Disgusterous

Author Topic: Cheques no more  (Read 965 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Cheques no more
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:46:12 AM »
Darwin's first trip to the bank.....

The days of the chequebook are now officially numbered.

Like cassette tapes and other casualties of the digital age, the chequebook will be going the way of Woolworths, its demise prompting a nostalgic reaction from those who might not have used one in years, but just liked knowing that they were there.

Its fate was sealed yesterday, when the Payments Council decided to abolish the method, which has been in decline for 20 years. Bank customers now have until October 2018 to use up their dog-eared chequebooks.

Although four million cheques are still written every day this is down from 11 million at the system?s peak, in 1990. The high processing cost ? about ?1 per cheque ? has hastened the decline.

Last year Tesco and Marks & Spencer joined the growing number of retailers that refuse to accept them. Now, no major supermarket chain accepts cheques, nor do most petrol stations and high street stores. Consumers who pay by cheque are increasingly seen as more of a credit risk than those who use plastic.

Paul Smee, chief executive of the Payments Council, said: ?There are many more efficient ways of making payments than by paper in the 21st century, and the time is ripe for the economy as a whole to reap the benefits of its replacement.?

No more excuses either - like the cheque is in the post  sad24:
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Cheques no more
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »
Darwin's first trip to the bank.....

lol: lol: lol:

evil:
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »
I'll have to be paying some of my smaller suppliers who don't have c/c terminals, in goats then I suppose. ::)

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »
I'll have to be paying some of my smaller suppliers who don't have c/c terminals, in goats then I suppose. ::)
Cake vouchers?
I mostly despair

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
Cake vouchers?

No, just goats. They don't make goat CAKE yet.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
Cake vouchers?

redface:

I thought 'goats' was Scally slang for 'notes'.

Like a ten pound goat.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
Cake vouchers?

redface:

I thought 'goats' was Scally slang for 'notes'.

Like a ten pound goat.

point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »
So much for the Government's much vaunted "Basic Bank Account" that doesn't issue plastic but exists in order that the less credit worthy can have their pensions, benefits etc paid into it and enjoy basic banking facilities at their soon to be closed for good local post office.

Opening a bank account is hard enough these days ~ THW needed one for her grants etc to be paid into ........... ALL major banks wanted to see a utility bill in her name but there are no utilities that would ever let her have an account that would attract a bill at the age of 16 without me as guarantor  Banghead. Would they accept me as her guarantor? .... Would they fvck as like. Eventually the RBS saw sense, perhaps aided by the fact that I have two accounts with them, she has had a saving account with them since she was 4 and I control the accounts for two local organisations that also bank there.
BUT
"A debit card you say?"  happy001 "Once you reach 18 and have demonstrated that you can responsibly handle your account" ..... "Yes Miss Snoopy you can have a cash card to enable you to use the 'hole in the wall' .... NO! You may not have a cheque book .... How do you pay your fees? Well I'm sure your father will be happy to pay those using his cheque book/debit card/credit card .... you can then draw the cash and repay him"

Question I asked .......... "How does she demonstrate that she can responsibly handle a bank account if she cannot write a cheque or use a debit card and can thus only withdraw money over the counter or from an ATM provided she has money in the account in the first place?"

Answer ..... "Those are the roolz" I nearly slapped the smug b@st@rd  Angry9:

But I replied "So what you are saying is that you want her to let some money build up in her account so that you can have free use of it. If she empties her account each term you will presumably see her as irresponsible"

"Those are the roolz"
 cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »
Cheques are still the de facto method of payment here...

In fact, it takes sooo long for the chip 'n pin machines to dial up and get authorisation it is often faster to write a cheque...  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
With 4 million being written daily in the UK it is hardly a little used facility here. Looking at the cheque books in my desk I write about 60 cheques a year on my personal accounts and some 20 a month for the two organisations where I act as treasurer or secretary. Not earth shattering but I am only one person .... I don't have the facility to accept payment in any form other than cash or cheque ~ so how will I get paid?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
With 4 million being written daily in the UK it is hardly a little used facility here. Looking at the cheque books in my desk I write about 60 cheques a year on my personal accounts and some 20 a month for the two organisations where I act as treasurer or secretary. Not earth shattering but I am only one person .... I don't have the facility to accept payment in any form other than cash or cheque ~ so how will I get paid?

They'll force you to rent a chip 'n pin machine of course...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »

They'll force you to rent a chip 'n pin machine of course...

That is my fear ~ not only rent their stooopid machine but pay them a commission on every fooking card payment accepted.

Snoopy will be moving to a cash only system before then  cussing:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »
Will  you accept magic beans ???

Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »
I am open to "Trading" offers  whistle:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
The new feudal Lord  worthy:
Skubber