Author Topic: Should you pay for museums  (Read 339 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Should you pay for museums
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:21:56 AM »
London Mayor Boris Johnson wants Britain's free museums to copy New York and put more pressure on visitors to make donations.

With money increasingly tight in the recession, how far should British museums go to win donations from the culture vultures?

New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art has little time for visitors who want to see its treasures for nothing.

When queuing for an admissions ticket, art lovers are met by signs which not only say that donations are expected, but also make clear what the minimum contribution should be. While it is possible to take the walk of shame into the museum without paying, few people have the nerve

Yet again let's be like Little America  as they have all the answers  ::)

I think it is reasonable to make a small charge but if this then becomes too restrictive to access  any of the museums and galleries it then becomes even more of an elitist experience

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:25:48 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Should you pay for museums
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »
They charge to go into Cathedrals nowadays.

I personally refuse to pay to enter any CoE Cathedral on the grounds that "I am a life member" and have told various clergy at entrance points this over the years.

I would be happy to pay if I wanted to visit a house of worship where I was not a member (RC Cathedral or a Synagogue for example) as I would be going in as a tourist.

Having to pay to go into a museum or art gallery on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. We have already paid for these places and the exhibits therein. Privately owned collections I am happy to pay for as I pay to visit museums and art collections when I am abroad but I would object to being charged to view items that this nation has paid for over the years. All such places have been handsomely endowed by their founders but I just don't see picking up the tab for years of mismanagement of the original funds.

Sorry Boris but on this one we must agree to differ.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Should you pay for museums
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »
Wot he said
I mostly despair