Author Topic: Red Letter Days for VP'ers  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Red Letter Days for VP'ers
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »
You know the sort of thing - a day out 'experience '  where you force someone to ride in a hot air ballon, drive a rally car nearly at the speed limit etc because you can't think of anything else to buy them.

Well it is time to find a suitable event / activity for each of our VP'er's .

I will start the ball rolling and have one for GM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/6272255/Comic-Con-grown-up-geeks-meet-at-female-superheroes-convention.html

Comic-Con: grown-up geeks meet at female superheroes convention
Every year hundreds of women descend on a hall in California to dress up as their favourite comic-book characters

Skubber

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: Red Letter Days for VP'ers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
For DS

http://livingwithgoats.com/wordpress/?p=115

Turnip Tasting
September 12th, 2009Goto commentsLeave a comment

I?ve loved pickled turnips since the first time I tasted them, tucked into the pita of a falafel sandwich when I was about twelve years old, at a Lebanese restaurant owned by a friend of my mother in Wichita, Kansas. There, the pungent pink strips of turnip sat in a big crock on the counter, between jars of preserved lemons, myriad olives, and tiny eggplants stuffed with walnuts and garlic and packed in olive oil. To my pre-teen self, they were a revelation: With a tart crunch, the turnip cut through the heaviness of the falafel, balancing the oil with each briny bite.

With our bumper crop of turnips, I thought I?d try a little Proustian experiment. First, I chose two recipes from sources I trust. One, from Gil Marks? excellent kosher vegetarian cookbook, Olive Trees and Honey, is called Turshi Left, and gets its tang from a brine of distilled vinegar and kosher salt. The other, from Lucy Norris?s wonderfully eclectic preserving book, Pickled, is Kalustyan?s Lift. This recipe has a little lemon juice in the brine, but gets most of its zip from fermentation hastened by the addition of a cube of French bread. I was devoted to Kalustyan?s turnip pickles when we lived in New York, but Gil Marks has never led me astray, so I held a taste test.

The result was two very different pickles. To my palate, Gil Marks? are tangy, complex (I threw in all the optional spices), and crisp. A splash of olive oil on the top means that each pickle is lightly coated as it?s pulled out. We?ve already eaten these addictive pickles on sandwiches, with duck liver pate, and with forks, straight from the jar.  In contrast, the Kalustyan pickle has a heavier brine (maybe I was too lavish with the salt) and the result is something like an olive with a turnip flavor and texture. We haven?t tried these pickles on a sandwich yet, but they are heaven in a martini! Below are recipes for both pickles, and for Ten Apple?s new signature drink: The Dirty Turnip.

Gil Marks? Middle Eastern Pickled Turnips?Turshi Left

About 2 quarts

2 pounds (about 6 small) white turnips, peeled and sliced
1 small beet, peeled and sliced
3-5 cloves garlic, halved
3/4 teaspon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons fresh celery leaves

Brine:
3 cups water
1 cup distilled white, cider, or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon olive oil

In a sterilized 2-quart jar, combined the turnips, beets, garlic, and ginger, chili and celery leaves.

To make the brine: In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and stir with a wooden spoon until the salt is dissolved, about 4 minutes.

Pour the hot brine over the turnips to cover. If desired, drizzle the oil over the top to seal, keeping out unwanted bacteria. Let cool, then tightly cover. Let stand in a cool, dark place for at least 3 and up to 10 days. The vegetables will develop a mellower, tangy flavor, but will still be rather crisp. The longer the vegetables are left at room temperature, the softer they will become. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the pickles from the jar.

?from Olive Trees and Honey, by Gil Marks

Lucy Norris?s (Kalustyan?s) Lift

Makes 1 quart

2 cups water
6 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or pickling)
1 small cube French bread or other yeast bread
5 to 6 medium turnips, about 4 pounds, washed, peeled, and cut into 1/8-inch pieces
4 small red beets, left whole, for color
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or cider vinegar

Sterilize the jar and lid. Mix together the water and salt in a nonreactive bowl to make a brine.

Place the bread in the quart-size jar, and then pack in the turnips and beets. Pour in the brine to cover, but leave at least 2 inches free at the top of the jar. Add the lemon juice to taste and tightly screw on the lid.

In the summer, place the jar outside in a sunny place for 1 week. In colder months, store it close to the heater or oven for 2 weeks. The turnips are ready to eat when they are beet colored throughout and no longer have a raw flavor.

Refrigerated, they will last up to 6 months.

?from Pickled, by Lucy Norris

Ten Apple Farm?s Dirty Turnip

12 parts dry gin
1 part dry vermouth
1 part turnip pickling brine
turnip pickles

Combine gin, vermouth, and pickling brine in a pitcher or cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Stir well and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a couple of slivers of pickled turnip.

Turnip Tasting

I?ve loved pickled turnips since the first time I tasted them, tucked into the pita of a falafel sandwich when I was about twelve years old, at a Lebanese restaurant owned by a friend of my mother in Wichita, Kansas. There, the pungent pink strips of turnip sat in a big crock on the counter, between jars of preserved lemons, myriad olives, and tiny eggplants stuffed with walnuts and garlic and packed in olive oil. To my pre-teen self, they were a revelation: With a tart crunch, the turnip cut through the heaviness of the falafel, balancing the oil with each briny bite.

