Disgusterous

Author Topic: Charity begins at...  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Charity begins at...
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
... well not the freaking charity shop that's for sure!  cussing:

We are clearing out my parent's house in Windsor and have a lifetimes (several lifetimes) worth of stuff to dispose of.

We already threw away the shite (boxes of half finished wallpaper, etc.) last trip so now we are disposing of the stuff they used util they died, furniture, glasses, TVs, etc.

We thought we'd donate it all to Cancer research and the hospice shop as they both had cancer... Surely they'd be thrilled with boxes of clean, easily saleable household stuff....?

Chrisus, you'd think I was asking them to take away my excrement!  Banghead

Can't take electricals, can't take furniture without a fire safety tag, too old, too big, blah, blah, blah! Utter bastards!

Bollocks to them than!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: Charity begins at...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
 happy100  Not a lot of help I know but prolly the best I can do.  Have been doing a bit of this myself recently I found that the best option is a car boot sale if you can bear it, you would be surprised at what people will buy. noooo:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
Wenchy doesn't live far  whistle:
Skubber

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
When my in-laws died we hired a skip for furniture etc. Knew that charity shops won't take a lot of stuff these due to the safety rules.
Books and video/dvd went to charity shop, neighbour took care of this as she worked there. Took about a week to sort out. Twas a council house so we had a deadline to keep to.
I have a shed that is now full to the rafters with inherited tools. Wouldn't be so bad but I have no idea what some of them are for.
We also have boxes and boxes of photos etc.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13:59 PM »
Everybody: Please label your photographs. Write on the back, in pencil, who the picture is of, where it was taken and when it was taken. Family researchers like me are forever struggling with old photos that are now meaningless because nobody bothered to do this.

As for charity shops, I am halfway convinced that the only reason they exist is to keep the name of the charity on view so that people will leave them money in their wills. About the only things my local charity shop will take are clothes and books ~ oh and any amount of old china, which they keep in a back room until the local "dealers" have had their pick of it.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:22 PM »
Totally agree with the bit about piccies.

We have loads that we cannot identify and we are running out of people who might be able to help us.
Since my mum died last year, my dad has been going through the photos for me.

When somebody died my mum would not allow anybody to see the photos of them, so there is an awful lot I am now finding out. Some of them I can remember, others are completely unknown even though they are relatives.

RTFM

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
happy100  Not a lot of help I know but prolly the best I can do.  Have been doing a bit of this myself recently I found that the best option is a car boot sale if you can bear it, you would be surprised at what people will buy. noooo:
I really don't have the time or transport facilities for the car boot route...  noooo:

Also, to be honest I'm not sure I want to argue the value of Mum's favourite chair with some scruffy, state leeching mong....  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Most car boot buyers are people like us or "dealers".
Your best bet is a house clearance company.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »
Most car boot buyers are people like us or "dealers".
Your best bet is a house clearance company.
They wanted to charge us ?500 for the privilege SNoops...

Fuck right off was our response....  noooo:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »
First thing I did when I started was to throw away their ridiculously large collection of hoover bags (see also dishwasher tablets)....

Now of course both hoovers are full of shite and the local shop doesn't sell replacements...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »
Well, much as it grieves me to say it, a skip would be the cheapest bet. No charity shop will take second hand electrical goods without a new PAT test certificate for each item and furniture must have a fire label sewn into a seam or the law says they may not take it. Try the Sally Army or Social Services who sometimes have families they are rehousing who are in need of furniture. They tend not to be so choosy and the rules don't apply as no money changes hands but a trip to the tip is often the sad but inevitable solution nowadays. Things have changed a lot in a few years haven't they? Unless items are genuinely antique it seems nobody wants them any more. Pointless trying an ad in the local paper as the buyer, if you get one, will want you to deliver and they will argue about the price which I often think is worse than simply throwing it all away. I know it meant a lot to your Mum and Dad and thus to you but nobody else is interested. I had the same problem when My Mum died.

Oh and the hoover bags were obviously going to catch you out.  ;D

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »

Oh and the hoover bags were obviously going to catch you out.  ;D

Indeed....  evil:

See also, giving away a complete cellar full of tools and being unable to find a screwdriver to change the fuse on the hoover... or should I say Hoover as it is actually made by them....  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »
There are very few machines that you can't get a bag for. Try http://www.dustbag.co.uk/?gclid=CJXR8umcyZ0CFUtp4wodBnx8sQ

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
There are very few machines that you can't get a bag for. Try http://www.dustbag.co.uk/?gclid=CJXR8umcyZ0CFUtp4wodBnx8sQ

I know... I just needed one like NOW and Windsor is rather limited on shops... unless you are looking to eat or have your hair done...  noooo:

In the good old days you would have gone to Woolies...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
So anyway...

I met a guy at the hospice shop yesterday and he agreed to take some stuff that they refused... 'never mind, just pop it in my car'...

I got his number and he agreed to turn up today and collect a load more... he sells it at the old car boot to boost his pension a bit.

He turns up today and he only has one leg! doh:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: