Author Topic: Clip on Ties  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Clip on Ties
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:11:36 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8051982.stm

Clip-on ties are replacing knotted school ties, as schools worry about health and safety....because of fears of ties getting caught in equipment or strangling pupils. There are also claims that clip-on ties can stop pupils from customising the size of the knots in their ties.

Oh FFS - how many schools have reported accidents involving ties getting caught in anything. Surely they should be asking all pupils with long hair to get it cut if you are working on the same principle .

As for customising the size of the knot..... noooo: -  kids will always find a way of customising a uniform - we've all done it !

Learning to tie a tie is one of those life skills akin to doing up your shoelaces - or will they be banned soon in case you slip up on them  evil:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Clip on Ties
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »
It gets worse by the day...  noooo:

Kids will have to have air bags built-in to their clothes soon lest they fall over... ::)

Have you seen the state of a children's playground these days...? How on earth is a kid supposed to split their head open, brake a limb or graze a knee in there? Heaven forbid they should have any fun...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:45:22 AM »
The Boy damages himself in all kinds of ways. A while back he fell down a tree hugging the trunk all the way down. Terrible scrapes all over his chest. Raw. He wasn't too bothered, then I remembered he had swimming at school the following day  scared2:

To avoid the arrival of armed Social Workers we had to write to the school and coach him in recounting details of hte accident  evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:52:41 AM »
The Boy damages himself in all kinds of ways. A while back he fell down a tree hugging the trunk all the way down. Terrible scrapes all over his chest. Raw. He wasn't too bothered, then I remembered he had swimming at school the following day  scared2:

To avoid the arrival of armed Social Workers we had to write to the school and coach him in recounting details of hte accident  evil:
Ah... I remember all my falling out of tree incidents... and getting stuck inside the trunk of a hollow tree...  redface:

I'm surprised they don't saw all of the death traps down...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:01:13 AM »
Ah... I remember all my falling out of tree incidents... and getting stuck inside the trunk of a hollow tree...  redface:

Was that in your riding days  rubschin:

As for The Boy - being accident prone , or adventurous or an explorer is now too risk adverse ...we should all sit at home and eat ..oh except we can't do that. Can't go  out   - can't stay in  shrugs:
Skubber

Online Nick

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:15:56 AM »
It was good practice for falling off roofs  ::)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »
Ties to trees by reply #2!

I think we deserve a round of applause!  happ096
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »
kids will always find a way of customising a uniform - we've all done it !

Not all my dear.

It was a capital offence for some.

I mostly despair

Online Nick

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »
Perhaps they keep white rabbits in them  rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »
We had to remove our ties in Woodwork classes for safety reasons even in the unenlightened 1950s and the girls had to wear hair nets in Domestic Science.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Nick

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »
The girls at our school also had to wear gigantic grey knickers, prolly with a steel lining, for some reason  rubschin:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »
The girls at our school also had to wear gigantic grey knickers, prolly with a steel lining, for some reason  rubschin:

We had to wear bottle green ones  sick2:

We also had to make our own PE skirt in needlework in the 1st year at secondary school. Weren't allowed to buy one at all !!!

Until you finished the making the skirt you had to do hockey and the like in your knickers .

Compounded by the issue of the playing field  being sited  right next door to the Boys School and they had to walk past to get to their school entrance. Oh the trauma  noooo:

Guaranteed you werked feckin hard in needlework - at least until you had made your skirt  evil:
Skubber

Online Nick

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Do you have any school photographs?

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:40:22 AM »
Yes...but I'm not in a bikini  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »
I have one school photograph ~ the usual whole class with some standing on benches to raise them up. There are 52 boys and one teacher in the picture. It was taken when I was in 9 in my last year but one at Junior School (Birthday fell so that I was always the youngest in the class hence took 11+ at the age of 10 and so on)

The point is that apart from me I can name no other child in the picture nor can I recall the name of the teacher. This is not a function of age as I could no more have named any of them within five years of leaving school.

In a similar vein I spent 6 years in the RAF after leaving school and I cannot remember a single name of any of my contemporaries. There are one or two particular characters I can recall (Drill Instructors, Commanding Officers etc and of course at least the Christian name of every Waaf I slept with).
SW(used)TBO  always said this shows what a shallow character I really am but in truth when I move on I move on and the past is firmly left behind.

Am I alone in this? So many people I know are still friends with people they were at school with donkey's years ago, have their mates from Uni or the old Regiment etc that they meet from time to time but I just don't do that sort of thing. Anyone else out there like this or am I truly alone?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.