Disgusterous

Author Topic: Would you work for nothing  (Read 784 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Would you work for nothing
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
British Airways, which reported a record annual loss last month  asked its staff to work for free as part of the company's battle for "survival" in tough market conditions.

The appeal to its British-based employees asks workers to volunteer for between a week and a month in unpaid leave or in unpaid work....The new measure, which is designed to be more flexible, would not be compulsory but the company was instead encouraging staff to "play their part," a spokeswoman said.

I guess if it was a choice between being made redundant or taking up to a month in unpaid work or leave I would do it - however if it was not compulsory for all staff I can't see how this would work .

Also the option of taking unpaid leave would obviously be a lot more favourable than doing unpaid work officially - I recognise many do that as standard and don't get paid overtime etc - but looking for volunteers to do this may be a bit trickier    rubschin:

Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Would you work for nothing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Stoopid idea ~ the CEO says he'll forego a month's salary of £60K and wants others to do the same ~ but that still leaves him £660,000 to live on this year whilst a cleaner on £6.75 per hour is asked to give up their pittance ~ and what are they going to live on eh? EH?
The cleaner will be left trying to feed their family and pay their rent on £13,500 for the rest of the year.

Bit of difference looked at like that isn't it?  cussing:

Sack the fecking idiot who came up with this idea and flog some slots to other airlines and then maybe I'll take them seriously.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »
It's facile and unimaginative. How about the top 10 highest paid staff disperse their monthly salaries amongst the lowest paid of the workforce for the month to pay their wage packet. This would recognise that the lower paid cannot forego a wage packet, show some incentive and willingness and might even encourage others to forego a bonus or two  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:49:58 PM »
One BA cabin crew member told The Times: "We're all treating it like a joke. It's all very well for Willie Walsh, but my basic is only £11,000 a year."
“A lot of people are saying ‘if you pay off my mortgage, or pay my commuting costs, maybe we’ll consider it,” the crew member added.

However, the call for unpaid work goes a step further than previous initiatives because BA is in a "fight for survival" said Mr Walsh, who announced last week that he would work for free in July, saving his airline £62,000. Keith Williams, BA’s chief financial officer, will also waive his salary next month.

BA made a £401 million loss in 2008, its biggest in 25 years, amid surging fuel costs and a collapse in premium-fare passenger

£ 62,000 a month .... friggin £62,000 a month  censored: censored: censored:

What a feckin cheek  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:58:08 AM »
One BA cabin crew member told The Times: "We're all treating it like a joke. It's all very well for Willie Walsh, but my basic is only £11,000 a year."
“A lot of people are saying ‘if you pay off my mortgage, or pay my commuting costs, maybe we’ll consider it,” the crew member added.

However, the call for unpaid work goes a step further than previous initiatives because BA is in a "fight for survival" said Mr Walsh, who announced last week that he would work for free in July, saving his airline £62,000. Keith Williams, BA’s chief financial officer, will also waive his salary next month.

BA made a £401 million loss in 2008, its biggest in 25 years, amid surging fuel costs and a collapse in premium-fare passenger

£ 62,000 a month .... friggin £62,000 a month  censored: censored: censored:

What a feckin cheek  noooo:
Indeed, if Willie Walsh gave up his salary (and no doubt mahoosive pension payments) for a year instead of a month his staff might take him more seriously - and stop calling hum a cunt behind his back...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
Is hum a cunt some sort of Rugby song?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »

Glotech of Cyprus, which reported business this year was very slow held a meeting in the snug recently during which BaldyMort asked his slave (the gorgeous landlady) to work for free as part of his strategy to ensure his "survival" and ''continue'' habit of purchasing more new and expensive toys to play around with.

BaldyMort stated that of course this measure would not be compulsory but that he hoped his slave would agree that she needs to work harder, longer and better to continue to facilitate his extravagant lifestyle needs - he hoped that she would ''play her part,"

After this announcement from BladyMort Landlady was unavailable for comment but could be glimpsed in the darkened cellar dusting off his gimp suit and sharpening the bar knives for BaldyMort's gonads removal  

HOW DID YOU KNOW - I thought it only made the CY newspapers  rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »
 lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
lol: lol: lol: lol: lol: lol:

To prove my point he's upsatirs having a nap right now and although I admit that I am 'currently' playing, for the past few hours I have been in business catch up mode....... ah poor little me!!!

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »
I suppose even ex-pats have to werk sometimes. It must be a shock for you  noooo:

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
I suppose even ex-pats have to werk sometimes. It must be a shock for you  noooo:

CHEEKY - banned for 1 week   rubschin:

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »
 sad24:

WHy does he need a nap?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »

Glotech of Cyprus, which reported business this year was very slow held a meeting in the snug recently during which BaldyMort asked his slave (the gorgeous landlady) to work for free as part of his strategy to ensure his "survival" and ''continue'' habit of purchasing more new and expensive toys to play around with.

BaldyMort stated that of course this measure would not be compulsory but that he hoped his slave would agree that she needs to work harder, longer and better to continue to facilitate his extravagant lifestyle needs - he hoped that she would ''play her part,"

After this announcement from BladyMort Landlady was unavailable for comment but could be glimpsed in the darkened cellar dusting off his gimp suit and sharpening the bar knives for BaldyMort's gonads removal  

HOW DID YOU KNOW - I thought it only made the CY newspapers  rubschin:
evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 02:02:16 PM »
Ooh, he woke up!

I am sure he looks charming  angel1