Author Topic: Sisters make you happy, brothers make you upset?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Sisters make you happy, brothers make you upset?
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
Happier? More open? Hmmm, I still remember my sister's dulcet tones as she would scream "I hate you", "You are being nasty to me" and throwing a tantrum at whichever relative was unfortunate enough to say or do something she didnt like.

What about the rest of you, how did your siblings make you feel?

Sisters spread happiness while brothers breed distress, experts believe.

Researchers quizzed 571 people aged 17 to 25 about their lives and found those who grew up with sisters were more likely to be happy and balanced.

The University of Ulster said having daughters made a family more open and willing to discuss feelings.

They said the influence of girls was particularly important after distressing family events such as marital break-ups.

The findings are due to be presented at the British Psychological Society in Brighton on Thursday.

During the study, participants filled in psychological questionnaires which researchers used to assess a range of issues, including whether they had a positive outlook and any mental health problems.

Lead researcher Professor Tony Cassidy said:"Sisters appear to encourage more open communication and cohesion in families.

"However, brothers seemed to have the alternative effect.

"Emotional expression is fundamental to good psychological health and having sisters promotes this in families."

He said many of the participants had been brought up in families where parents had split and the impact of sisters was even more marked in these circumstances.

"I think these findings could be used by people offering support to families and children during distressing times.

"We may have to think carefully about the way we deal with families with lots of boys."

Geri Burnikell, co-ordinator of the charity Support Line, which offers counselling to young people and families, said: "This is very interesting and certainly chimes with our experiences.

"Boys tend to internalise problems and in families where there are lots of sons, I can see that can cause problems.

"I think the most important thing in these circumstances is to give people someone independent to talk to outside the immediate family unit."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Sisters make you happy, brothers make you upset?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »
No sisters ~ one younger brother ~ we fought a lot I recall. Best of mates now though

He made neither happy nor unhappy ~ I found girls ...... they made me v. happy  eyes:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »
2 brothers  evil:

2 yrs younger -  the other 8 yrs younger.

Little little brother was adorable , other brother closest in age was an argumentative, opinionated, self righteous, obnoxious wind up merchant. We had some hooooge fights  noooo:

He hasn't changed  eeek: - love him to death now though - but then I don't have to live with him anymore  lol:
Skubber

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
i got two sisters an two bro's. my older sis got married when i was just 11, so was more a mum figure to me, my younger sis the baby of family is lovely she helps me out and is there when i need her, even though i dont see her very often as she in scallypool (three of my siblings are, older sis lives in runcorn )my bro's well....tormented me as a child..well in nicest possible way, my oldest bro used to take me for a cycle ride in is then carrier bike (used for his then paper round) and leave me bout 10 mins from house an make me walk home, most times with no shoes on.....LOL he also threw a knife at me one day wen i done his head in...loving bro..love him to death now he is bestest bro, my other one had his moments used to be horrible an once nearly broke my toe when teen.....he was a strange one, very quiet these days.... but its not such a wonder i am as mad as a box of frogs...LOL whistle:

happy088  Post of the week. If only such normality  cry:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »
what post.....? tis no more... Banghead
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »
what post.....? tis no more... Banghead
Where is it then...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
Who's patio'd it then?  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Mr Happy

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
Why are they asking 17 to 25 year olds, they still barely know their collective arses from elbows.

My thoughts at 25 would have been thus.  Older brother, he's ok, bit thick like but has a good heart.  Little Sis, attention seeking whinge bag with mummy and daddy prepared to spoil her.

Now I have 3 children, in the same order, I try to ensure that they treat each other well and we treat them fairly.  Of my siblings I now think thus:

Brother, deluded prick that is more concerned about how he is perceived by others than how he actually behaves.  A fact beautifuly demonstrated by his 5 year renewal of the wedding vows on the day of his sons Baptism, ahhh nice, whilst he was banging his secretary!  His smugness knows no bounds and his children want for little in terms of Ikea furniture and ELC toys, as for being 'dad' he is to my eyes a fraud.

Sister, psycopath.  For someone that has done fuck all with her life she is critical of all and sundry, furthermore she is unwilling to accept any responsibility for her own actions.  She did though bag a well off young man and 'accidentally' get herself up the spout trapping him forever more.  Well I say this, i found out he was banging someone else so gave him a kicking (more for the niece than the sister).  He's that daft that rather than make something up he said I got drunk and battered him, I was popular with the family.

Parents, strange.  My old fella was my hero at 25, best man at my wedding.  As i have progressed as a father, stumbling and attempting to learn from my failings, i have become more disappointed.  Siding with my sister when she called my eldest unwanted, seeming to think my brother is some sort of saint, it angers me.  You know though, I feel sorry for him that he doesn't see it and I don't point it out because frankly what's the point?  He gave up most of his life bringing us up, why would I question him?

I'm sure they all speak really highly of me, you can choose your friends but you can't murder your family!

Rant over...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:49:22 AM »
Excellent post!  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:22 AM »
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
Why has that woman got a large light buld stuck to her head?
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »
It's one of Nick's dinner parties - anything is possible  lol:
Skubber

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
Then that just has to Mrs. Nick in the centre.  eeek: