Author Topic: Are Violent Computer Games Damaging ?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Are Violent Computer Games Damaging ?
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »

Activision?s Modern Warfare 2 was heavily criticised by UK religious leaders from across the belief spectrum on BBC One yesterday.

The title has drawn notable controversy for its violent content and infamous ?airport scene? ? in which gamers play the role of a CIA agent, acting undercover as a terrorist.

Chief executive of the London Jewish Forum Alex Goldberg says  ?Surely this [scene] puts the gamer in the position of being a terrorist? The whole plot here is that it?s a military commander ? whatever ? who doesn?t want to blow his cover, so he blows up innocent civilians. We?re asking gamers to be put in that situation.

?We fudge this issue about children time and time again throughout this debate. Let?s face it ? it?s children playing this game. In the Holy scriptures, when Cain kills Abel, God asks him one question: Are you your brother?s keeper? The rest of the bible is an answer to that ? and it?s a big yes. When I play this game I don?t get that answer ? I get upset.?

Fazan Mohammed of the British Muslim Forum added:

?You can?t equate it with watching TV or a movie or reading a book. This is a much more intimate experience. You?re mentally playing out the effects of violence. A lot of people make the excuse that this is sport ? that it?s just entertainment. But Joseph Goebbels ? the propaganda minister of Nazi Germany ? said his entertainment did more for the German people, in terms of creating the psyche for war and hostility towards others, than the speeches of Adolf Hitler. The idea this is entertainment is not justification whatsoever.?

So over reaction or a potential source of triggering some psychotic tendencies in individuals?

I have played some of these violent(ish) computer games - can't say they are my 'thing though ' - that is obviously Bejewelled Blitz  whistle: - but I have turned out alright  angel1

Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Are Violent Computer Games Damaging ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
Indeed you are my dear, perfectly normal.

Nurse, she's been on the computer again and now she is offing people in the day room with an axe!
I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Are computer games damaging? Not in the sense that these clerics make them out to be but they are addictive and time wasters. My son would spend all day playing if given the chance.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:58:20 PM »
Are computer games damaging? Not in the sense that these clerics make them out to be but they are addictive and time wasters. My son would spend all day playing if given the chance.
Agreed! Stupid BB!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
For those with an unstable mind, and a tendency to obtain thrills from violence, yes I believe they are......probably through playing too many violent games.  confused:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
For those with an unstable mind, and a tendency to obtain thrills from violence, yes I believe they are......probably through playing too many violent games.  confused:

But then you could say the same about movies, books, etc.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

But then you could say the same about movies, books, etc.

Yes i could, so I will.

I could say the same about movies, books, etc.  ;)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »

Unlike us on here then  whistle:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:04:20 PM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
Truth is that given statistics garnered by asking "loaded" questions of mindless idiots anyone can prove anything.

EG
"So you little scrote, you have been found guilty of beating up old ladies ~ do you now or have you ever played violent video games?"

"Yes you say, thank you, have a nice cup of tea while I process this data ........ 'Ere Bert! gorra nother one what plays games, that's the 50th this week. That should prove the case that His Highness wants to make"
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
I sometimes have the urge to kill the dog when it drops the frisbee in Wii Sports Resort.

The useless feckin animal!  cussing:
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 06:53:51 AM »
I actually have Modern warfare 2 having been a fan of the Call of Duty series  since it started and yes, the airport scene is strong but its an 18 rated game. 

Computer games are just the latest scapegoat used by people whodon't want to take responsibility for their actions, before games it was films and before films it was heavy metal (anyone remember the furore in America about backwards subliminal messaging?).

I agree thatthere are vulnerable people who shouldn't play these games but what about the average person? FPS games haven't made me go off on a killing spree, the Need for Speed series didn't turn me into a street racer, Assassins Creed & Hitman haven't turned me into a hired killer and Dragon Age Origins hasn't made me buy a sword & hack up anyone .

Blaming computer games is a simplistic argument that removes responsibility for actions. Look at the rise of feral youths and the kids they will have where proper parenting is replaced by a TV and/or games console, how are they supposed to learn the kinds of values we grew up with?  I have seen parents buy this for their kids because they are too young to get it themselves. Games have an age rating for a reason just as films do, buying something like MW2 for a 9 or 10 year old to keep them quiet is a far more damning indictment of society than violent content in the game itself.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:49 AM »
I actually have Modern warfare 2 having been a fan of the Call of Duty series  since it started and yes, the airport scene is strong but its an 18 rated game. 

Computer games are just the latest scapegoat used by people whodon't want to take responsibility for their actions, before games it was films and before films it was heavy metal (anyone remember the furore in America about backwards subliminal messaging?).

I agree thatthere are vulnerable people who shouldn't play these games but what about the average person? FPS games haven't made me go off on a killing spree, the Need for Speed series didn't turn me into a street racer, Assassins Creed & Hitman haven't turned me into a hired killer and Dragon Age Origins hasn't made me buy a sword & hack up anyone .

Blaming computer games is a simplistic argument that removes responsibility for actions. Look at the rise of feral youths and the kids they will have where proper parenting is replaced by a TV and/or games console, how are they supposed to learn the kinds of values we grew up with?  I have seen parents buy this for their kids because they are too young to get it themselves. Games have an age rating for a reason just as films do, buying something like MW2 for a 9 or 10 year old to keep them quiet is a far more damning indictment of society than violent content in the game itself.

You've never been the same since Doom II tho have you...?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »
Sine Pacman really i would have said  ;)
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:10:05 AM »
Sine Pacman really i would have said  ;)

lol: lol: lol:

Ms. Pacman!  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:10 AM »
Doom & Doom 2  cloud9: chasing after demons with a BFG and a chainsaw & hijacking the college network for multiplayer games. You are making me feel all nostalgic BM  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.