Disgusterous

Author Topic: Are Violent Computer Games Damaging ?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: Are Violent Computer Games Damaging ?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:17:03 AM »
Oh gawd - GM has gone all sepia on us whistle:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 07:20:22 AM »
Just reminiscing Miss D, dont panic  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »
Doom & Doom 2  cloud9: chasing after demons with a BFG and a chainsaw & hijacking the college network for multiplayer games. You are making me feel all nostalgic BM  lol:
How 'bout Castle Wolfenstein?  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
Young men and some not so young men have been traipsing off to beat seven barrels of hell out of each other since we dropped out of the trees, sorry chaps but on the whole it is you, the fact that they now do so in cyberspace is of no surprise.  It's how we used to get rid of much of our 'cannon fodder'.  Is what is seen on these games any worse than what some young men witnessed in WW1 WW2 and all the other wars, I doubt it.  I can't be certain as I have never seen these games. Would any of us wish to see our nearest and dearest killed/maimed in a real war scenario, I doubt it.  My son, nearly 25 joined the Army Cadets and banged and whooshed there, he also played Warhammer games, has he turned out OK, well, yes after all he had me to talk to. angel1  Are there some feral yoofs out there who I would like to see scared shitless and having to take responsibility for themselves, others and their actions, yep there certainly is.  Well, that cleared that up then. noooo:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »
They should create a slug slaughterer game specially for you Miss C ...think of the satisfaction that would bring you  lol:
Skubber

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »
They should create a slug slaughterer game specially for you Miss C ...think of the satisfaction that would bring you  lol:

cloud9:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »
I sometimes have the urge to kill the dog when it drops the frisbee in Wii Sports Resort.

The useless feckin animal!  cussing:

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »
I sometimes have the urge to kill the dog when it drops the frisbee in Wii Sports Resort.

The useless feckin animal!  cussing:

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »
TG will most definitely approve  lol:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 12:27:08 AM »
Doom & Doom 2  cloud9: chasing after demons with a BFG and a chainsaw & hijacking the college network for multiplayer games. You are making me feel all nostalgic BM  lol:
How 'bout Castle Wolfenstein?  cloud9:

The first FPS I ever played.  cloud9:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 02:45:37 AM »
Gawd it gets worse, now there are people investigating whether or not games are responsible for virtual war crimes.  Banghead  We know it isnt real, if you are so appauled by war crimes then get off your arses and deal with them in the real world. It's not as if there isnt anything constructive you could be doing at the moment instead of jumpiing on the feckin' bandwagon just to get some media attention.  cussing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8373794.stm

Video games depicting war have come under fire for flouting laws governing armed conflicts.

Human rights groups played various games to see if any broke humanitarian laws that govern what is a war crime.

The study condemned the games for violating laws by letting players kill civilians, torture captives and wantonly destroy homes and buildings.

It said game makers should work harder to remind players about the real world limits on their actions.

War without limits

The study was carried out by two Swiss human rights organisations - Trial and Pro Juventute. Staff played the games in the presence of lawyers skilled in the interpretation of humanitarian laws.

Twenty games were scrutinised to see if the conflicts they portrayed and what players can do in the virtual theatres of war were subject to the same limits as in the real world.

"The practically complete absence of rules or sanctions is... astonishing," said the study.