Disgusterous

Author Topic: The all new "Where are you today?" thread  (Read 3509840 times)

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: The all new "Where are you today?" thread
« Reply #7605 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
Imaginary cats are much better behaved.  Would you like one?  eveilgrin:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #7606 on: February 20, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
After a visit to the gym, I am now the right side of a full breakfast.

Day started badly - got up 3 times between 5 and 8, to go to work!
Maybe it's more than a cold I've got.

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7607 on: February 20, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
Sounds like a bad attack of "Workitiss" to me .... Get to the pub for an antidote quick.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7608 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
Imaginary cats are much better behaved.  Would you like one?  eveilgrin:

No!  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #7609 on: February 20, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
Back home after a weekend away trying to offer sensible, wise words and advice to nephew #1 who, having left school, doesn't know what to do next  noooo:
I have seldom felt so useless  Shrugs:
Well, if he buggers off around the world with his mates I just hope some shock of the experience will launch him into action and decisions  surrender:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7610 on: February 20, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
If he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life a "gap year" could be the right thing .... there's not much going for youngsters in the UK at the moment.
Oz looks good as a place to "find yourself" and a land still filled with opportunities should be just what he needs ... also you have people there to keep an eye on him or at least provide a "bolt hole" if needed.

The THW has her life all mapped out but no plan B which I find just as worrying.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7611 on: February 20, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
If he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life a "gap year" could be the right thing .... there's not much going for youngsters in the UK at the moment.
Oz looks good as a place to "find yourself" and a land still filled with opportunities should be just what he needs ... also you have people there to keep an eye on him or at least provide a "bolt hole" if needed.

The THW has her life all mapped out but no plan B which I find just as worrying.

I had my life all mapped out... I still don't know where I put the bloody thing...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7612 on: February 20, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
TBH I had no idea, when at school, what I wanted to do. I had a vague thought about teaching but Father vetoed Grammar School and Uni on the grounds that such things were "not for the likes of us" .... after many rows I signed up (at 15 and a half) as an apprentice in the RAF... more to get away from home and Father than any ideals about fighting for Queen and Country. Best move I ever made. Had  a great time, took to it like the proverbial duck to water but then Harold Wilson came along with his capitulation over Aden and suddenly I was made redundant after 6 years service. At least I got a nice letter from Her Majesty thanking me for my service rather than an email from a faceless individual in the MOD which seems to be the modern way of asking for the tin hat back.
The mistake of getting married at age 19 and having the first kid when we were only 21 and then getting made redundant by the RAF meant that I spent the next 30 years working each day to afford to go back to work the following day. Hell of a culture shock from swaggering around with stripes on me arm to working in a builders yard I can tell you!
After that it was one job after another ~ forever chasing an extra £1 a week in the pay packet. I've sold most things to all sorts of people, worked as a postman, a greenkeeper on a golf course, worked as a barman in a number of pubs and hotels, managed shops, been a union shop steward until I drifted into the manned security business (guarding factories, managing shifts) until I divorced and remarried then took on a pub. Then the health issues started and we sold the pub only to find ourselves having bloody kids so I had to go back to work .... back into the security world as sales rep, then sales manager and finally compulsory retirement at age 51.

So no life plan, no career map just work, eat, sleep and work again.

I don't have any real regrets ... even managed to become friends with my Father when I was 30ish but not at all what I would want my kids to do with their lives. In fact I don't know if it is still possible to clamber up that particular ladder.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:58:57 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #7613 on: February 20, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »

I had my life all mapped out... I still don't know where I put the bloody thing...  noooo:

lol:

My map turned out to be a magical mystery tour and I still have little idea of where I'll end up  razz:

@ Snoops:  Yes, I think when nephew #1 hits Oz and NZ it'll be a real eye opener and yes, he's very lucky to have crash pads at various intervals. One can really only hope that he keeps reasonably safe.

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #7614 on: February 20, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »

Prolly in 'The Map Room' which is the area directly underneath 'The Brains Trust'. Seek and ye shall find and all that shit! razz:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7615 on: February 20, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »
Miss C in the map room with a compass .... did I win?  ;D

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7616 on: February 20, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »

Prolly in 'The Map Room' which is the area directly underneath 'The Brains Trust'. Seek and ye shall find and all that shit! razz:

Bit late now tho eh...?  ;D
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7617 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »

Bit late now tho eh...?  ;D

A BIT?  Far too bleddy late I'd have thought.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7618 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
Miss C in the map room with a compass .... did I win?  ;D

A pair of compasses is a more likely weapon...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick