Author Topic: Power surge or drop  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Power surge or drop
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
There was a power blip here last night... only lasted for a second, the lights went off briefly then back on  rubschin:

Thought nothing of it but then the browser informed me I wasn't connected t'internet...  evil:  Wireless router reboots itself in about 10 minutes so... ok.
DAB tuner display has gone gibberish which means although the presets work I can't see anything else. I thought it might be an insurance jobby so looked up the make and model on the web (now back on) to find an FAQ about problems. There was an instruction about the digital display going wrong which involved taking the lid of the tuner...  scared2:

Have you ever taken the lid of a DAB tuner?  eeek:  It's all space in there! A circuit board and a couple of other bits and the rest is just space... You could grow seedlings in there! Anyhow, found a factory reset button about the size of a pin head with the words "Factory Reset" in 3pt type  ::) using a magnifying glass and.. hey presto! the thing works like new!

The 'putative' problem is, how many other things get gubbed by a power blip? And when do you know?  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: Power surge or drop
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »

Why do power blips always occur at night as well  rubschin:

Isn't it a nuisance when your alarm clock gets affected and you are late for work as your precious little digital clock had  automatically reset itself  to 12:00  whistle: whistle: whistle:

Skubber

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »
Bejaysus!  I hadn't even checked the digital alarm / radio  eeek:

Mind you, my getting to work involves falling from the bed >>> kitchen for a cuppa >>> shower >>> office off the living room >>> check emails >>> back to the kitchen for sustenance >>> back to office >>>  rubschin:  >>> is a dressing gown the right gear for the day?  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
You can go off people you know  cry:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »

Why do power blips always occur at night as well  rubschin:

Isn't it a nuisance when your alarm clock gets affected and you are late for work as your precious little digital clock had  automatically reset itself  to 12:00  whistle: whistle: whistle:

My radio alarm is a Roberts that has two sets of batteries as back up ~ one set specifically to keep the clock running and alarm function on for up to a week. whistle:

It was a pressy ~ you surely didn't think I would buy such a thing for myself? redface:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »
Thank goodness for that ....wasting precious money on a fancy alarm clock is folly indeed  lol:

Evil things that they are  evil:

Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »
My radio alarm is a Roberts that has two sets of batteries as back up ~ one set specifically to keep the clock running and alarm function on for up to a week.

. . as long as you remember to change the batteries regularly, rather than waiting until you realise they are flat after a power cut.  redface:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »
My radio alarm is a Roberts that has two sets of batteries as back up ~ one set specifically to keep the clock running and alarm function on for up to a week.

. . as long as you remember to change the batteries regularly, rather than waiting until you realise they are flat after a power cut.  redface:

lol: ~ as I found out the Roberts clock simply stops working although the display remained locked at the time when the batteries ran out. Mind I have had it for two years so that ain't bad for a couple of AAs.

Anywhoo ~ Who the F*** buys a radio alarm for a man who has retired and no longer needs to get up at any particular time? ~ My brother is who evil:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:20:30 AM »

lol: ~ as I found out the Roberts clock simply stops working although the display remained locked at the time when the batteries ran out. Mind I have had it for two years so that ain't bad for a couple of AAs.

Anywhoo ~ Who the F*** buys a radio alarm for a man who has retired and no longer needs to get up at any particular time? ~ My brother is who evil:
Who would know better than your brother, the degree to which you are institutionalised?   whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

Who would know better than your brother, the degree to which you are institutionalised?   whistle:

Ah ~ bitter truth indeed.  surrender:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 10:52:41 PM »

Erving Goffman? whistle
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.