Disgusterous

Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 2152 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Recycling
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:14:21 AM »
Dunno about you lot, but up 'ere in the wonderful county of Cheshire or South Cheshire or whatever it's called now, we have these poxy little boxes for putting out every fortnight.

I currently have 5, 2 of which are mine, and the other 3 that belong to who knows?

Last night during the near hurricane force winds, I was woken on several occassions by the sound of the contents of these blown over boxes scattering their contents all over the neighbourhood. cussing:
The lazy bastards that collect can't even be bothered jamming the lids back into the boxes once they've been emptied (making as much noise as is humanly possible at 07:00am,) and as a consequnce we are now have a box with no lid. Banghead

The whole system is a total shambles. They drive up one side of the road, and come back 3 hours later to do the other, and then we get the garden waste wagon coming around too! noooo:

Where does all this recyclable waste go then?
My guess is that the majority ends up in land fill, or on nights like this one we've just had, evryones bloody garden. ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:23:55 AM »
I think most recycled material is shipped all the way to China where is is buried in landfill sites...

The whole thing is a farce... how many millions of tonnes of wheelie bins and recycling boxes have been manufactured in various colours...?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:24:34 AM »
We too have pink bags full of cans and suchlike blowing all over the place here. I have more rubbish now than I did before the bin men came on Monday. And since the price of stuff for recycling has gone down my guess is it still ends up in ladnfill. The system here is like some insane game show. Put this stuff in this box on alternate Tuesday, put other stuff in apink bag on the third Sunday if there is an R in the month and so on. And then when the binmen do turn up they crash into your car  evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
One green box - no lid.

no one knows if this is for paper, cans or bottles. Doesn't matter as it is never collected anyway  evil:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
Oh it's all very simple ~ just read this load of tosh from my County Council. It is a Press Release so one would imagine that they think it understandable.

Denbighshire is set to become a cleaner, greener county with county communities set to benefit from an expansion of recycling services.

There are currently 20,000 households in Rhyl, Prestatyn, St Asaph, Bodelwyddan, Rhuddlan and Dyserth on the X2 scheme.  If this is you, then the first stage of the new recycling system affects your household!

Houses will receive a large blue bin, orange food waste container, an information pack and collection calendars from 16 March.  The large blue bin will replace the dumpy bag, small blue box and blue bag currently used. This will mean that each house will now have:

·        a grey bin, for waste which cannot be recycled
·        a green  bin for garden waste
·        a blue bin for recyclable waste (paper, cardboard, mixed plastics, glass, cans and tetrapak drink cartons); and
·        an orange container for food waste.

Each town will receive their new containers in roughly the order set out above (i.e. Rhyl, Prestatyn, etc).  The deliveries will take about two weeks to complete.   Food waste collections are due to start from 30 March.

If you are in the north of the county and currently receive the weekly pink sack refuse collection, then you will receive blue and white smart sacks for your recycling.  You won’t receive food waste containers yet – they won’t issued before 2010.

The second phase of the delivery will affect 10,000 households elsewhere in the county, including all households in Denbigh and Ruthin, whether currently on the X2 scheme or the pink sack system.

These households will receive smart sacks during March and April – we will confirm final dates as soon as possible.  Food waste collections in this part of the county will not start before 2010.

For all areas of the county, the current small blue box collections end on Friday 27 March. From Monday 30 March, residents will be using their large blue bins or the smart sack system depending on the area.   All households on a recycling scheme will be able to recycle an increased range of products – including cardboard, plastic food containers and tetrapak drink cartons.

For what can and cannot be recycled – please refer to March’s edition of County Voice (centre pages).  If you no longer have the copy you received through your letter box, it can be downloaded from the Corporate Communications pages of the Denbighshire website at www.denbighshire.gov.uk.

Denbighshire residents are already recycling 33% of their waste and this expansion of recycling collections will take the county beyond the 40% target set for 2009.

Information about what can be recycled will also be included in your information pack.

Note X2 scheme means that you get one collection a fortnight ~ I think
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
I think most recycled material is shipped all the way to China where is is buried in landfill sites...

The whole thing is a farce... how many millions of tonnes of wheelie bins and recycling boxes have been manufactured in various colours...?  noooo:

Dunno, but it's like a bleedin' refuge for the homeless boxes here.

Any one wanna do a swapsy? 1 lid for a green box in exchange please anyone. ::)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:37:09 AM »
One wheelie bin for household waste (landfill) one blue box for glass (recycle), clear sacks for paper, cardboard, plastic, cans (recycle), sacks for green garden waste (recycle). Alternate week collections for landfill and recycle. Works perfectly well.

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:37:27 AM »
WTF is a smart sack?

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »
WTF is a smart sack?

Mrs Growler in her best frock. ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
We've got an old broken wheelie bin that we dump bin bags full of mixed rubbish in... collected three times a week.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
Uncle ~ all the various systems work perfectly well if residents adhere to the rules ~ in particular the ones about not putting their collections out before 7am on the morning of collection and taking their empty bins/boxes etc back in once they have been cleared. Putting them out overnight, when a breezy night is forecast, is asking for them to be blown around.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
We've got an old broken wheelie bin that we dump bin bags full of mixed rubbish in... collected three times a week.

That is indeed impressive for a country that's still wandering around in the dark ages. eeek:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »

That is indeed impressive for a country that's still wandering around in the dark ages. eeek:
Indeed...

They then take it to a tip which is somewhat bizarrely located at the tip of a hill.... Then the scrap metal man sets light to it and carts the scrap away when the fire has gone out...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
In parts of Spain, maybe most of Spain, they have some huge truck in the street (about one between 30 houses or so) which is emptied every night!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
And in most of France and in all Dutch Towns and village the streets are hosed down every night ~ Don't hold your breath, this is here to stay. GB is, without doubt, a filthy country by most comparisons in the "Western World"

However Work calls ~ see you all later I 'spect
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:51:15 AM by Snoopy »