With our bumper crop of turnips, I thought I?d try a little Proustian experiment. First, I chose two recipes from sources I trust. One, from Gil Marks? excellent kosher vegetarian cookbook, Olive Trees and Honey, is called Turshi Left, and gets its tang from a brine of distilled vinegar and kosher salt. The other, from Lucy Norris?s wonderfully eclectic preserving book, Pickled, is Kalustyan?s Lift. This recipe has a little lemon juice in the brine, but gets most of its zip from fermentation hastened by the addition of a cube of French bread. I was devoted to Kalustyan?s turnip pickles when we lived in New York, but Gil Marks has never led me astray, so I held a taste test.

The result was two very different pickles. To my palate, Gil Marks? are tangy, complex (I threw in all the optional spices), and crisp. A splash of olive oil on the top means that each pickle is lightly coated as it?s pulled out. We?ve already eaten these addictive pickles on sandwiches, with duck liver pate, and with forks, straight from the jar.  In contrast, the Kalustyan pickle has a heavier brine (maybe I was too lavish with the salt) and the result is something like an olive with a turnip flavor and texture. We haven?t tried these pickles on a sandwich yet, but they are heaven in a martini! Below are recipes for both pickles, and for Ten Apple?s new signature drink: The Dirty Turnip.

About 2 quarts

Brine:
3 cups water

1/2 teaspoon olive oil

In a sterilized 2-quart jar, combined the turnips, beets, garlic, and ginger, chili and celery leaves.

To make the brine: In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and stir with a wooden spoon until the salt is dissolved, about 4 minutes.

Pour the hot brine over the turnips to cover. If desired, drizzle the oil over the top to seal, keeping out unwanted bacteria. Let cool, then tightly cover. Let stand in a cool, dark place for at least 3 and up to 10 days. The vegetables will develop a mellower, tangy flavor, but will still be rather crisp. The longer the vegetables are left at room temperature, the softer they will become. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the pickles from the jar.

Makes 1 quart

2 cups water
5 to 6 medium turnips, about 4 pounds, washed, peeled, and cut into 1/8-inch pieces

Sterilize the jar and lid. Mix together the water and salt in a nonreactive bowl to make a brine.

Place the bread in the quart-size jar, and then pack in the turnips and beets. Pour in the brine to cover, but leave at least 2 inches free at the top of the jar. Add the lemon juice to taste and tightly screw on the lid.

In the summer, place the jar outside in a sunny place for 1 week. In colder months, store it close to the heater or oven for 2 weeks. The turnips are ready to eat when they are beet colored throughout and no longer have a raw flavor.

12 parts dry gin
1 part dry vermouth
turnip pickles

Combine gin, vermouth, and pickling brine in a pitcher or cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Stir well and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a couple of slivers of pickled turnip.

Turnip Tasting

About 2 quarts

Brine:
3 cups water

1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Makes 1 quart

2 cups water

12 parts dry gin
1 part dry vermouth
turnip pickles

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:50:09 AM by Miss Creant »
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:17:20 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »
Better?

http://www.buzabunch.com/bucket_making_at_tillers.htm
Not much, no...  noooo:

I am already skilled in the art of bucket making...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »
For Snoops

J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
My brother Spike lives near there ~ He sent me this picture.

And this is the whole family ~ we had a get together at The Daisy Hill Puppy Farm last year.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:10:50 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »
One for Miss C

One Day Advanced Wine Course  ;)

Perfect for any budding enthusiasts who want to build on what they've already learnt.
Skubber

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
One for Miss C

One Day Advanced Wine Course  ;)

Perfect for any budding enthusiasts who want to build on what they've already learnt.
cloud9:

Thank you Miss D. Not sure I would count I was de-budded a long long time ago, maybe I could be a teacher though. rubschin:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:00:26 PM by Miss Creant »
J Basil Boothroyd

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »
The Beer Academy

http://www.beeracademy.co.uk/

The Course will cover:
- Beer Styles
What are they What makes them different
- How to taste beer
Tutored tasting Using the senses Beer flavours
- Matching Beer with Food
Some guidelines Cut, contrast and complement Beer with food menus Practical examples
- Presentation
Temperature Glassware Theatre of pour Staff training
- Beer and lifestyle

Fee: ?75 + VAT per person (discounts may apply for group bookings)

Beer Academy Gift Vouchers are NOW available
An ideal present for the 'Beer Lover' in your life, or an insight for the lover to appreciate the Beer in your life? Our Gift Vouchers can be used at any of our UK Courses Venues, from Edinburgh to Brighton. To purchase a Gift Voucher or to reserve a place on a course please download an application form below and return to.

Email: dan.cannas@beeracademy.co.uk
Post: The Beer Academy, 33 Clarges Street, London, W1J 7EE
Fax: +44 (0) 207 499 1156
To register your interest in attending this course please download a form below.

Download:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:06:44 PM by Miss Creant »
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
 cussing: I know how to make beer! I know how to drink beer! What I now need is the money to indulge myself!

£75 + VAT ~ are you mad. That's 30 pints of beer.