn in the direction of agonising torture for some reason. Medieval stuff!  evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
It was a raised middle finger. When my Dad retired he took over the discipline ropes. Worst thing that ever happened to our family he was beyond strict.

Then he stops swimming. What else does he enjoy doing? Brother Wench and I were also stopped from extra curricular punishments at times. He wasn't allowed to go to tennis lessons. I was allowed to go to the stables to muck out my horse but wasn't allowed to ride. I also wasn't allowed to speak to anyone when I was there. My Dad used to take a book and sit in the doorway.

What does he do that he enjoys doing? My Dad at one point had my Brother sitting in a room devoid of all entertainment. He just had to sit there. He was allowed out to eat his meals in the kitchen and then was sent back to his room for silent contemplation. That lasted a weekend with a grounding for three weeks. That was for sneaking out.

It is a miracle you turned out so well-balanced and sensible.  scared2:

scared:
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
I find myself drawn in the direction of agonising torture for some reason. Medieval stuff!  evil:

Yes but realistically that isn't an option where as mental torture and hard labour is legally permisable!

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »
It was a raised middle finger. When my Dad retired he took over the discipline ropes. Worst thing that ever happened to our family he was beyond strict.

Then he stops swimming. What else does he enjoy doing? Brother Wench and I were also stopped from extra curricular punishments at times. He wasn't allowed to go to tennis lessons. I was allowed to go to the stables to muck out my horse but wasn't allowed to ride. I also wasn't allowed to speak to anyone when I was there. My Dad used to take a book and sit in the doorway.

What does he do that he enjoys doing? My Dad at one point had my Brother sitting in a room devoid of all entertainment. He just had to sit there. He was allowed out to eat his meals in the kitchen and then was sent back to his room for silent contemplation. That lasted a weekend with a grounding for three weeks. That was for sneaking out.

It is a miracle you turned out so well-balanced and sensible.  scared2:

scared:

Considering what some of our friends got up to Brother Wench and I were angels by comparission even before the punishments. My Dad was an utter bastard at times. Things that seem to get a raised eyebrow from Nick would be a full scale punishment in our house.  noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »
How about the idiot that left his credit card next to a working computer in the same room as an unoccupied and curious child being the one who needs a lesson? whistle:

As for The Boy ~ It's not the first time and won't be the last unless you take care to ensure that temptation is removed. In your shoes I would count myself lucky that unending supplies of pizza deliveries and the like aren't turning up. Obviously he should receive the standard Class A lecture on theft (which is what using your credit card effectively is) but other than that he did what most boys who are being banned from this that or the other for various infringements of, as he sees it, unreasonable rules would do given the opportunity. The THW, at about the age of 10, removed £100 from my jeans pocket, left in the bedroom whilst I was in the bath. When finally caught her explanation was: "To teach you a lesson because you took (some "privilege" or other) away from me two weeks ago" I forget what privilege or what she had actually done to be punished for but in her world I had been unjust and she was damned if I would be allowed to get away with it.
BTW £90 was recovered and she was very, very chocolate  sick2: that night so we deduced a £10 choccy binge. I figure we ended up even.

What I am trying to say is that kids have a curious moral code about such things and you need to find out motives and reasoning. That will take time and patience. Telling Mrs Nick may not be a good idea (prolly too late to suggest this) but sometimes secrets shared "between us men" are no bad idea as it fosters a feeling of being "growed up" ~ for both of you.
E.G. ~ Nick (Whilst ensuring sensible but covert security measures are followed in future) "Boy ~ you have done wrong but you now know that it was wrong, have apologised and I am going to trust you not to do such a thing again ~ we'll say no more about it this time, no need to mention it to your mother but do anything like this again and I will punish you as you have never been punished etc."

Just my opinion but you did ask.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »
How about the idiot that left his credit card next to a working computer in the same room as an unoccupied and curious child being the one who needs a lesson? whistle:

As for The Boy ~ It's not the first time and won't be the last unless you take care to ensure that temptation is removed. In your shoes I would count myself lucky that unending supplies of pizza deliveries and the like aren't turning up. Obviously he should receive the standard Class A lecture on theft (which is what using your credit card effectively is) but other than that he did what most boys who are being banned from this that or the other for various infringements of, as he sees it, unreasonable rules would do given the opportunity. The THW, at about the age of 10, removed £100 from my jeans pocket, left in the bedroom whilst I was in the bath. When finally caught her explanation was: "To teach you a lesson because you took (some "privilege" or other) away from me two weeks ago" I forget what privilege or what she had actually done to be punished for but in her world I had been unjust and she was damned if I would be allowed to get away with it.
BTW £90 was recovered and she was very, very chocolate  sick2: that night so we deduced a £10 choccy binge. I figure we ended up even.

What I am trying to say is that kids have a curious moral code about such things and you need to find out motives and reasoning. That will take time and patience. Telling Mrs Nick may not be a good idea (prolly too late to suggest this) but sometimes secrets shared "between us men" are no bad idea as it fosters a feeling of being "growed up" ~ for both of you.
E.G. ~ Nick (Whilst ensuring sensible but covert security measures are followed in future) "Boy ~ you have done wrong but you now know that it was wrong, have apologised and I am going to trust you not to do such a thing again ~ we'll say no more about it this time, no need to mention it to your mother but do anything like this again and I will punish you as you have never been punished etc."

I have also employed these tactics with some success.
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »

All good points that my Dad could have learned from!

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »

My brother was a little nightmare when we were younger. Today he is just a bigger, louder nightmare  eeek:

However when he was about 10 mum caught him 'retrieving' some money from her purse. Unfortunately for him one of our neighbours was a policeman and the station was only aorund the corner.

She went out the room made a call then frog marched him to the police station. The neighbour gave him a lecture about what happens when he steals , pretended to write down the details of what he'd done then put him in a cell for 10 minutes whilst he was just going to speak to 'The Judge'. 

He was absolutely terrifed. I absolutely loved it and teased him mercilessly afterwards, told all his mates and made a fake Wanted Poster ( we used to fight and awful lot - but it was never my fault of course as I was perfect  angel1)

Course it couldn't happen now  rubschin:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »
Something similar happened to Alfred Hitchcock. And look how he turned out!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
Dead...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

shrugs:
Skubber

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
A warning shot to the head often has the desired effect

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to regret asking but what has the boy done now?  scared2:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to regret asking but what has the boy done now?  scared2:
Read all the posts and find out you lazy sod...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick