Author Topic: The Enemy in the Camp. (Homeopathy)  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: The Enemy in the Camp. (Homeopathy)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:33 AM »
You are a lame animal and I claim my ?5
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:20:09 AM »
You are a lame animal and I claim my ?5

No, I definitely read womens magazines.
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »
Two visits to the homeopath and I was sorted. Other than a couple of migraines I haven't had a day off sick in over a year.

Sorry Wenchy but I find that very difficult to believe. What exactly did these two visits involve? I genuinely would like to know as I do think it's clap trap.

The first visit was basically a lot of talking. An attempt to track back to when I had started being ill all the time etc etc. In fact very like a counselling appointment. She then gave me a set of tablets/remedies to take. I took them and there was a marked improvement in another area I was also seeing her for. The second visit involved discussing my reaction to the first set of tablets what I felt had improved what hadn't. She then gave me a stronger dosage of one of the tablets and away I went.

All in all I saw her once a month for six months. If it had just been the immune issues then I would have stopped after two but my other problem took a little longer and admittedly whilst she helped it is in no way sorted.

As I've said. Quite possibly claptrap but it worked for me. I had been averaging a minimum of 20 days off sick a year for three years. Actually sickness not sickies. With varying chest infections, colds, stomach bugs etc etc etc. Since those first two visits I have had five days off with actual sickness. Two with the recent pestilence and three for migraines that were related to the issue she couldn't sort.

As I say, I'm no expert but it worked for me when "normal" medicine told me there was nothing they could do. I was desperate which is why I went to see her. But I'd been desperate for three years and willing to believe that "modern medicine" would work too. It didn't, she did. I'm not saying that it would or will work for everyone nor am I claiming that I will never visit the doctor again. Because I have, recently with the pestilence. But in the future when modern medicine fails me again I will certainly go back to it if I have to.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:49 PM »
The way I see it is that the 'counselling' is a major part of the treatment, especially with something non-specific that can have a psychosomatic cause. Just talking about it to a sympathetic ear can make difference. As to diluting a preparation, I just cannot see how that could work. Which means your 'stronger' dose must have in fact been weaker.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »
Technically yes. But I'd had counselling not long after the immune system breakdown had started so it couldn't really have been that alone. And she had to a certain extent sorted out my hormone issues.

So anyway, not for everyone, yes rather witch doctorish but I'm not going to knock it!  lol:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
My recently retired GP was also a registered Homeopath
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
At a session of the House of Commons select committee on science and technology, the professional standards director of Boots, Paul Bennett, had a remarkable admission to make about one of his company's key products, its range of homeopathic medicines.

"I have no evidence before me to suggest they are efficacious," he acknowledged. "And we look very much for the evidence to support that. It is about consumer choice for us."

And you can see why. Millions of people believe they are cures for most of life's woes, from headaches to eczema. Prince Charles even claims one helped him get over the effects of his recent broken arm. But now the efficacy of homeopathic drugs is under attack ? from MPs who believe their effects are unproven and that their use is a waste of taxpayers' money. They are pressing to ensure that the National Health Service no longer spends an estimated ?4m on homeopathic treatments.

Last year the select committee began hearing evidence about the use of homeopathy in the NHS and will finalise the wording of its report on the subject tomorrow. The report will be published the following week ? and is likely to call for a complete reappraisal of the role of homeopathy in the health service.

Seems the scientists  say 'No '  - which I guess is no big surprise  lol:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »
Didn't I read somewhere that some people tried to overdose on them outside Boots...?  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »

Members of the Merseyside Skeptics Society gathered at Boots branches around the UK and downed whole bottles of tablets.

They say homeopathy is "scientifically absurd" and want the Boots chain to withdraw all treatments from its shelves.

Homeopathy uses very highly diluted substances to trigger the body to heal itself - but the MSS said: "They are diluted so much there is nothing in them."

At 10.23 on Saturday 30th  January, Simon took a vial out of his pocket. He examined the instructions on the label: two pills to be taken every two hours for the first six doses. The contents should not be touched by hand, but be administered directly into the mouth. The vial should be kept both out of reach and sight of children. The middle-aged man then knocked back all 84 tablets and swallowed.

As Simon Singh stood in a public square in London, and waited for the effects of his overdose to take hold, hundreds of other despairing men and women around him poured scores of pills and medicines down their throats.

By taking remedies in quantities far beyond the dosages recommended by their manufacturers, Singh ? a television presenter and author of several books on science ? joined campaigners attempting to demonstrate the case against homoeopathy, and those who supply it.

Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »
Only ?4m? ~ not much when you think of the money they spend on Management Consultants to tell them how to clean a ward and then they ignore the advice anyway. ::)

Anyway ~ Don't say it doesn't work so that's it ~ neither do most of the "scientific" poisons drugs that the NHS over-prescribes to the tune of some ?60m annually.

These "Overdose" to prove something idiots have proved that they can safely take more than the recommended dose because "we didn't all die" ~ what they aren't saying is whether they felt any better for it.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 10:56:52 AM »

Members of the Merseyside Skeptics Society gathered at Boots branches around the UK and downed whole bottles of tablets.

They say homeopathy is "scientifically absurd" and want the Boots chain to withdraw all treatments from its shelves.

Homeopathy uses very highly diluted substances to trigger the body to heal itself - but the MSS said: "They are diluted so much there is nothing in them."

At 10.23 on Saturday 30th  January, Simon took a vial out of his pocket. He examined the instructions on the label: two pills to be taken every two hours for the first six doses. The contents should not be touched by hand, but be administered directly into the mouth. The vial should be kept both out of reach and sight of children. The middle-aged man then knocked back all 84 tablets and swallowed.

As Simon Singh stood in a public square in London, and waited for the effects of his overdose to take hold, hundreds of other despairing men and women around him poured scores of pills and medicines down their throats.

By taking remedies in quantities far beyond the dosages recommended by their manufacturers, Singh ? a television presenter and author of several books on science ? joined campaigners attempting to demonstrate the case against homoeopathy, and those who supply it.

hahahahaha!

Excellent!  lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd