Author Topic: Teenage angst.  (Read 941 times)

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Teenage angst.
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »
Daughter number three is due to get her results today. scared2:

Reading is her first choice, Bristol her second I fear that she may end up going through clearance.

There will be tears before bedtime of that I am certain. noooo:

I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: Teenage angst.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
Please wish her good luck from me.

The Independent today has a supplement listing all courses available - worth getting.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
Daughter number three is due to get her results today. scared2:

Reading is her first choice, Bristol her second I fear that she may end up going through clearance.

There will be tears before bedtime of that I am certain. noooo:

Wish her luck ~ anyway she'll know by lunchtime.

Mrs S#2 and I coached a girl through her first year at Reading. She was doing English Lit. We rather liked the idea of Reading reading at Reading.

Bristol is more picky that Reading and don't like being put down as second choice so I hope she didn't. They used to rule applicants out on that reason alone ~ don't know if they still do but leopards never change their spots, they just get better at camouflage. 

AND before those who would like to believe that this is an equitable society in which we live all start shouting at me about "that would not be a fair and objective way of selecting students" I'll get my five penn'orth in. That's Life! ~ Accept it or you lose.

We have to wait for GCSE results next Thursday!

Frankly given Little Miss Bolshy's attitude to it all I don't actually give a stuff if she gets good or bad grades. Frankly I feel that the worse grades she gets the better it will be for her because that just might be the wake up call she needs. If she gets good ones then we'll never hear the end of how brilliant she is (not that she ever stops telling us anyway ~ even 8 year old Minimus told her to "F*ck off and get a real life" yesterday). If she tells me one more time how much harder the GCSEs are now compared to 'O' Levels and how much cleverer today's pupils must be I swear I will do her an injury. GCSEs are not harder, they require different skills and do not test the breadth of knowledge in any subject ~ they only test the pupil's ability to learn a enough facts to pass a particular exam. The context into which they should be able to fit those facts is no longer needed. Which is why A levels and Uni come as such a shock to many.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:27:32 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
Thanks guys. 

She is one grade short of Reading's requirements.  There may still be hope.  She too is doing English, or at least she will be if she gets in.  I think a few phone calls are in order. ::)
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
From the Independent:

Top tips: how to land your dream course

*Don't panic: this just leads to bad decisions. Not meeting your grades is not the last mistake you'll make in your life ? or the biggest. Focus on the fact that you have options open to you: apply somewhere else, or take a productive gap year and apply again.

*Call the National Exams Results Helpline: 0808-100 8000. It's open to all students, and it's about the only time in your life you can get totally free careers advice from trained professionals. Milk it.

*Be around to make the calls to different universities ? and don't get your parents to call.

*Be patient: you will have to spend a lot of time on the phone. UCAS has over 100 advisers fielding calls from 7am on 20 August, but last year they received 14,000 calls on the first day. If you don't get through first time, keep trying, or visit the website.

*Be organised: Clearing is a frantic process and there's a temptation to start dialling without preparation, but it's better to take your time. Remember that Clearing lasts for more than a month, and keeping careful notes and recording who you speak to can save time in the long run.
note my bold!

They also have a search programme:

UCAS Clearing Search 2009

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
From the Independent:

Top tips: how to land your dream course

*Don't panic: this just leads to bad decisions. Not meeting your grades is not the last mistake you'll make in your life ? or the biggest. Focus on the fact that you have options open to you: apply somewhere else, or take a productive gap year and apply again.

*Call the National Exams Results Helpline: 0808-100 8000. It's open to all students, and it's about the only time in your life you can get totally free careers advice from trained professionals. Milk it.

*Be around to make the calls to different universities ? and don't get your parents to call.

*Be patient: you will have to spend a lot of time on the phone. UCAS has over 100 advisers fielding calls from 7am on 20 August, but last year they received 14,000 calls on the first day. If you don't get through first time, keep trying, or visit the website.

*Be organised: Clearing is a frantic process and there's a temptation to start dialling without preparation, but it's better to take your time. Remember that Clearing lasts for more than a month, and keeping careful notes and recording who you speak to can save time in the long run.
note my bold!

They also have a search programme:

UCAS Clearing Search 2009

Thanks Uncle. razz:
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
Thanks guys. 

She is one grade short of Reading's requirements.  There may still be hope.  She too is doing English, or at least she will be if she gets in.  I think a few phone calls are in order. ::)

Hard Luck but look on the bright side:

Reading is not so great ~ she'd have Dippy as a neighbour for a start! tunble:

Time for a gap year and try again when the dust has settled I suggest ~ 40,000 would be students are NOT going to get in this year anyway. Maybe better to take a year out, get a job and resit to improve the grade ~ Now THAT would show commitment!

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
I just keep thinking that in a few short years I'll be in the same situation, but doubled when my two come to leave school for higher education.  eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Having taken the responsibility to get two boys through all this without using school we too are worried but strangely the boys are not. They have every confidence that cometh the hour etc.

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
I just keep thinking that in a few short years I'll be in the same situation, but doubled when my two come to leave school for higher education.  eeek:

happy100

J Basil Boothroyd

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »
IMHO she shouldn't necessarily be going to university.  She is bright intelligent and quite lovely, I'm biased I know, but she is not academic.  She is being railroaded into this course of action by her father and stepmother.  Stepmother rules the roost and think Stephanie Cole with serious attitude. She is seriously big and scary.  Magistrate, school gardening project, Guides and Scouts not to mention church .scared2:

Their father is not allowed to have Sky installed as he would watch sport! eeek:
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »
Time to exercise you maternal rights methinks!
They are:
(i) The right to interfere
(ii) The right to be right
(iii) The right to give advice
(iv) The right to speak your mind
(v) The right to tell your ex's newer wife to f*ck off as it is none of her business.

Go Girl GO!

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
I am flexing muscles as I type. eveilgrin:
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
Go MissC - The VP backup army is gathering in a small storm cloud near you as we speak  lol:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »
GOS is tuning up the band.