Disgusterous

Author Topic: Oh no, the noise (new Boy related awfulness)  (Read 678 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Oh no, the noise (new Boy related awfulness)
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:13 PM »
 noooo:

The Boy has announced that he is forming a band  eeek: A rock band  eeek:

His friend plays the drums  noooo:, someone else plays guitar, The Boy reckons he can do keyboard and sax but will ALSO require an electric guitar  cussing:

They are trying to find a singer.

Mrs Nick has offered her services (as a sort of unique selling point) but he has said that no on would 'take them seriously'  eeek:

They want to rehearse HERE  Banghead
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: Oh no, the noise
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:35:11 PM »
DO NOT LET THEM..

A couple of years ago my daughters wanted to do the same, foolishly I told them they could practice at home, thinking it would be nice to have the house filled with young things....Big mistake the noise was awful,  I ended up outside washing the car several times in a sub zero temperature.

They enjoyed it though.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Nick

Re: Oh no, the noise (new Boy related awfulness)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »
They could go in the cellar  eveilgrin:

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
They could go in the cellar  eveilgrin:

How easy would it be to brick it up?
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
It could be done in a trice  happy088

Note to self: establish the precise duration of a trice

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »
A trice you say.... if it could be done in a thrice it would sound like a plan... eveilgrin:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:51:07 PM by Miss Creant »
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
In a trice

Meaning

In a single moment, with no delay.

Origin

Trice is no longer in general use, but might have worked out that it means 'a very short period of time' from the phrase 'in a trice'. That seems reasonable, as the phrase is the only place we are now likely ever to come across the word. That's not the original meaning of 'trice' though - it had a more specific meaning, which was 'at a single pull'. This derived from the name given in the 14th century to a nautical windlass or pulley (variously 'tryse', 'tryce', 'trise' or 'trice') - hence the 'single pull' meaning.

The phrase was first recorded, in the 15th century, in the form 'at a trice'. For example, in the verse The lyfe of Ipomydon, 1440:

The howndis... Pluckid downe dere all at a tryse. [The hounds... plucked down deer all at a trice]

The first recording of the 'in a trice' version of the phrase is in John Skelton's Poetical Works, 1508:

To tell you what conceyte I had than in a tryce, The matter were to nyse.

What comes after once, twice, thrice?

Nothing, I'm afraid. These three are the only words of their type, and no further terms in the series have ever existed (the suggestion of `quince' for `five times' is picturesque but no more!). Presumably the language has not felt the lack of them.

The management are indebted to the "Oxford Dictionary on line" for the above.  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:54:14 PM »
Personally I have encouraged all my children to learn to play the church organ.
This will ensure that: (i) They will find a welcome in whichever parish they live in future years and (ii) they cannot practice at home  eveilgrin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:18:08 PM »
In a trice

Meaning

Origin

Trice is no longer in general use, but might have worked out that it means 'a very short period of time' from the phrase 'in a trice'. That seems reasonable, as the phrase is the only place we are now likely ever to come across the word. That's not the original meaning of 'trice' though - it had a more specific meaning, which was 'at a single pull'. This derived from the name given in the 14th century to a nautical windlass or pulley (variously 'tryse', 'tryce', 'trise' or 'trice') - hence the 'single pull' meaning.

The phrase was first recorded, in the 15th century, in the form 'at a trice'. For example, in the verse The lyfe of Ipomydon, 1440:

The howndis... Pluckid downe dere all at a tryse. [The hounds... plucked down deer all at a trice]

The first recording of the 'in a trice' version of the phrase is in John Skelton's Poetical Works, 1508:

Nothing, I'm afraid. These three are the only words of their type, and no further terms in the series have ever existed (the suggestion of `quince' for `five times' is picturesque but no more!). Presumably the language has not felt the lack of them.

The management are indebted to the "Oxford Dictionary on line" for the above.  whistle:

Oh bugger........ Just, well, oh bugger bugger and double bugger. redface:
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:52:25 PM »
In a trice

Meaning

Origin

Oh bugger........ Just, well, oh bugger bugger and double bugger. redface:
Thrice thou art buggered.  point:
I mostly despair

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
Ouch!

I do wish that you wouldn't do that! redface:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:30:05 PM by Miss Creant »
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline beerhead

• Wet behind the ears
  • Not quite a regular
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
Refer the whole project to social services. Make the Boy pay for every instrument, string, pedal, amp, pick, mic, stand, cable, etc out of his own pocket. Encourage him to earn money to pay for it. If he is keen he will do it, if not he is another whining scally who should be euthanased. And Mrs Nick needs to be sent for readjustment. Now.
Not quite a regular ! Regular as clockwork me !

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »
 rubschin: