Author Topic: UKIP?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
UKIP?
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »
The more I read on message boards and blogs the more depressed I get.....  noooo:

The country is undoubtedly absolutely fucked.

Labour will lose the next election.

Conservatives will win the next election.

Nothing will change.

I wonder if the only way forward is to vote UKIP? They are a one-trick pony, committed to leaving the EU which is exactly what we need to do. WHo cares if they fall apart after their stated aim is acheived (or at least EU memberships is debated or voted on by the British public).

A party with no policies other than leaving the EU would be better IMHO than parties with policies-a-plenty, mostly aimed at curbing liberties and fleecing the taxpayer to line their own pockets.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: UKIP?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
I still favour a velvet revolution and a benevolent dictatorship.

If all existing politicians would just stand against this wall...

Simples.  ;D
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »
Darwin for PM?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »

President for life I thought..

I have a vacancy for a Court Jester if you are interested.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »

President for life I thought..

I have a vacancy for a Court Jester if you are interested.
Oh yes...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
If the entire country was to vote UKIP it would certainly put a large dent in Bliars plans for european domination. Perhaps that is the only message they need to have on their party political broadcasts. A shot of his grinning mug with slotgob stood beside him and a slogan along the lines of 'After the cock up they made over here, oo you want them running Europe' could have voters flocking to the polling booths next year.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
I'm increasingly convinced that UKIP is the only way forward...

The conservatives have no interest in giving us the option of leaving the EU.

TMR and I met Nigel Farage briefly in the pub yesterday and had a pint with him... apart from the rictus grin in the pictures we had taken with him he seems a thoroughly nice bloke.  happy088

UKIP will get my vote.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:53:55 AM »
That depends on if they are still around.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »
Over the years I have met and talked with (or listened to) many politicians, of every hue, and they have all been extremely plausible and pleasant people.

Frankly they have to be to get elected ~ What is it they say? Politics is show business for ugly people. Like most show business types politicians succeed only by being all things to all people and by having a convincing manner.

Tony Benn (Lord Stansgate as was) is an very approachable and thoroughly convincing person in the flesh. He is sincere and speaks a lot of sense. He is also as mad as a box of frogs .... utterly barking. Ken Livingstone is the same, nutty as a fruitcake but utterly plausible when you talk to him. Harold Wilson was downright paranoid and certifiable, Margaret Thatcher was a lovely lady and very open to talk to but had a "Hitler" type gleam in her eye when you got her going on a pet subject. Nigel Lawson was a very nice man, extremely hospitable and very convincing. If he made the case that black was white whilst sharing a gin or two you would believe him. Alan Clark (who is/was a personal hero~ unfortunately I never met him in the flesh) was a flawed man but utterly convincing to listen to.

I think the point is ~ Do we really want to elect someone who wants the job so much that they are willing to turn any cheek, take any shit just to get onto the greasy pole or would we rather have representatives who are elected by popular acclaim and accept the task even when they are reluctant to give up their "normal" life? Personally I would favour the latter but it's never going to happen.

I dislike the party system but accept that it will never change. To UKIP or not to UKIP that is the question. I fear that if we vote for them then we may be opening a door to a Labour resurgence or at least be throwing Gordon a life-line. My vote will go Tory at the next general Election to try to rid us of Labour forever and the time after that then UKIP may well be the preferred option.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »
Over the years I have met and talked with (or listened to) many politicians, of every hue, and they have all been extremely plausible and pleasant people.

Frankly they have to be to get elected ~ What is it they say? Politics is show business for ugly people. Like most show business types politicians succeed only by being all things to all people and by having a convincing manner.

Tony Benn (Lord Stansgate as was) is an very approachable and thoroughly convincing person in the flesh. He is sincere and speaks a lot of sense. He is also as mad as a box of frogs .... utterly barking. Ken Livingstone is the same, nutty as a fruitcake but utterly plausible when you talk to him. Harold Wilson was downright paranoid and certifiable, Margaret Thatcher was a lovely lady and very open to talk to but had a "Hitler" type gleam in her eye when you got her going on a pet subject. Nigel Lawson was a very nice man, extremely hospitable and very convincing. If he made the case that black was white whilst sharing a gin or two you would believe him. Alan Clark (who is/was a personal hero~ unfortunately I never met him in the flesh) was a flawed man but utterly convincing to listen to.

I think the point is ~ Do we really want to elect someone who wants the job so much that they are willing to turn any cheek, take any shit just to get onto the greasy pole or would we rather have representatives who are elected by popular acclaim and accept the task even when they are reluctant to give up their "normal" life? Personally I would favour the latter but it's never going to happen.

I dislike the party system but accept that it will never change. To UKIP or not to UKIP that is the question. I fear that if we vote for them then we may be opening a door to a Labour resurgence or at least be throwing Gordon a life-line. My vote will go Tory at the next general Election to try to rid us of Labour forever and the time after that then UKIP may well be the preferred option.
"The secret is sincerity - once you can fake that you've got it made."
I mostly despair