Disgusterous

Author Topic: I.T Depts  (Read 4203 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: I.T Depts
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
So pleased we have brightened your day tel.  ;)

You see the one thing all those who advocated the "paperless" office and the use of lap-tops, emails, blackberrys (ies?) etc forgot was that previously girls (and some boys) who wished to be secretaries had been trained to type and could go, with all fingers flying, at a rate of 80 words per minute, with few errors and good shorthand note takers could be reckoned on reaching about 60 words per minute. Your average secretary or girl from the typing pool was capable of achieving 50 wpm shorthand and 65/70 wpm typing. I use two (sometimes three) fingers to type and achieve about 25wpm but it is full of errors which then have to be corrected. I cannot touch type of course. Also the secretary would correct, as she went, any gramatical errors etc and the signatory would give the letter a final proof read. The secretary could also deal with letters, dictated into a dictaphone, that you recorded whilst en route to the office for her to transcribe whilst you got on with other tasks. All these skills and attendant double checking is lost when you take modern educated people and tell them to produce their own letters and NO-ONE checks them before they are sent. Just a few more reasons why newer is not always better and a pointer as to why we all receive so many poorly written letters from various businesses, councils, etc these days.

I typed my own letters when I first joined my old company. No-one checked them. The problems arose because the customers didn't understand some of the words I used. Please don't tarnish all is "modern educated people" with the same brush. And I do about 45wpm.

And I can spell "grammatical" etc.  ;)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »
Yes I am sure you can but "Modern Educated"  refers to the likes of my Daughter who can barely spell her own name and is rated an A* GCSE student.
You, as I recall, left school a long time before she was born.

Me? I too went to Grammar school but am capable of typos because I am not a f*cking trained typist ~ I was a manager. There is a difference in the job specification. You are merely confirming my point ~ every man to his last. My secretary typed the letters ~ I did the selling and the management of the department. She was paid ?18k, I was paid ?45k. Tells me all I need to know.

don't tarnish all is "modern educated people" with the same brush

BTW Why is you talking with a West Indian accent.  point: Typo perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:23:40 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »
 noooo: noooo: noooo:

Has it really come down to my typo's are bigger than yours  whistle:
Skubber

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:16 AM »
Yes I am sure you can but "Modern Educated"  refers to the likes of my Daughter who can barely spell her own name and is rated an A* GCSE student.
You, as I recall, left school a long time before she was born.

Me? I too went to Grammar school but am capable of typos because I am not a f*cking trained typist ~ I was a manager. There is a difference in the job specification. You are merely confirming my point ~ every man to his last. My secretary typed the letters ~ I did the selling and the management of the department. She was paid ?18k, I was paid ?45k. Tells me all I need to know.

don't tarnish all is "modern educated people" with the same brush

BTW Why is you talking with a West Indian accent.  point: Typo perhaps?

Bottoms  redface:

So the combined total salary was ?63k. I can't help thinking most businesses took the line of "sod that, they can type their own, we'll save a packet and live with the odd typo". And it wouldn't take much cerebration to consider sending people on typing courses. Time could be saved too - by the time you've dictated your missive, along with all the "erms.." and lengthy pauses, the secretary has painted her nails, scratched her fanny and typed it, it could easily already be winging its way to its destination via our wonderful red-band dropping Post Office.

Prolly.  whistle:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:35 AM »
I imagine ?63 K was quite handsome in 1922  whistle:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »

When Snoopy was young, weren't they still using Groats?  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:15 AM »
You cannot connect new laptops to the networked printers etc at logon I'm afraid , if only life was that simple  noooo:- they have to be set up by tekky man ( nincompoop that he is ) - and I'm afraid the backslash would appear to be essential in this process.

However they have now gone away to come up with a workaround ...to be continued tomorrow  angry041: angry041: angry041:

Basically, in a "proper" networked environment, users access and accessibility would be centrally controlled - ie shares on servers, email, internet access, printers etc., would be allocated by their logon. This makes life simpler for the administrator and the user. It is also more secure and safer.
Your "techies" would appear to be a bunch of amateurs. They are also slow and very un-professional, even by my standards.
Twould seem that they should be shown the door.

RTFM

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 09:06:06 AM »
We have "roving profiles" so wherever I login I get all my files, access to printers etc.

Offline Nick

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »
Uncle Mort's life takes on a whole new aspect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQtzrI5w88

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
We have "roving profiles" so wherever I login I get all my files, access to printers etc.

The term is roaming", so less of the wild.

RTFM

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:14 AM »
 redface:

I.T. guys tend to mumble.  whistle:

Offline Nick

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 09:15:12 AM »

The term is roaming", so less of the wild.

Except after 'lunch'  whistle:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »
Roaming profiles can also be a pain in the arse, if not set-up properly.  It's great fun when your Outlook .pst file decides to bung itself on the hard drive of a PC you may be temporarily using.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
Oh yes.

Amazing how pissed off, people get when they try to logon and it takes forever.

RTFM