Author Topic: Chain mail  (Read 3571 times)

Offline barmisspah?

• Fool Member
    • Photobucket
Re: Chain mail
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »
My post code is Slough so we get lumbered with higher insurances etc, even though we live in a quietish village in between there and Uxbridge  cussing:
I couldn't ask for better friends. I could ask for more NORMAL friends, but not better ones.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
And you put up with this nonsense?

You all amaze me. Rhyl is the f*cking pits, it has the highest crime rate in North Wales. I live in a village outside of Rhyl but obviously have a Rhyl postcode, for reasons explained.

So I go to an independent broker who finds me the best insurance deals without reference to Postcodes because he knows the area and the insurance companies. I then compare what he finds for me with other quotes that I get from comparison websites (which all offer good value) and I take the best price I can find. 9 times out of 10 the independent broker with his local and business knowledge gets me a better deal. This year he saved me over £130 on house buildings and contents compared to SAGA, Churchill and others. My insurances for cars and house are all with L&V because they give an additional 10% discount for my membership of CSMA. They also give a no claims deal on the household insurance. They wouldn't suit everyone but I have no complaints. Postcode does not come into it. In fact they asked for that AFTER they gave me the quote.
My new (second hand but new to me) Landrover cost £189 fully comp with a protected no claims and only £50 excess. Madam's Corsa costs £174 fully comp with similar no claims protection etc House Buildings and contents including No claims protection, items outside of the home (to cover THW carrying an expensive Apple Lapbook and mobile everywhere) costs £195 pa

FFS you wouldn't buy a car without visiting several showrooms to find a deal would you? How many estate agents did you get details from before buying/renting a house? Insurance is a major purchase, treat it like one and shop around. If you think you are being penalised because of a postcode tell them so and if necessary get local crime stats from your local police. They will be only too happy to demonstrate what a wonderful job they are doing and take these figures to your broker and tell him to look again.

This lesson in life has been brought to you by Snoopy Retirement Inc. who learnt it all when his income went, on compulsory retirement, from £45k to £17k pa overnight
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:35:45 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »
Do they still sell that awful Ansells in Swindon?

Arkells or Ansells?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2009, 05:08:26 AM »
You are right TMR 'twas Arkells that they used to brew up there somewhere. Bloody awful beer. In my youth (newly wed with baby on't way) I got a second job working in the Oxford "Hotel" in Swindon (On Drove Road). Rotted a pair of shoes in two months did that stuff what with all the paddling around in spilt beer the cellar. The Landlord was ill (he died in the end) and never came down from his bedroom all the time I worked there. His wife (a dragon of a woman) employed me to do the lifting and cellar work as well as help out in the bar when it got busy (only ever when the 'Robins' were at home) but she would insist on trying to tap barrels herself during the day and spilt so much beer it was like a lake when I came in in the evenings.
Why I thought of Ansells I can't imagine ~ only excuse is that it was a long time ago. 1968/69 ~ before you were born I expect  ::)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2009, 11:22:37 AM »
You are right TMR 'twas Arkells that they used to brew up there somewhere. Bloody awful beer. In my youth (newly wed with baby on't way) I got a second job working in the Oxford "Hotel" in Swindon (On Drove Road). Rotted a pair of shoes in two months did that stuff what with all the paddling around in spilt beer the cellar. The Landlord was ill (he died in the end) and never came down from his bedroom all the time I worked there. His wife (a dragon of a woman) employed me to do the lifting and cellar work as well as help out in the bar when it got busy (only ever when the 'Robins' were at home) but she would insist on trying to tap barrels herself during the day and spilt so much beer it was like a lake when I came in in the evenings.
Why I thought of Ansells I can't imagine ~ only excuse is that it was a long time ago. 1968/69 ~ before you were born I expect  ::)

I was born. Just.

I was drinking Arkells 3B and have to say that I found it to be a nice pint - it's probably a result of 40 years of improvements.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »
Aye ~ that was the bugger of the stuff ~ always tasted ok but "gut rot" was its local name. Still the same brewery I see from their website. That in itself is some sort of achievement. I worked in a number of their pubs before we moved away from Swindon and went through several pairs of shoes. Never happened with any other brewery I worked for. noooo:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »
Right.  cussing: For the third day running the postie has got all our post mixed up DESPITE BEING TOLD. He is clearly an illiterate idiot  evil:

Yet again our neghours got our post including my train tickets and a cheque.

Tomorrow they emigrate to Canade leaving their house empty and locked  eeek:

I am making a notice to hang over their letter box to arrest the posty's attention (possibly with pictures or very simple words).

Any suggestions?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
FFS Phone the delivery office and speak to someone in charge.  Banghead

Offline Nick

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Good plan (except they are all planks)  noooo:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Move in next door and house sit for them until the new occupants arrive  shrugs:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
Notice should read "PLEASE DELIVER ALL POST AND PARCELS NEXT DOOR" and tape up the letter box.

Also ask neighbour for a spare key in case of floods/fire/vandalism. Tell them you want to still be a good neighbour.

Offline Nick

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
Her sister is doing the key/house sitting bit - but she is abroad till end of September. We have now agreed on letter box sealing and a note along the lines suggested below. When I went round they gave me a package which had just arrived as the postman retraced his steps. He is an utter utter numpty  cussing:. They were waiting for their passports to be returned. They were brought round last night by someone at the other end of the village  Banghead

Offline Nick

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »
Oh boy.

The postie has just turned up again (he is running 6 hours late on his round  noooo:)

He has found more mail.

We and the neighbours greet him outside the houses.

'This is for you' He hands me a letter for the neighbours. noooo:

'And this is for you' He gives them my mail.  noooo:

We e-x-p-l-a-i-n very slowly.

I point out that THEY (pointing) are emigrating tomorrow and that if he carries on delivering my mail to them I will not get it for months.

We watch him t-h-i-n-k-i-n-g. It is painful to behold.

He turns to me and suggests I get my mail redirected  confused2:

'Why?'

'So it all goes to Canada.'
 Banghead Banghead Banghead

'NO. THEY (POINTING) THEY ARE GOING TO CANADA. I AM STAYING HERE'  Banghead

The neighbours concur.

He ponders this slowly.

I am not confident  noooo:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »
Painful indeed  happy100

We seem to have kept the same postie for a few months now; I have high hopes now as he seems to be able to count numbers consecutively and in the right order. He's currently working on improving his hand / eye coordination to get the mail into the right box!

With a bit of luck and encouragement we should be able to get the morning delivery back to around 1:00pm come the autumn  lol:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
Where do they get these numpties?  noooo: