Disgusterous

Author Topic: How not to start the day off ....  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: How not to start the day off ....
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »
Tsk  noooo:

Well, you can't be too careful after handling a blood-spattered workmate.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 08:38:17 PM »
No fear...I don't have any open wounds...just the scars on my soul  cry:
Skubber

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
No fear...I don't have any open wounds...just the scars on my soul  cry:

Yes, we all have scars on our souls.  noooo:
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 07:26:13 AM »
And so the day begins  Banghead

Yesterday one of the people in my team hadn't shown up for work by lunchtime. She was due to be in but no call received offering an explanation etc. So I rang her mobile and home numbers and left messages.

At 2 o clock she emailed in to say she would be taking the day off as leave due to circumstances beyond her control  Shrugs:

I replied and said the following:-

"........you are aware of the absence reporting procedure and I'm sure you can appreciate the onus is on an individual to telephone a manager, regardless of the circumstances, before 10am. I do not consider an email at 2pm prompted by my phone messages to be adequate notification or acceptable.

Obviously I am unaware of the circumstances for which you have taken time off and we will need to discuss the matter upon your return to the office.

We can make retrospective arrangements for you to take the time as leave/flexi when we meet. Unless I hear further from you I will assume that you will return to work tomorrow
."

Surely this is reasonable... rubschin:

I have opened up my messages this morning to find this reply :-

"Tone of your email is completely unnecessary. The time taken is annual leave I have not requested special leave or sick leave. You have no idea the circumstances of my late reporting,  Your exaggerated response is unacceptable. I am totally unaware that you rang me and my email to you confirmed I will be in Tuesday, and confirmed  AL or flexi leave  if my hours allow.
I am now in need of taking Tuesday off , as A/L."

let the battle commence
 Explode:

Skubber

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
Sack her!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »
Keeeel her!  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »
She is also the one that has taken out a grievance against me for refusing her some training ( discrimination etc ) . The course was for 18months. Cost ?4k and was for managers - which is not her position.

cussing: cussing: cussing:

Skubber

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »
Sack her then keeeel her!

If she wants special treatment and compassion she should have told you the circumstances of her taking time off and not advising you.

Somehow though I get the feeling that the circumstances will turn out to be trivial.

Offline Nick

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
She prolly had an accident with a paint pod
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 08:24:25 AM »
She has a real feckin issue with any kind of authority.......and has absolutely no concept that any of her behaviour is wrong and never will.

This can only end badly  noooo:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »
She has a real feckin issue with any kind of authority.......and has absolutely no concept that any of her behaviour is wrong and never will.

For her!  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »

Write a considered report enclosing copies of all relevant correspondence, times of your calls etc, stating that you feel unable to deal with the matter due to the outstanding grievance and dump the whole matter on HR. When she arrives, eventually, for work you would be within your rights to suspend her on full pay until those above you can resolve the matter. Meanwhile instruct the pay section to deduct her pay for the period of absence as she has failed to comply with the (presumably) written procedures and has thus no permission to be absent. Well that's how it would have been dealt with in the world of employment that I came from and certainly, in my days as a Post Office Union Officer, would have drawn no complaint from the union as the employee is (i) breaking the agreed procedures (and all unions know it is their own interests to maintain those) and (ii) by passing the buck upwards you will take the argument away from the personal level that she is relying on and thus remove the union reps major headache and allow them to discuss an "arrangement" to mutual advantage with "management".

But what do I know ~ it would probably be easier to keeeeeel her!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »

Write a considered report enclosing copies of all relevant correspondence, times of your calls etc, stating that you feel unable to deal with the matter due to the outstanding grievance and dump the whole matter on HR. When she arrives, eventually, for work you would be within your rights to suspend her on full pay until those above you can resolve the matter. Meanwhile instruct the pay section to deduct her pay for the period of absence as she has failed to comply with the (presumably) written procedures and has thus no permission to be absent. Well that's how it would have been dealt with in the world of employment that I came from and certainly, in my days as a Post Office Union Officer, would have drawn no complaint from the union as the employee is (i) breaking the agreed procedures (and all unions know it is their own interests to maintain those) and (ii) by passing the buck upwards you will take the argument away from the personal level that she is relying on and thus remove the union reps major headache and allow them to discuss an "arrangement" to mutual advantage with "management".

But what do I know ~ it would probably be easier to keeeeeel her!

Wot he said.

I am also offering a special deal to all VP members of 10% off a "Slurry Surprise" if ordered before 1st September.

Terms and conditions apply
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »

Get rid of her and hire me! I can bow and scrape with aplomb and make a fab cup of tea! I also have no history of fainting.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »
Hey u - good to see you here . You have been missed  cry:

PS I would love to hire you - at least I would have a laugh at work  lol:

And I so don't expect bowing or scraping - just to do what you are meant to do - that's all
Skubber