Author Topic: Fixing the drug problem  (Read 1787 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Fixing the drug problem
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:09:33 PM »
Am I missing something here?
I've been thinking about this on and off for weeks/months now. rubschin:

Surely the way to rid this world of its drug problems would be to legalise ALL drugs, and make them available on the open market via your GP, who would assess and talk to you first before handing over the prescription.
I can think of nothing but positives doing this.
If you want to drug yourself to death, then you can do it legally after being warned of the dangers.
Drug smuggling and dealers would become unwanted, irrelevant and extinct.
Drug related gang violence would diminish completely.
Drug related 'stealing for drugs money' crime would cease, ranging from common street thieving, breaking into cars to violent use of weapons.
Less murders.
Courts and prisons would become less congested.
Insurance premiums for losses would come down.
Cops would have more time to deal with more pressing matters such as terrorism prevention.

Probably many more advantages that I haven't thought of tbh.
What would be the dis-advantages? I'm actually struggling to think of any.

Are my views just too simplistic, and too good to be true?

All in all, for the majority of us who DON'T do drugs, this would surely solve many problems and worries overnight, and possibly help the poor sods that are addicted.

What you think then?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:12:37 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Fixing the drug problem
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:46:41 AM »
Bloody obvious. Should have done it years ago.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »
The downside to your plan is that drugs kill people and their rellies would want to sue the doctor who prescribed them. So where do we find Doctors, who take an oath to preserve life, willing to sign prescriptions that will ultimately lead to the death of the patient?
I agree that making drugs legal could lead to a drop in criminal activity that exists only to feed a drug addiction but I don't think solving the problem is that easy.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »
Alcohol kills more people than heroin and ecstacy and marijuana and cocaine and crack cocaine and every other illegal drug put together.

The only other legal drug that kills more is tobacco. Seems like our forefathers picked the wrong ones to legalise!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »
The wrong ones to tax you mean

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
The wrong ones to tax you mean

Indeed!

Not that I use it, but marijuana grows naturally. Bu saying you can't smoke it, are you saying that God made a mistake. Can you imagine it, after the seventh day God took a good look round and was pleased with his creation and then..."Oh no, look what I've done - I've gone and left pot everywhere. Now I'm gonna have to create conservatives..."

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 08:49:34 AM »
The downside to your plan is that drugs kill people and their rellies would want to sue the doctor who prescribed them. So where do we find Doctors, who take an oath to preserve life, willing to sign prescriptions that will ultimately lead to the death of the patient?
I agree that making drugs legal could lead to a drop in criminal activity that exists only to feed a drug addiction but I don't think solving the problem is that easy.

Obviously a bit of 'fine tuning' would be required, but I really believe this is the way to sort out this massive problem, and rid this wretched cuntry of ours of this increasing problem once and for all.
I forsee nowt but progress. Growler is going on a campaign.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
The problem is that you can't un-invent drugs any more than you can booze or fags...

They should be legalised and taxed.

I read somewhere the amount the 'war on drugs' cost the UK - it was absolutely staggering - billions of ?s.

Imagine the immediate and massive boost to the economy by taking tax from it, reducing the costs of 'enforcement' and the reduction in criminal activity. You could put every addict on the UK on methadone and a 'drugs programme' for what it costs to get coppers to arrest people smoking a joint...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
Alcohol kills more people than heroin and ecstacy and marijuana and cocaine and crack cocaine and every other illegal drug put together.

The only other legal drug that kills more is tobacco. Seems like our forefathers picked the wrong ones to legalise!

Perhaps they kill more because they are legal?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
I am not disagreeing ~ just pointing out that if I were a Doctor I would not want to sign a prescription that I knew damned well would kill the patient.

Methadone is OK in a limited sense but those who use it want a bigger high so go back to the hard stuff. When that doesn't work they move up again and so it goes on. Unlike ciggies (few people have been killed by a smoker crazed on nicotine) and as for booze...... Well we know that kills some drinkers in the end just as ciggies kill some smokers BUT seldom do drinkers kill to obtain a higher state of drunkenness. They only become dangerous behind the wheel of a car when there is a sound argument that it is not the driver that kills but the vehicle, make cars of rubber or ban them altogether and end death on the roads? (That is a bit like saying that guns kill, not the person pulling the trigger) but we could argue all night about this, many have in fact but got nowhere in the end.

Napalm is the answer or Agent Orange  eveilgrin:

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
Doctors prescribe all kinds of drugs that have unwelcome side effects. I have long thought that all drugs should be legalised for the reasons spelt out in earlier posts
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:31 PM »
Indeed ~ as my cardiologist said recently "All I can prescribe are more poisons" but the difference is he doesn't intend them to be lethal.

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
Intent is the critical factor then?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »
Obviously

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
Doctors prescribe all kinds of drugs that have unwelcome side effects. I have long thought that all drugs should be legalised for the reasons spelt out in earlier posts

Absolutely.
ANY downside in terms of cost would be far outweighed by the many many hundreds of millions of pounds saved annually by legalising all this filth.
Who actually cares about these addicts who CHOSE willingly to administer themselves in the first place?
If you choose to slowly kill yourself by whatever means, and you are a adult, then so be it as far as I'm concerned.
We could afford to spend a great deal more on resources educating up and coming generations regarding the perils.
I smoke because I WISH and willingly CHOSE to of my own free will.
I know the dangers, but no one gives me a fig if it kills me or not, and I'm sure Mrs G won't be considering suing the tobacco companies when I finally cough and splutter myself to death.