Author Topic: The 10 commandments of driving  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
The 10 commandments of driving
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:25:27 PM »
With all the things wrong in the world that the vatican could be taking an active part in changing why this?

The Vatican has issued a set of "10 commandments" for motorists to promote safer driving.
The "Guidelines for the Pastoral Care of the Road" call on drivers to respect speed limits, refrain from drinking before driving and avoid cursing.

Roman Catholics are also urged to make the sign of the cross before setting off on a journey.

That'll be a good one if you are a christian taxi driver picking up fares from forest gate

This is said to be the first time the Vatican has specifically dealt with the growing worldwide problem of road rage.

'Occasion of sin'

The 36-page document was put together by the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Migrants and Itinerant People.

We know that as a consequence of transgressions and negligence, 1.2 million people die each year on the roads

Cardinal Renato Martino

"Thou shalt not drive and drink", "thou shalt not make rude gestures behind the steering wheel" and "help accident victims" are among the 10 recommendations for motorists.

Surely drive and drink is acceptable, its drink and drive that would be the problem. Or am I just being pedantic here  rubschin:

The document also warns that driving can bring out "primitive" behaviour in motorists, including "cursing, blasphemy, loss of sense of responsibility".

It says that automobiles can be "an occasion of sin" - particularly when they are used for dangerous overtaking or for prostitution.

eeek: I know there are people out there who really love cars but that is just disturbing. On the other hand its got to be more acceptable for the clergy than altar boys.

Cardinal Renato Martino, who heads the Vatican's council, said it was important to address the issue because driving had become a big part of contemporary life.

"We know that as a consequence of transgressions and negligence, 1.2 million people die each year on the roads," he said.

"That's a sad reality, and at the same time a great challenge for society and the Church."

There is not much speeding going on in the Vatican City itself, the BBC's David Willey in Rome says.

A 30km/h (19 mph) speed limit has been enforced for years in the tiny state.

The last recorded accident there was a year-and-a-half ago, our correspondent says.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The 10 commandments of driving
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
I agree ? talk about getting your priorities totally, completely and utterly wrong ? that just about sums it up. I was shouting at the radio this morning when I heard it but have been too busy to post? 1.2millions die every year on the roads and millions more die needlessly because the RCC won?t let them use condoms.

UK gov is adept at this attention diversion too ? I hear they want to have a footpath all round the UK ? headline news yesterday. Most excellent, that will make people sleep safe in their beds and give them confidence in the filthy germ ridden hospital that they?ll be taken to if they fall over during their trip.

Of course, if you have a path all round the UK people can walk around it ? after driving to a convenient car park in their polluting cars of course. Joined up thinking - my arse.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:38:11 PM »
1.2millions die every year on the roads and millions more die needlessly because the RCC won?t let them use condoms.

Go on, impress me.

How does the use of barrier contraceptives help road safety?

noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »
1.2millions die every year on the roads and millions more die needlessly because the RCC won?t let them use condoms.

Go on, impress me.

noooo:
::)
Less kids = less drivers. Silly.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »

Go on, impress me.

noooo:

Simple, recycling. Take 365 used ones melt them down and turn them into replacement tyres...  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »
Can they add one saying "Thou shalt not speed on the A3 after that last camera before hook, as the pigs in the camera wagon are hiding 300 yards down the road, in the shadows of the bridge and will get you with their mobile unit"

I can vouch that this is true as I was collared for it 2 hours ago. Bastards!

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »
Can they add one saying "Thou shalt not speed on the A3 after that last camera before hook, as the pigs in the camera wagon are hiding 300 yards down the road, in the shadows of the bridge and will get you with their mobile unit"

Bad luck.  cry:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »

Oh jolly hard luck ..... Hook you say ~ That was the nearest railway station to the village I come from. Just walk across Hook Common onto Odiham Common, cross the canal bridge and call in the Water Witch for a quick pint. When you leave the Water Witch you'll see a small road on the opposite side of the road. I was born in the end house.
All much changed now but I do have something like 10 generation sin the church yard there.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:38 AM »
. . .10 generation sin the church yard there.
[snigger] point:  [/snigger]
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:48 AM »
 redface: redface: redface: I told you I was not well yesterday. I may be joining them in the Churchyard.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Berek

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:03:45 AM »

Bad luck.  cry:

Bad luck? nonsense, he shouldn't have been speeding in the first place.  point:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 10:10:07 AM »
The eleventh commandment.

If thou ist driving in the americas, shouldst thou run into somebody gettest thou the hell out of there

An angry Texas crowd has beaten and killed a 40-year-old car passenger after a driver injured a young girl near the site of a busy local festival.
Police said the driver of the car had stopped to check on the health of the girl, said to be aged three or four.

But when the passenger got out to see how she was, he was set upon by a group of up to 20 people before being left lying in a car park, police said.

The girl was hit at low speed and was not seriously injured.

The incident happened near Austin, Texas, as crowd of between 2,000-3,000 people gathered for the annual Juneteenth festival, which commemorates the freeing of American slaves.

'Group mentality'

According to reports, the driver of the car hit the girl at a low speed while moving through a car park, and then stopped so his passenger could check on her condition.

But the angry crowd quickly turned on David Rivas Morales, 40, beating him before leaving him lying on the ground.

He was taken to hospital but pronounced dead soon afterwards. A preliminary autopsy listed "blunt force trauma" as the cause of death, the Associated Press reported.

The driver was able to leave the scene in his car.

"Mr Morales could have been assaulted by two to 20 folks," said Harold Piatt, from the Austin police department.

"It's that same crowd mindset of being one face in 1,000. Things get out of hand pretty quickly and people don't have the good sense to stop."

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »
True UM, but the bit of road is just a government cash cow. Still, I was in a hire car, so perhaps our lazy police force won't follow it through

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 05:51:25 AM »
True UM, but the bit of road is just a government cash cow. Still, I was in a hire car, so perhaps our lazy police force won't follow it through
happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs: