Author Topic: Fantastic Headlines  (Read 1053453 times)

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: Fantastic Headlines
« Reply #3360 on: June 28, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
That's centrally driven (assuming speed humps, other traffic calming measures etc), so much money is ring-fenced, very little is there for maintenance

For my patch, last October the government announced that to "boost the economy" they were giving £170 million to spend on the roads. Our share of that pot was £17 million. "Oh great" we thought, "we can do much needed works in lane 3 here for 1km, lanes 1 and 2 there for 2km" etc etc

"Oh no you can't" they said, we need schemes that lead to new developements, to new factories that we are going to fund too" ... I kid you not, the unwritten criteria was that they want schemes where a minister can cut a ribbon to open the bloody thing  noooo:  We have factories and warehouses closing down here, there and everywhere that are gathering dust, and they want to build new ones  cussing:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:12:16 PM by Just One More »
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3361 on: June 28, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
That's centrally driven (assuming speed humps, other traffic calming measures etc), so much money is ring-fenced, very little is there for maintenance

For my patch, last October the government announced that to "boost the economy" they were giving £170 million to spend on the roads. Our share of that pot was £17 million. "Oh great" we thought, "we can do much needed works in lane 3 here for 1km, lanes 1 and 2 there for 2km" etc etc

"Oh no you can't" they said, we need schemes that lead to new developements, to new factories that we are going to fund too" ... I kid you not, the unwritten criteria was that they want schemes where a minister can cut a ribbon to open the bloody thing  noooo:  We have factories and warehouses closing down here, there and everywhere that are covering dust, and they want to build new ones  cussing:

Zackly...

Tis sickening to see billions pissed away....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #3362 on: June 30, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »
Morning folks, tea is ready. smile:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
« Reply #3364 on: June 30, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
 shrugs:  I'm not awake properly yet give me a moment and I will be in the right place.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3365 on: June 30, 2013, 06:37:48 AM »
shrugs:  I'm not awake properly yet give me a moment and I will be in the right place.

Okay... I'm not trying that first pot of tea tho....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3366 on: June 30, 2013, 06:40:25 AM »
Still no sleep, hope nobody else wants coffee as I'm about to drain the machine.  eatdrink013
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

• Power Poster
« Reply #3367 on: June 30, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »
Well if you insist on waking up in a strange bed every morning what you you expect young whipper snapper?

J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3368 on: June 30, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
No such luck there, just a combination of insomnia and feckin rowdy students  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3369 on: June 30, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »
. . . and feckin rowdy students  Banghead

we hope you took appropriate precautions
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #3370 on: June 30, 2013, 11:55:50 PM »

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #3371 on: July 01, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10137953/Cleaner-air-linked-to-more-hurricanes.html

I said no good would come of the "tom greenery" - I'd say this is pretty fantastic - clean the air to fix the climate, and what happens?  <snigger>
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3372 on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10137953/Cleaner-air-linked-to-more-hurricanes.html

I said no good would come of the "tom greenery" - I'd say this is pretty fantastic - clean the air to fix the climate, and what happens?  <snigger>

First line tells you all you need to know about it tho doesn't it...?  noooo:

Researchers from the Met Office established a direct link between levels of industrial pollution and the frequency of hurricanes in the North Atlantic.

And true to form, our junk science expectations are confirmed...

In the North Atlantic there has been a clear increase in the frequency of tropical storms and hurricanes, rising from an average of 10 per year between 1850 and 1990 to 15 per year between 1998 and 2007.

Why compare the 140 year period 1850 to 1990 to the 9 year period 1998 to 2007...? What happened to the years 1991 through 1997 or the years 2008 to 2012...? Shrugs:

Cherry-picked data is always the sign of poor science...

And we're paying billions  for this shite....  angry037
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3373 on: July 01, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
exactly

it's the old problem of it's easy for a charlattan to use false statistical analysis to fool so many

Ever heard the ice cream and drownings fallacy?
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3374 on: July 01, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
exactly

it's the old problem of it's easy for a charlattan to use false statistical analysis to fool so many

Ever heard the ice cream and drownings fallacy?

Yes indeed!  ;D
Pro Skub  Thumbs: