Disgusterous

Author Topic: Didnt the designers think that this may be a tiny problem?  (Read 452 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Didnt the designers think that this may be a tiny problem?
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
So the US military have been using recon UAV's that use networks anyone can hack into with off the shelf software?? How the hell did that get past the sales pitch? "Oh yes if you lose the reciever you can just nip down to the local computer store and buy an off the shelf product to see what the drone sees"   point:

Insurgents in Iraq have hacked into live video feeds from unmanned American drone aircraft, US media reports say.

Shia fighters are said to have used off-the-shelf software programs such as SkyGrabber to capture the footage.

The hacking was possible because the remotely flown planes have an unprotected communications link.

Obtaining such video feeds could provide insurgents with information about sites the military might be planning to target.

The breach of the Pentagon surveillance system's security is said to have come to light when footage shot by a Predator drone was found on the laptop of an apprehended Iraqi insurgent.

A senior Pentagon official is quoted as saying that although militants were able to view the video, there was no evidence that they were able to jam electronic signals from the aircraft or take control of them.

The unnamed official said the US defence department had addressed the issue by working to encrypt all video feeds provided by drones in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Predator drones can fly for several hours, remotely controlled by pilots thousands of miles away. The aircraft can carry out surveillance and attack targets with on-board missiles.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the US military continually evaluated the technologies it used and quickly corrected any potential problems it discovered.

"There's potential vulnerabilities in all of our systems," he said
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: Didnt the designers think that this may be a tiny problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »
 whacky115
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:24:47 PM »
I suppose it could have been worse, it could have been one of the UCAV's. Then again given the US military's history of friendly fire how would we tell fhe difference.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
No doubt our American Cousins will now seek to extradite the hackers and incarcerate them for life  ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »

"I see you are trying to find insurgents, would you like some help?" 
I mostly despair

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »

"I see you are trying to find insurgents, would you like some help?" 

happy001 happy001