Author Topic: Pssst.......wanna but a parking space, only ?24,000  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Pssst.......wanna but a parking space, only ?24,000
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
Yes folks you did read that correctly, a single parking space is up for sale in St Ives for ?24K. This county has gone mad  eeek:

A parking space in the Cornish resort of St Ives has gone on the market for ?24,000, twice the average salary in the town.
The freehold site in The Stennack, measuring 11ft by 6ft (3.4m x 1.8m), is a short stroll from the town's beaches.

House prices in some parts of the picturesque town have reflected substantial rises in the West Country.

In one road prices average more than ?550,000 and estate agents were not surprised at the price for a car park.

'Small potatoes'

Local agent Chris Wood, vice president of the National Association of Estate Agents, said: "If you can park your car you have an awful lot more freedom.

"You are not reliant on public transport which we all know is virtually non-existent down here.

"In any of the cities around the country short of parking spaces, they go for an awful lot more than that, up to hundreds of thousands of pounds in some parts of London, so this is small potatoes."

He said that a house price crash was unlikely.

"While most people expected a dip, it just has not happened. At the moment there are no signs that it will burst.

"Housing is still seen as a good investment by an awful lot of people."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Misunderstood

Re: Pssst.......wanna but a parking space, only ?24,000
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
At 11' x 6'  there's not a lot that would fit on it beyond a bike or two.

Maybe it was intended as a 'development' investment property...   confused:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:02:51 AM »
At 11' x 6'  there's not a lot that would fit on it beyond a bike or two.

Maybe it was intended as a 'development' investment property...   confused:
Any budding Fred Dibnah?s could buy it and build their own chimney.

Assuming there was no height limit of course?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Anise

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
Yes folks you did read that correctly, a single parking space is up for sale in St Ives for ?24K. This county has gone mad  eeek:

A parking space in the Cornish resort of St Ives has gone on the market for ?24,000, twice the average salary in the town.
The freehold site in The Stennack, measuring 11ft by 6ft (3.4m x 1.8m), is a short stroll from the town's beaches.

House prices in some parts of the picturesque town have reflected substantial rises in the West Country.

In one road prices average more than ?550,000 and estate agents were not surprised at the price for a car park.

'Small potatoes'

Local agent Chris Wood, vice president of the National Association of Estate Agents, said: "If you can park your car you have an awful lot more freedom.

"You are not reliant on public transport which we all know is virtually non-existent down here.

"In any of the cities around the country short of parking spaces, they go for an awful lot more than that, up to hundreds of thousands of pounds in some parts of London, so this is small potatoes."

He said that a house price crash was unlikely.

"While most people expected a dip, it just has not happened. At the moment there are no signs that it will burst.

"Housing is still seen as a good investment by an awful lot of people."

I'm sure I did read it correctly, such a shame it wasn't written so  point:

Misunderstood

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »

Explain please.

Anise

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »

Explain please.

Seeing as you request in such a polite and eloquent manner bouncer I shall do just that.

The opening line of the post states "Yes folks you did read that correctly.." referring to the statement "wanna but a parking space,"

I was making a humourous aside playing off the fact that I had read the statement correctly however it had been written incorrectly, last time I checked "wanna" is not in any dictionary and "but" does not mean to purchase.

I apologise for the inconvienince my erudite reply has obviously caused.

Misunderstood

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »

Explain please.

Seeing as you request in such a polite and eloquent manner bouncer I shall do just that.

The opening line of the post states "Yes folks you did read that correctly.." referring to the statement "wanna but a parking space,"

I was making a humourous aside playing off the fact that I had read the statement correctly however it had been written incorrectly, last time I checked "wanna" is not in any dictionary and "but" does not mean to purchase.

Sorry! I didn't realise the grammar police were back in town. 

Shame about the "inconvienince" it ruined a perfectly good post.  whistle:

Anise

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »

Explain please.

Did that spelling error not appear even slightly ironic?

Anise

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 07:32:06 PM »

Explain please.

Explain please.

Lest that one go misunderstood  drumroll: allow me to explain.

Bouncer questions my post picking up on poor spelling and in the very next breath picks up on poor spelling.

eyes:

Mr Happy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »
Oh great, the old days are back.  There's nothing like a bit of nostalgia, even if it aint what it used to be.   surrender:

Anyway, if i could return to the topic.

"If you can park your car you have an awful lot more freedom".

The insight of Estate Agent cum Philosopher Chris Wood.  Would freedom not arise through using your car to travel as opposed to parking it on a small scrap of land?

Misunderstood

Re: Pssst.......wanna but a parking space, only £24,000
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 09:50:01 PM »

Lest that one go misunderstood  drumroll: allow me to explain.

Bouncer questions my post picking up on poor spelling and in the very next breath picks up on poor spelling.

eyes:

No, sorry it didn't look ironic to me, it looked like a spelling error   ;)

What I thought was ironic, was the spelling error in the post made to justify the criticism of a  um,, spelling error.

As usual petal, you made me laugh, I may have misunderstood but tis you that is the critic  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:30:09 PM by Bouncer »

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 07:33:48 AM »

"If you can park your car you have an awful lot more freedom".

The insight of Estate Agent cum Philosopher Chris Wood.  Would freedom not arise through using your car to travel as opposed to parking it on a small scrap of land?

It is a daft statement but that doesn't mean that having your own parking space is not useful. I certainly wouldn't buy a house without off road parking. I'm 'lucky' in having a side drive but many neighbours have to street park which does cause a bit of friction among them.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »

Explain please.

The wanna was meant to be humorous, as soon as I read the article I just though spiv so it seemed appropriate.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 09:51:59 AM »
Surely we are not going back to picking over every typo, spelling error and intended "mis-spelling", used to indicate spoken slang, are we?
And then, of course, we have the old "It was ironic ~ pity you missed that" excuse.
We came here to get away from that ~ PLEASE.

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »
We came here to get away from that.
When you say "we" ? eyes:
I mostly despair