Author Topic: Mia bleedin' Farrow - Solidarity My Arse.  (Read 326 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Mia bleedin' Farrow - Solidarity My Arse.
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:04 AM »
I'm so sick of publicity stunts by washed up celebrities claiming to be trying to help those in need. A bleedin hunger strike? Just how is that going to help the people in Sudan? Let's be honest here, it isn't. All it is going to do is put you back into the spotlight for a while. If you really wanted to help those people then you can start by donating a large part of the money you have and seriously work with the government agencies and charities trying to help those people. Don't try and con the public into fasting themselves just because you want to be famous again.

Mia Farrow will begin a hunger strike next week to show solidarity with the people of the war-hit Darfur region of Sudan, she has said.

The actress, 64, said she was fasting because the Sudanese government had decided to expel foreign aid agencies.

Thirteen aid groups were expelled in March after the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Sudan's president, Omar al-Bashir.

Mr Bashir is accused of orchestrating atrocities against civilians in Darfur.

The government has been fighting rebels in the region since 2003.

The UN says that up to 300,000 people have died during the conflict and 2.7 million driven from their homes.

Farrow said she wanted to express "outrage at a world that is somehow able to stand by and watch innocent men, women and children needlessly die of starvation, thirst and disease".

"I undertake this fast in the heartfelt hope that world leaders who know what is just and right will call upon the government of Sudan to urgently readmit all of the expelled agencies or otherwise insure that the [aid distribution] gap is filled," she said.

'Only water'

Farrow, who was once married to Frank Sinatra and later had children with Woody Allen, called on "human rights advocates and citizens of conscience around the world" to join her in "some form of fasting, even if for one day".

The actress, who is a goodwill ambassador for UN children's foundation Unicef, plans to start her "fast of only water" on Monday.

A spokesman for Farrow said she would fast for as long as possible.

Doctors estimated that, given her slim build, this would be for a maximum of three weeks, the spokesman added.

But Sudan's ambassador to the UN said that, instead of fasting, Farrow should use her fame "to put pressure on the rebel groups to come to the negotiating table".

"The government is committed to the welfare of its own citizens and doesn't need anybody to remind it of that," Abdalmahmoud Abdalhaleem told Reuters news agency.

"Darfur should cease to be an arena for those seeking fame and publicity."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: Mia bleedin' Farrow - Solidarity My Arse.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:27:49 AM »

I have already joined in with this ...it was a hell of a long time between breakfast and lunch . But with perseverance, will power and a worthy cause to fight for I have just about made it.  lol:
Skubber

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »

Would that be until she dies?

(How old is she?)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »

Would that be until she dies?

(How old is she?)
Pro Skub  Thumbs: