Author Topic: Religious ceremonies  (Read 975 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Religious ceremonies
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
I am an atheist, militantly  eveilgrin:

Mrs Nick is a Catholic. She has brought the Boy up Catholic* but he is not fooled and will rebel shortly. I keep my counsel. For now.

The Skool (very trad) has invited us to a religious service to mark the commencement of The Boy and all the other Boys proper edukashun. Skool Chapel and everything.

I don't want to go.

Should I, or not?

*I refused to attend his First Communion (big thing I gather) age 7 as I said he was too young to understand what he was doing
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:03:11 PM by Nick »
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Religious ceremonies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
That depends on why you don't want to go.

I have never attended any school play, nativity, concert, choir recital or any other event. I have attended a very few "open evenings" but both wives have preferred my absence to my company on such occasions as they both say I am "argumentative and aggressive" to the teachers. I say I am only seeking truthful answers to my concerns.
The reason I do not attend any other events at schools is that I found them acutely embarrassing as a child and still find watching children reluctantly performing embarrassing. My heart goes out to the kids and I want to shout "STOP" and take my children home. Both boys agree that they hated the whole performance thing and confess that they felt threatened by teachers when they tried to protest that they didn't want to take part.

If you feel that going would compromise your convictions and if your convictions are so anti religion that you think it worth taking a stance that we all know will not sit well with Mrs Nick then don't go. If on the other hand you can suffer in silence because The Boy wants you to be there then I think you should go. Attendance at a ritual does not bind you to the religion involved. I have attended Hindu weddings but that doesn't mean I am now a Hindu. I do believe they have a right to hold such beliefs as they wish.

I personally believe in God but I have a strong dislike of organised religion which is, I feel, responsible for more trouble in this world than any other single factor. That does not stop me going to Harvest Festival if my kids want me there. It did not stop me "giving away" my daughter at her church wedding because it was what she wanted me to do (that and pay for the bloody thing)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
Not IMHO but explain to boy why you are not attending
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
Of course you should go. You are his protector and need to be conversant with all the techniques they try to influence him with.

The last religious event I went to was a Jewish funeral just north of London; fascinating... quite moving, some bits barking but fascinating nonetheless.
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »
Of course you should go. You are his protector and need to be conversant with all the techniques they try to influence him with.

Having recently had the pleasant experience of someone using the death of a close friend to try and get me to go back to church I couldnt agree more. 
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:00:57 PM »

Having recently had the pleasant experience of someone using the death of a close friend to try and get me to go back to church I couldnt agree more. 

I should have been a lawyer. In fact I nearly went down that road but my imagination got the better of me  angel1

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »

I should have been a lawyer. In fact I nearly went down that road but my imagination got the better of me  angel1

If I hadn't been able to keep my temper in check I would have needed one.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:47:04 AM »
If you go then do it for The Boy's sake and to be there for one of his 'big' days at school.

Tune out all the religious mumbo jumbo and focus on him - I am sure he will appreciate you being there, despite the circumstances
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:53:03 AM »
If you go then do it for The Boy's sake and to be there for one of his 'big' days at school.

Tune out all the religious mumbo jumbo and focus on him - I am sure he will appreciate you being there, despite the circumstances

I tend to agree with Miss D here.

This should not really be about expressing your stance on religion, which I am sure is well known, it is about demonstrating paternal support and not making the Boy appear 'different'.

You should go.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »

You decided you would rather have friends than money eh?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
 drumroll:

Yes

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 09:26:32 AM »
The school you chose for the Boy has a chapel. Did it not cross your mind that religion may just get more than a passing nod from them?

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
It's a 400 year old school. I think they have had the chapel for some time

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 09:36:34 AM »
Still, traditional school, chapel, 400 years old. It's more likely to be "Goodbye Mr. Chips" than "The Blackboard Jungle"

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
Oh yes  eveilgrin:

He forgot his PE socks the other day. 20 press ups as punishment  eveilgrin:

He won't do that again