Author Topic: The all new "Where are you today?" thread  (Read 3495958 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: The all new "Where are you today?" thread
« Reply #5205 on: November 21, 2010, 12:43:41 PM »
Mum has been very specific about her wishes ....not just 1 place but 2 for the scattering of her ashes. Her 2 favourite places when walking the dogs in the Quantocks.

She even managed to buy a coffin ( wicker thing) and store it in her sisters loft , and didn't tell my stepdad as she didn't want to alarm him. You should have heard him retelling this to the undertaker....." Oh yes, we already have a coffin, don't know what it looks like though , where it was bought from or anything else. She was a bloody stubborn woman "  lol: lol: lol:

Difficulty is she had asked for some specific travel arrangements but changed her mind a few weeks ago....and now some of the stirrers are saying that she was bullied into this when she was unwell and not knowing what she was saying. FFS she knew what she was saying right up to the end.

Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5206 on: November 21, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
Mum has been very specific about her wishes ....not just 1 place but 2 for the scattering of her ashes. Her 2 favourite places when walking the dogs in the Quantocks.

She even managed to buy a coffin ( wicker thing) and store it in her sisters loft , and didn't tell my stepdad as she didn't want to alarm him. You should have heard him retelling this to the undertaker....." Oh yes, we already have a coffin, don't know what it looks like though , where it was bought from or anything else. She was a bloody stubborn woman "  lol: lol: lol:

Difficulty is she had asked for some specific travel arrangements but changed her mind a few weeks ago....and now some of the stirrers are saying that she was bullied into this when she was unwell and not knowing what she was saying. FFS she knew what she was saying right up to the end.

I have seen such problems before. My belief is that the 'interefering' parties are doing it from a sense of guilt that they did not do enough when your Mum was still alive.

It is for their peace of mind, not yours, or memory of your Mum.

Firmly tell them that you are next of kin, you are making the arrangements and that Mum would be very upset by all their squabbling and interference.

Sadly, it will be similar when the distribution of sentimental items happens later.

You are a sensible woman and the "bloody stubborn" force is strong in you as well.  ;)

You can and will cope admirably.   
I mostly despair

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5207 on: November 21, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »

I have seen such problems before. My belief is that the 'interefering' parties are doing it from a sense of guilt that they did not do enough when your Mum was still alive.

It is for their peace of mind, not yours, or memory of your Mum.

Firmly tell them that you are next of kin, you are making the arrangements and that Mum would be very upset by all their squabbling and interference.

Sadly, it will be similar when the distribution of sentimental items happens later.

You are a sensible woman and the "bloody stubborn" force is strong in you as well.  ;)

You can and will cope admirably.   

Wot Darwin said. ^^^^

I don't think any of us on here will be in any doubt that you will carry out your Mum's wishes to the letter.  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5208 on: November 21, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
My Ma in Law never got round to scattering FiL's ashes as she had wanted to as she had a stroke and then went blind. The ashes are in an urn on my Brother in Law's mantle, next to an urn with his partner's dog's ashes. He lives in fear of getting them mixed up when MiL dies and leaving her scattered for eternity with the dog whilst the FiL ends up in the pet cemetery........ You couldn't make it up and I know it is no laughing matter but ........  noooo:

As for your interfering relatives. Tell them to take a hike! I too have had this problem in the past which is why my will stipulates exactly how I want to be disposed of, order of "service" etc. I shall haunt any b*gger that tries to change it!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #5209 on: November 21, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
Got back from work and attempted to hoover up the bag of sticky toffee popcorn which had overturned on the floor in the back of my car last night.  My eldest very kindly handed me a cup of tea and took over the hoovering.  He has also took the jug of water out of my hands which I was trying to fill the screen washer container up with and added screen wash stuff as well.   cloud9:

I think I am very lucky.  surrender:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5210 on: November 21, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
Got back from work and attempted to hoover up the bag of sticky toffee popcorn which had overturned on the floor in the back of my car last night.  My eldest very kindly handed me a cup of tea and took over the hoovering.  He has also took the jug of water out of my hands which I was trying to fill the screen washer container up with and added screen wash stuff as well.   cloud9:

I think I am very lucky.  surrender:

He's very good with things like that isn't he...?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #5211 on: November 21, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »
Yes he is...  cloud9: cloud9: cloud9:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Online Nick

« Reply #5212 on: November 21, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
And with colours.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5213 on: November 21, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »

A man of many talents like...  ;)

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #5214 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27:10 PM »

Excellent  happy001

(BM, you do seem to have ready access to emoticons like that as well as Elton John and Soft Cell songs)
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #5215 on: November 21, 2010, 11:09:44 PM »
.. bet he likes The Pet Shop Boys too.... like.  evil:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5216 on: November 22, 2010, 05:59:26 AM »

THE KENNEL BOILER SAGA CONTINUES

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5217 on: November 22, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »

Excellent  happy001

(BM, you do seem to have ready access to emoticons like that as well as Elton John and Soft Cell songs)

.. bet he likes The Pet Shop Boys too.... like.  evil:

Wot are you suggesting like...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5218 on: November 22, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »
That you may have lost your roll of lino?

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5219 on: November 22, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »
That you may have lost your roll of lino?

Gasp!  eeek:

Gayer:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:11:30 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs: