Author Topic: The psychology of avatars  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
The psychology of avatars
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
So what does your choice of avatar say about you ????

Animal Avatars
Animals symbolize certain traits or attributes in myth as well as popular culture (e.g., strength, loyalty, grace, independence, cunning, transcendence), the animal chosen for an avatar probably bears psychological significance to the person - perhaps representing some real aspect of his or her identity, or some characteristic admired by the person. Thinking in the tradition of the Native American, we might even regard an animal avatar as being an individuals "totem" - i.e., a symbol of one's essential nature or potential.

Cartoon Avatars

While younger users  may be more inclined to don cartoon costumes, older members frequently use them as well. The psychological significance of the cartoon character probably affects the choice made by the user. People select characters with whom they identify or admire. Some cartoon characters have very specific cultural significance and may even represent archetypal personality types (e.g., Bugs Bunny as the confident trickster; Aladdin's genie as the powerful but benevolent friend). Rather than relying on childhood cartoon figures, some adults wear cartoon avs of a more sophisticated style - some of these classified as "anime." The psychological tone of these avs tend to be more seductive, whimsical, or mysterious.

Celebrity Avatars

Celebrity avatars tend to follow trends in popular culture. And like items in popular culture, they may quickly become epidemic and then disappear. There may be a variety of motives behind the use of these avs. People may use them to express personality traits or social issues that are associated with the celebrity's image (sensuality, intelligence, power, corruption, rebellion, etc.). The user may identify with, desire, or be poking fun at these attributes. They may hope to bolster their self-esteem and identity by establishing their connection to the celebrity. They may simply wish to display a knowledge of current events in pop culture. Celebrity avs also advertise one's specific interests in entertainment in order to find like-minded users: "Hey, I like Seinfeld! Anyone else out there like Seinfeld?"

Evil Avatars

Everyone has a dark or "evil" side to his or her personality. The definition of "evil" varies from person to person, although usually it has something to do with malicious, aggressive fantasies and/or feelings of guilt.  As a form of sublimation, evil costumes allow people to safely - and even creatively - express their dark side. , or kill you. Some people may use evil or aggressive avatars as a way (consciously or unconsciously) to alienate or "put off" other people. This might indicate their anxiety about intimacy and being vulnerable.

Real Face Avatars

Most users do not use pictures of themselves as their primary avatars. People prefer the partial anonymity of expressing only limited aspects of their personality through imaginative props. Or they simply enjoy the creative fun of experimenting with new identities through their avs. In more rare cases, members find the use of real face avs to be an uncomfortable, dissociative experience. 

When users do present pictures of their real faces, it may be a gesture of honesty and/or intimacy - a sign of friendship, or even romance. 

Idiosyncratic Avatars

These avatars become strongly associated with a specific member - almost as if it is that person's trademark. In some cases the avatar may be highly unusual or creative. Sometimes it is quite simple. Yet its association to the particular user is so strong that others experience it uniquely as that person. While trading props is a common practice, the owner of an idiosyncratic av rarely gives it away. It would be like giving one's identity to someone else to use. Conscientious members also don't "steal" (i.e., screen capture) an idiosyncratic av and use it as their own. They respect its integrity. If someone does steal and attempts o wear an idio av, they must be willing to put up with criticism by the friends of the owner.

Seductive Avatars
Some users create avatars of partially naked or scantily clothed figures. Female seductive avatars tend to be more common than male - although these female avs sometimes are "manned" by male users (see "Male Gender-Switching in Cyberspace") . In fact, the general impression among members is that males are more likely to prop up as females, especially seductive females, than women dressing up as males.

Members usually wear seductive avs to draw attention to themselves. This works very well. Male users, especially guests, quickly flock to a sexy female form. The owner may be interested in harmless flirting bu being sexy not only gets you attention it also gives you power and control over others.

Some people wearing seductive avs wish to be admired as an attractive, sexy individual, without necessarily being interested in flirting or cybersex.

Other Avatars

Whenever we social scientists go about categorizing things, we always end up with a miscellaneous or "other" category. There is such a wide variety of avatars that it's impossible to neatly classify them all. The same is true of personality styles (which is the origin of the prop). Here let me briefly mention just a few other types of avatars.

Odd/shocking avatars are unusual, strange, and sometimes downright bizarre pictures - perhaps revealing people who like to surprise, goof on, or even startle and outrage others. Truly bizarre pictures might make you wonder about the person's grasp of social appropriateness, or even their mental health. Such very unusual avs are most popular among adolescents - for whom extreme behavior is a way to express independence and individuality, and to test the limits.

Abstract avatars may be used by people who enjoy enjoy symmetry, are good (non-verbal) conceptual thinkers, and/or are inclined towards visual artistic endeavors.

Billboard avatars are announcements of some sort - political, philosophical, personal. They are used by those who have something to say and are not reluctant to display their thoughts in a commercialized type format.

Lifestyle avatars, which are quite common and varied, depict some significant aspect of a person's life - usually something to do with occupation, hobby, or personal habit. It may be a way to attract like-minded individuals.

Matching avatars are designed to accompany each other and indicate the connection or bonding between the pair of members. Considerable imaginative and technical skills may go into creating such avatars.

Animated avatars contain motion, such as an eye tearing, a bird flying, or a flag waving. By visually diplaying "behavior" they can express a wide and subtle range of psychological meaning. Tapping a finger, blinking one's eyes, banging one's head against the wall - there are infinite expressive possibilties. The motion usually is cyclical and repetitious, which - depending on the type of avatar - may convey a feeling of persistance, determination, mindlessness, or rhythmic peacefulness.

rubschin:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The psychology of avatars
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »
I thought mine was funny...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:56:21 PM »
I think you would be defined as having adolescent tendancies  whistle:
Skubber

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »
I think you would be defined as having adolescent tendancies  whistle:
cloud9:

I mean  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »
I think I'm in the  rubschin: category.  rubschin:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
I think I'm in the  rubschin: category.  rubschin:
I think you have an inner desire to move abroad - your avatar is looking out to sea - you just haven't managed to put your plans into place yet...

Just my
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »
I did a registry clean today and now all the avatars are too big Shrugs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
I did a registry clean today and now all the avatars are too big Shrugs:

I mostly despair

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
Sussed it...Now viewing in compatibility mode, although avatars start off too big momentarily, they quickly revert to normal size.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 07:31:48 AM »
We have done this before  evil:
THEREFORE
I have no need to explain myself.

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
 scared2:

Yes master  surrender:

Rearrange the following - new dog old tricks
Skubber

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:45 AM »