Disgusterous

Author Topic: How Green is Recycling?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
How Green is Recycling?
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »
We do not have wheelie bins. The lanes around here are too narrow for the large truck needed to empty them and most of the lanes have no pavements for us to block with our wheelies anyway.

Soooooooooooooo

We have a variety of transparent but differently coloured plastic bags. We are instructed that we should put paper and cardboard in a bag of a certain hue and place this outside of our property on "even" weeks. Another bag of variant colour is to hold plastics, Milk bottles, cream and yoghurt cartons, P.E.T. bottles, food containers etc. There is an instruction writ large upon the bag that all plastics MUST BE RINSED AND DRIED before being placed in the bag. This will be collected on "odd" weeks.

This morning, standing at the kitchen sink grumpily washing out a plastic 4pt milk bottle, four yoghurt pots and a cream tub prior to putting them in the appropriate bag the thought occurred that this a fvck of a lot of water being used. I suggested to the lady wife that perhaps we should wash them in the rain water butt as an economy measure. Having considered this suggestion for all of a nanosecond she replied "Would you like me to take the washing down to the river and beat your shirts on a rock as well?"

I took her point but I still say I am still paying to wash things that I want to throw away and frankly that p*sses me off somewhat.  cussing:

I then suggested that we might put such items in the dishwasher along with the breakfast crockery etc but she pointed out that they are not in fact dishwasher proof and will melt and fvck up the machine.

My last idea was that we ought to line them up in the toilet and instruct users to p*ss in them and then tip the result down the bog before flushing.
This too she vetoed for reasons not explained ..... Well TBH she just gave me a withering look.

I am now seeking some alternative. After all I have to pay for the water used. It is of drinking quality and we are told it is in short supply and should not be wasted. This cannot realistically be said to be saving the planet.

PS We also have yet another coloured bag for tins that also have to be rinsed clean before being put in it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:18:14 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: How Green is Recycling?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »
It's all bollocks
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
Wot he said... ^^^^
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »
I agree with you both but it doesn't mean that I am prepared to be fined any more than you are. So like it or not compliance is the order of the day for all of us but some protest is in order surely. Unfortunately in the UK we cannot just tip our dead goats over a cliff ~ we have to wash them and put them in the right coloured disposal bag.

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:59:19 AM »
And then pay for them to be taken, unsorted, to landfill  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »
And then pay for them to be taken, unsorted, to landfill in China noooo:

Fixed that for you...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline barmisspah?

• Fool Member
    • Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
As there are only two of us we do not need a dishwasher so we have a small washing up bowl, & after washing the dishes, we use the same water to clean the tins, bottles etc.

We have a black bin for general waste, a green one for kichen & garden waste,
a brown box for papers, a grey box for cans & a pink box for plastics.
The black & green bins are collected on alternate weeks. The boxes are collected  every so often (haven't yet workied out the format but it's only been in operation about 3 years so far). Since there are recycling bins just down the road, Saddler usually takes the newspapers, cans & bottles across there

I couldn't ask for better friends. I could ask for more NORMAL friends, but not better ones.

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
As there are only two of us we do not need a dishwasher so we have a small washing up bowl, & after washing the dishes, we use the same water to clean the tins, bottles etc.

The black & green bins are collected on alternate weeks. The boxes are collected  every so often (haven't yet workied out the format but it's only been in operation about 3 years so far). Since there are recycling bins just down the road, Saddler usually takes the newspapers, cans & bottles across there

from whence they are shipped to a hole in China  noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »

I am afraid there are five of us and that would be a lot of washing up.  noooo:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
I have 1 wheelie bin....and a green box.

The green box is never taken away so absolutely everything goes into the wheelie bin

Simples
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
Our 'recycling' is completely random

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:59 AM »
The same thought about water usage also crossed my mind while I was rinsing out pots and tins. The water's not metered so I muttered "sod it!" and carried on.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
I have a water meter ....but as there is only me and the Brat this works out quite well for us  whistle:

My monthly water bill is ?11 and I am in credit  whistle:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:51:29 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
People would (IMHO) be more willing to participate in recycling if the government introduced some practical laws to restrict waste...

I've ranted about the use of plastic milk cartons before... if more goods came in (easily recyclable) glass bottles instead of mixed plastic/cardboard shite that can never be recycled we'd be a lot better off...

Yesterday I bought some John West light lunch tuna snacks or some such... they come in a foil container with a foil lid in a cardboard sleeve with a little plastic fork in a cellophane bag FFS.

My last Braun 'lectric razor has a mahoosive plastic 'cleaning podule' which gets chucked away every month or so...

Every day we are surrounded by products which have unnecessary packaging or are designed specifically to force us to purchase (and discard) plastic consumable bits like inkjet printers...

Some action taken to actually reduce the waste that is delivered to our homes would be much better than forcing us all to clean it and sort it into different bins...

And that's the other thing - how many millions of tonnes of plastic have been turned into fecking wheelie bins? I drove though Chalvey the last time I was over and each household had about four different coloured wheelie bins... the street was awash with the bastard things...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
I have a water meter ....but a there is only me and the Brat this works out quite well for us  whistle:

My monthly water bill is ?11 and I am in credit  whistle:
We have a water meter... our last (quarterly) bill was ?75 but that includes topping the pool up...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: