Disgusterous

Author Topic: The all new utter shite DVD and Book review thread.  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
The all new utter shite DVD and Book review thread.
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
Well as we already have a thread for films and books we would recommend I thought it was time to have one for the absolute garbage that we wouldnt want to inflict on someone we couldnt stand.

To kick the thread off we have Far Cry, a Uwe Boll film based upon the Ubisoft game. Now as Rare can attest its safe to say that I have a low opinion of this guy's films to date. All of them have been bloody awful game conversions, the first one, House of the Dead, even included footage from the arcade game in order to save money but anyway, on with Far Cry.

The plot is standard B movie wannabe fare, Jack Carver, a former member of the German Special Forces takes the journalist Valerie Cardinal to an island to visit her uncle Max who is working in a military complex on the island. As they arrive Valerie gets captured by the minions of Doctor Krieger. Jack does not care about her until his boat explodes. After the destruction of his boat Jack finds out about the true purpose of the facilities on the island, which is the creation of genetically modified soldiers.

Now to be fair, if I hadn't played the game I would have just considered it standard Sky3 late night naff film fare but with the degree he butchered the plot he may as well have just changed the character names and renamed the film 'The Island of Doctor Moronic'. From small things like why change the nationality of the lead character, after all Jack Carver sounds like such a German name. and compared to the original scientist plotline 'Uncle Max' is utterly bland. And what the hell was Boll smoking when he decided it would be a good idea to have a lard arsed 'food delivery guy' added to the plot as one of the heroes. The game plotline had the potential to make a decent film but all this hatchet job has accomplished is a late night waste of time. Now call me a picky bugger but surely if you make a film based upon a book or a game then you try and make it as close to the plot as you can.

Boll you utter, utter, utter, utter, utter talentless arsehole, I am now off to find that online petiton to stop him ever making another film.  cussing:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Rarelady

Re: The all new utter shite DVD and Book review thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
Can we include movies that are bad but are a guilty pleasure for the watcher?

e.g. The Transporter movies and Crank - 1 and 2?

If you havent watched - go watch. They arent good but they certainly have their moments!  ;D

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
To be honest compared to the utter shite that Boll manages to create those films are works of art but if you want to include them go ahead.  lol:

I'm still trying to decide which thread Dead Snow is supposed to go into.  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Rarelady

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:28:33 AM »
The film that prompted the message >> eeeeeeeew, the amputation scene just had me in hysterics lol <<

That definitely deserves a full write up in this thread!  lol:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:52:07 AM »
I'm not so sure, it struck me in a similar way the original Evil Dead film did. Good because it was so naff.  lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
Little Voice  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:13:23 AM »
28 Days Later
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Little Voice  noooo:

Why?  I thought it excellent.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »
Little Voice  noooo:

Why?  I thought it excellent.
Utter, utter shiteness of the highest order IMHO...  noooo:

Were you pissed when you watched it?  whistle:

Michael Caine, shame on you sir...  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Thank you for that well reasoned dissertation on the film. I can now see that my appreciation of the fine acting from Janes Horrocks and Brenda Blethyn defining the disfunctional mother/daughter relationship, the well observed portrayal of the seedy talent scout by Caine, the story line of a very shy young woman who has an extraordinary talent and is used by others for their own benefit, even the tentative love story between McGregor's charactor and Little Voice are totally misguided.

I shall burn my copy forthwith.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:52:05 AM »

Thank you for that well reasoned dissertation on the film. I can now see that my appreciation of the fine acting from Janes Horrocks and Brenda Blethyn defining the disfunctional mother/daughter relationship, the well observed portrayal of the seedy talent scout by Caine, the story line of a very shy young woman who has an extraordinary talent and is used by others for their own benefit, even the tentative love story between McGregor's charactor and Little Voice are totally misguided.

You tell him UM.

I thought it a good film as well, although not for all those erudite reasons.

It had a beginning, middle and end with good acting throughout.  happy088

It's probably not out on blue ray yet.  ::)
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »

Don't burn it Uncle... you can use it as a beer mat or something...  lol:

Nice review BTW...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 10:01:33 AM »
 redface:

sorry, a little OTT.

My worse film: David Lynch's "Dune"

Such a terrible visualisation of one of the best SF books ever written. Poorly cast (think Sting!) badly directed. Get Peter Jackson to do it again.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
I suspect BM saw a dodgy copy of Little Voice he got from Spiros the Spiv. The giveaway being Caine turning to Horrocks after one of her performances & saying...

wait for it.....

"You were only supposed to blow their bloody socks off". whistle:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
 happy001

That line from The Italian Job will haunt his career for ever.