Disgusterous

Author Topic: It's not Dan Dare...  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
It's not Dan Dare...
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
...space travel that is. I'm a great fan (as you know) but what's happened to space travel? where's the adventure, romance and discovery gone?

Here's today's planned spacewalk from the space station:

[the astronauts] will relocate a cart that moves along the rails of the station's truss, attempt again to deploy the unpressurized cargo carrier attachment system, install a similar attachment system on the starboard side, lubricate the space station arm's end effector and reconfigure some cables that power the station's gyroscopes.

cry:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: It's not Dan Dare...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
That's the problem with reality ~ it's sooooooooooooooo mundane.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
And if you can stand the excitement you can watch it now on on NASA TV here

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »
...space travel that is. I'm a great fan (as you know) but what's happened to space travel? where's the adventure, romance and discovery gone?

Here's today's planned spacewalk from the space station:

[the astronauts] will relocate a cart that moves along the rails of the station's truss, attempt again to deploy the unpressurized cargo carrier attachment system, install a similar attachment system on the starboard side, lubricate the space station arm's end effector and reconfigure some cables that power the station's gyroscopes.

cry:
It's not rocket science is it Uncle...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
If you had a long enough ladder you could do it BM. (don't fall off though)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
If you had a long enough ladder you could do it BM. (don't fall off though)

He won't tho' ~ NASA want 60 day credit. whistle:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
space travel that is. I'm a great fan (as you know) but what's happened to space travel? where's the adventure, romance and discovery gone?

Hasn't most of the adventure, romance and discovery concepts of space travel evolved from various forms of media anyway. The reality not being quite what would captivate hearts and minds

Don't ask me though - I don't like flying. The concept of going into space would terrify me  scared2:

It's ok anyway Uncle M - you don't need to go and find then - they will come to you

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7954001.stm

lol:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:52:03 PM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »
The reality could have been better if only the US hadn't turned away after the Moon landings. Some of the discoveries by unmanned probes show the possiblities of what it could have been.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
I had a nightmare in space last night. Was outside the shuttle doing a space walk when the shuttle's pet cat got out without it's space suit on. Needless to say it's eyes bulged, suffocated and then it slowly drifted out into space, dead like. Not nice, not nice at all. Woke me up it did.
WTF was THAT all about then I wonder? confused:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:13:09 PM »
I had a nightmare in space last night. Was outside the shuttle doing a space walk when the shuttle's pet cat got out without it's space suit on. Needless to say it's eyes bulged, suffocated and then it slowly drifted out into space, dead like. Not nice, not nice at all. Woke me up it did.

Cheese for supper I would suggest.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »

noooo:

I've been having some really 'orrible random dreams lately. Wish I could remember them all, but they generally disappear from the meory banks pdq for some reason.
First one I've ever had in space though.
 I now recall someone throwing a dinner plate up there and me exclaiming that that was really not a wise thing to do as it might hit someone when it reaches earths surface. eeek:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »

Feeding cats cheese is never a good idea IMHO
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »

I woke up dead hot like. That's problee what it was.  rubschin:
Still doesn't explain why I was outside the shuttle in space though....with a cat and a dinner plate. lol:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 03:21:22 PM »

Space

To see or dream that you are in space, represents exploration and independent thinking. You are broadening your horizons and view. Alternatively, the dream may indicate that you are "spacing out".  You need to return your concentration back on your future and goals. Or the dream could be a pun on your need for more "space" in a relationship or situation.

Spaceship

To see a spaceship in your dream, symbolizes your creative mind. It denotes a spiritual journey into the unknown and signal self-development and self-awareness. Alternative, the dream suggests that you may need to take on a different perspective, no matter how bizarre or unusual it may be. 

Plates

To see a plate  in your dream, indicates your social advantages and a hunger for life. Or the dream may be a metaphor that you have too much on your plate.

To see an empty plate in your dream, indicates that there is an emotional void in your waking life.  You may be feeling left out. Alternatively, it suggests that you need to rethink your priorities.

Cats

to see a cat in your dream, symbolizes an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power. It also represents misfortune and bad luck. The cat could indicate that someone is being deceitful or treacherous toward you. If the cat is aggressive, then it suggests that you are having problems with the feminine aspect of yourself. The dream may be a metaphor for "cattiness" or someone who is "catty" and malicious. If you see a cat with no tail, then it signifies a loss of independence and lack of autonomy.

Shrugs:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:26:58 PM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »

Space

To see or dream that you are in space, represents exploration and independent thinking. You are broadening your horizons and view. Alternatively, the dream may indicate that you are "spacing out".  You need to return your concentration back on your future and goals. Or the dream could be a pun on your need for more "space" in a relationship or situation.

Spaceship

To see a spaceship in your dream, symbolizes your creative mind. It denotes a spiritual journey into the unknown and signal self-development and self-awareness. Alternative, the dream suggests that you may need to take on a different perspective, no matter how bizarre or unusual it may be. 

Plates

To see a plate  in your dream, indicates your social advantages and a hunger for life. Or the dream may be a metaphor that you have too much on your plate.

To see an empty plate in your dream, indicates that there is an emotional void in your waking life.  You may be feeling left out. Alternatively, it suggests that you need to rethink your priorities.

Cats

to see a cat in your dream, symbolizes an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power. It also represents misfortune and bad luck. The cat could indicate that someone is being deceitful or treacherous toward you. If the cat is aggressive, then it suggests that you are having problems with the feminine aspect of yourself. The dream may be a metaphor for "cattiness" or someone who is "catty" and malicious. If you see a cat with no tail, then it signifies a loss of independence and lack of autonomy.

Shrugs:

So in other werds, I'm an oddity...a Space Oddity? lol: