Author Topic: Daytime guilt  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Daytime guilt
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »
I work from home. Sometimes I am frantically bizzy and stay up all night to meet deadlines. At other times I have fook all to do. Between 6 and 10 this morning I have communicated with various clients (one more to go) who all owe me things. I owe nothing except some invoices which I shall do shortly.

After that I can sit here and play about on the VP or just relax in the Rug Room and watch a  crap film. But Mrs Nick is slaving at werk and I feel oddly guilty about doing nothing. Oh yes, I will cook later, and sort out washing.

With werk in hand and werk invoiced for I have enough in the bank to not worry too much till about March 2011 about cashflow and by then something else will turn up. So, should I pretend to werk (pretend to myself that is) or just put my feet up?

I imagine many here (aside from our sadly unemployed brethren - to whom my apologies) may also feel odd about bunking off. What do you do?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: Daytime guilt
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
The problem with being in full time employment is not being able to get all the household chores done, everything either has to be packed in the weekend or a day's holiday taken. Example, the boiler is due it's annual service but I haven't been able to take a day off.

Count yourself lucky.

You could always take up a hobby. Cake making and model railways comes to mind.  ;)

Offline Nick

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »
I do no chores till about 4 then it's all systems go. But you are right about routine werkmen and stuff. That is easy.

Oh and
 cussing:

I may go to Ainsdale and take photographs!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
As you know I pretend to work by being involved in a number of local committees.
Apart from editing and publishing the village magazine (5 days work every other month) I also sit on a couple of fund raising committees, for both I act as Secretary as I am available during the day and have 'pooter etc. I get paid expenses and that takes care of my telephone bills (including broadband). The magazine pays for my 'pooters and printers, ink, paper and stamps etc. I am a Trustee of the charity that runs the village hall and also act as the Board of Trustees Secretary and Treasurer which means one day a month I do their invoices (to people who rent the rooms at the hall for various functions), the banking, pay any bills that come in and keep the books.
I do a little writing and a lot of family history research. I occasionally speak at various venues on the subjects that interest me. The likes of the WI, the Round Table, The RAOB, etc all pay expenses (I charge a flat £25 for 40 minutes and usually get a free lunch or supper)
What with that and my share of the Home Education of the Boys plus playing in here life is pretty full. I sometimes wonder how I found time to go out to work. Seriously I do all this to fill my time as I hated being forced out of work and into an early retirement. The choice was replace work with something else or sit in the chair and wait to die.

A quick edit to add ~ I do see Uncle's problem and that is one big advantage to the whole family and probably my biggest contribution in that I am here to deal with all manner of things that otherwise would have to be crammed into weekends (which nobody wants to do)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:48:56 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »
OK. I argued with myself and lost.

Crap film.

I now await the crap film watched in the daytime police  scared2:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »
You could spend the afternoon making a home made anniversary card  whistle:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
I succumbed and did online Interflora  evil:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »

Good Man   cloud9:

Skubber

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
The problem with being in full time employment is not being able to get all the household chores done, everything either has to be packed in the weekend or a day's holiday taken. Example, the boiler is due it's annual service but I haven't been able to take a day off.

Count yourself lucky.

You could always take up a hobby. Cake making and model railways comes to mind.  ;)

That always used to be a major bug bear - having to take a day's leave to wait for service men ( or women )  or deliveries to fail to turn up.

Having worked 'flexibly' now for over 2 years it is a gosdend. One day a week working from home allows you to do all these little things.

Of course it does depend on you having a frickin internet connection that works  Banghead
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
And a willing and flexible Sven  eyes:

Anyhoo. Past noon so -Thunderball  eveilgrin:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
Would that reduce your daytime guilt then Nick - a flexible friend to play with  whistle:
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »
Sylvia the MILF  eyes:  cloud9:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 12:20:06 PM »
I imagine many here (aside from our sadly unemployed brethren - to whom my apologies) may also feel odd about bunking off. What do you do?

In a word, yes. There is ALWAYS something that's needs doing.  Shrugs:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »
It's about priorities....if you decide to be good to yourself today then bunk off and enjoy....if you decide to be good to others then knuckle down and start working

Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »

In a word, yes. There is ALWAYS something that's needs doing.  Shrugs:

Quite. But some things can wait  eveilgrin: