Author Topic: Would you get on board  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Would you get on board
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
Passengers asked to balance plane

Dozens of holidaymakers returning to Newcastle refused to fly after they were asked to act as human ballast.A jammed hold door meant luggage could only be loaded into the front of the Thomas Cook plane at Mallorca airport.

Passengers were asked to move seats to distribute the weight, but 71 left the plane, fearing for their safety.Thomas Cook said it was standard procedure for airlines to ensure cargo and passengers were evenly distributed, and there was no safety risk.

Those who refused to fly on Saturday had to arrange alternative transport for themselves."They were saying it was not safe enough if we had to move about to balance the plane.

It is standard for all airlines to ensure cargo and passengers are evenly distributed on an aircraft .."The pilot came out to speak to us and told us it was perfectly safe."When someone asked if the hold door could open when we were in the air at 20,000ft, he couldn't understand and walked away."

Her group were among those who left the plane. They spent the night in the airport before catching another flight.

A Thomas Cook spokeswoman said: "It is standard for all airlines to ensure cargo and passengers are evenly distributed on an aircraft and there will be times when passengers will be asked to move to the front or back of a plane. "This is a routine industry procedure and poses no safety issue."We are disappointed that despite reassurances from the captain and crew, a number of passengers decided not to travel."

Hardly surprising that after the recent Air France disaster people are a bit jittery about flying  ...this just seems to be a real breakdown in communication though.

I have never known a flight before though that has asked passengers to spread out a bit to 'balance' the load ..that I think would unnerve me completely  rubschin:

Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Would you get on board
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »
You clearly never flew from RAF Lyneham when I was in charge of the loading then.  whistle:

Seriously, weight distribution, the load planning etc was and is an important part of pre-flight planning. I speak as one who is qualified to do the job on certain aircraft (No ~ a little later than the Sopwith Camel  ::))
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
Doesn't the fact that human nature means that people will want to sit as far apart from one another as possible anyway  - therefore introducing a natural balancing system

However if the Pilot came out and started asking people to move around  - that I'm afraid would freak me and start the worry spiral whirring  scared2:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
I once had to ask a very rotund Major travelling with his troops to either get on another aircraft or I would have to dump the kit of four of his men.
In those days we were flying soldiers to Canada where they were to go on exercises. The aircraft of the day for a non stop long haul (Lyneham to Goose Bay) was the four engined turbo prop Brittania. Held 7000 gallons of fuel and when fully laden used 3000 gallons to get off the deck.

Beautiful aircraft. Whispering Giants we used to call them.   cloud9:

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:54:06 AM »
On each of my recent flights to Scotty Land on little prop planes we have been moved around the cabin to balance the weight and told not to change seats later  scared2:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
You see - now that would panic me......and I would be looking for signs of anyone moving that shouldn't and send them death stares if they even shuffled in their seat  scared2:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05:45 AM »
I'd be happy about balancing the plane by moving around - the centre of gravity is critical for take off and landing...

Cyprus airways made everybody sit at the back on a recent flight that LL was on because of it.

However, telling everybody that the luggage compartment door was jammed was a big mistake which would inevitably cause concern to some people (me included).
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
What, she sat at the front and everyone else had to sit at the back to balance her out like? Too many chips  noooo:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:07:40 AM »
What, she sat at the front and everyone else had to sit at the back to balance her out like? Too many chips  noooo:

It has been nice knowing you Nick  eeek:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:09:26 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 07:08:22 AM »
What, she sat at the front and everyone else had to sit at the back to balance her out like? Too many chips  noooo:
Tsk, tsk...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:11:04 AM »
However, telling everybody that the luggage compartment door was jammed was a big mistake which would inevitably cause concern to some people (me included).

Exactly .......it's like anything that's jammed - it will always become free just when you least expect it , least want it to or when someone else tries to open it - making you look pathetic  redface:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:12:19 AM »
Whatever happened to the Bra Clips thread?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:43 AM »
Whatever happened to the Bra Clips thread?
That was in a previous life Nick...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 07:59:40 AM »
I'd be happy about balancing the plane by moving around - the centre of gravity is critical for take off and landing...

Cyprus airways made everybody sit at the back on a recent flight that LL was on because of it.

Exactly! I've been on planes before where we've been moved for take off and landing but we've been free to sit where we want for the rest of the flight. Telling them the door was jammed was just idiotic.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »

Exactly! I've been on planes before where we've been moved for take off and landing but we've been free to sit where we want for the rest of the flight. Telling them the door was jammed was just idiotic.
Like I said like....  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: